Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Demerits question

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    I thought your licence had to be surrendered on the spot if you went over 100 demerits now.
    Unless it's changed recently, and I doubt it because due process, the points aren't recorded against your licence until either the accompanying fine is paid, or the fine is passed to the District Court for collection. Once this happens and the >100 points is reached, a suspension order is generated, which is sent to a local popo station for service. If you're not home for service and the popo get lazy, they can then file the order in the system and pull it out the next time you have a "contact" with he popo eg, roadside. You can still hold on to your actual licence (tell 'em you lost it) but you're still suspended regardless, once you've been served with the notice.

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    Demerits in force from date of ticket, not date of payment.. I know a couple of people who have been caught out by that one

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi-on-wheels View Post
    Demerits in force from date of ticket, not date of payment.. I know a couple of people who have been caught out by that one
    The Demerit Points are dated the date of the offence and this is what matters when establishing that 100 points is accrued over a 2-year period. The point was that (to my understanding) the wheels of bureaucracy don't spin quickly and if you get a ticket that puts you over, it's going to be weeks or months before you have to pay the piper, rather than on the spot as Erelyes suggests.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    The point was that (to my understanding) the wheels of bureaucracy don't spin quickly and if you get a ticket that puts you over, it's going to be weeks or months before you have to pay the piper.
    That'd be right, the fucking Jocks are behind it all.

Bike
    Between bikes
    The Demerit Points are dated the date of the offence and this is what matters when establishing that 100 points is accrued over a 2-year period. The point was that (to my understanding) the wheels of bureaucracy don't spin quickly and if you get a ticket that puts you over, it's going to be weeks or months before you have to pay the piper, rather than on the spot as Erelyes suggests.
    You're right, I was partly mistaken.

Demerits apply effective from the date of offense, but the demerit points only go on when you are actually found guilty (i.e. pay the ticket, or it goes to collections, or you lose in court).

However, once you go over the 100pt threshold, you are then obliged to surrender your licence. Including if the Popo pull you over. In the past it was only a bailiff that could seize your licence.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    In the past it was only a bailiff that could seize your licence.
    Yeah, nah. I lost my licence in either 1996 or 1997 to excess Demerit Points. It was a popo that knocked on my door that morning and I believe they've always had the ability/power to serve a suspension roadside. You see it happen often on Police 10-7 where a random has their suspension served roadside and have done for yonks too. I think you're right about the Bailiffs being involved, just not the exclusively bit. It makes sense as it frees up the popo for keeping our roads safer revenue collecting.

A tip for those who might need it; If you're applying for a Limited Licence, seek a supplimentary vehicle to be added to that Licence - normally they only include your primary vehicle, often a work or company vehicle. The thing is, if that particular vehicle it deemed unusable during the period of your Limited Licence and you have to drive another, you must have that vehicle's rego number added to the Limited Licence, otherwise technically you're driving while disqualified. DAMHIK.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Yeah, nah. I lost my licence in either 1996 or 1996 to excess Demerit Points. It was a popo that knocked on my door that morning and I believe they've always had the ability/power to serve a suspension roadside. You see it happen often on Police 10-7 where a random has their suspension served roadside and have done for yonks too. I think you're right about the Bailiffs being involved, just not the exclusively bit. It makes sense as it frees up the popo for keeping our roads safer revenue collecting.

A tip for those who might need it; If you're applying for a Limited Licence, seek a supplimentary vehicle to be added to that Licence - normally they only include your primary vehicle, often a work or company vehicle. The thing is, if that particular vehicle it deemed unusable during the period of your Limited Licence and you have to drive another, you must have that vehicle's rego number added to the Limited Licence, otherwise technically you're driving while disqualified. DAMHIK.
    I chalked up 100-and-mumble demerits back around 05?. I was then busted for 'participating in an illegal drag race', car impounded, but still had licence in hand. Was only a while later when a MOJ officer came knocking to take my licence away, which was fairly moot as I had a date set to go to court to get my ass suspended anyhoo.

Served the 'demerit suspension' and the 'boy racer' suspension concurrently, though.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Thread Information