Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TL1000R 5th Gear

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Sure is. But that shouldn't lock the wheel though...so am wondering just what's going on. Especially as no metallic bits came out in the oil...
    Hooking two gears at once will lock everything up pretty quick.

I doubt anyone will want to take a two and a half K punt that anything in that crank case can be salvaged though.

Pity, always liked the TLR.

Bike
    motocompo
    I was picking a bent selector fork. Our 600 did that, hooked two gears at once & stripped one completely due to the 10 inch wide rear tyre.
    Grumph picked up the pieces & gave me back a perfect engine.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Suzukis .............

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Hooking two gears at once will lock everything up pretty quick.

Pity, always liked the TLR.
    That's true! And me too. I'd actually like to own one one day.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Give it a decade and they will be collectible.

Bike
    2012 Fireblade
    If u can find the time (and the workshop space) its worth the effort - just be sure to find what caused the problem initially. I had the same issue on my current bike (blade) - but it happened very rapidlly after a particularly vicious slam back into gear from a false neutral (ie i was really stupid)
    After a full strip down i was able to follow the chain of disaster.
    Sheared off a tooth which went through the gear cluster - which tried to expand and then punched a shift fork through the drum - with half the drum gone the next gearshift left it in 2 gears and locked up - luckily while dead straight on the southern motorway
    Ebay found me a complete gear cluster from a low k wreck in Auz - also find a few available in the US and the UK -(and I was also offered a full HRC box from TenKate Honda for more money than the bike cost me) - i was pleasantly suprised when a couple of new bearings were included in the package.
    Loads of hours flushing checking run outs etc - but total cost including oil pump seals, pick up seals etc (and 2 extra oil and filter changes in the first 1500 km afterwards) - just over $800. Plus the satisfaction of doing it myself.
    Was off the road for 3 months though - didnt wanna rush anything - done over 20000km since then with no issues - i cut the first few oil filters apart after use - to check if anything was still floating around - clean as a whistle.
    Havent had any issues with jumping out of gear since either - the original gears had visible wear on the dogs - so previous owner was obviously as bad as me - i do use the clutch a lot more than i used to

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Thread Information