Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could 2 smokes make a comeback?

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama

Could 2 smokes make a comeback?

Could we possibly see 2 stroke motorcycles make a comeback? Would love to see the 500cc Moto GP era back That would sort out the men from the boys.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/7951...the-two-stroke
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    Could we possibly see 2 stroke motorcycles make a comeback? Would love to see the 500cc Moto GP era back That would sort out the men from the boys.

won't be any different, electronics ride the bikes these days.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post

Yes, riding with two fingers on the clutch.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    Yes, riding with two fingers on the clutch.
    Who you jiving with that, Cosmik de Bris?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1978 Puch Maxi Sport Mk II
    2 strokes might dominate all motorsports in the near future thanks to new paradigm shift in their design as shown by the Ryger kart engine: 125cc 70hp@18,000rpm, overrev to 30,000rpm, & no more excessive emissions than those heavy engines with two extra strokes

Bike
    2008 R6
    I'd say there has been a small comeback..... A LOT of the bikes I see on the trails are 2-strokes. Also SUTER and others have recently made 500cc 2-strokes for the track.... well Ronax also makes it for the street, if your jurisdiction allows them.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ronax-500-launch/

The Suter is dead sexy... billed as track only.
    http://www.sportrider.com/suter-raci...-gp-track-bike

There is just a certain coolness about not having the engine getting in the way of the engine... 2-strokes just feel so alive.

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    I'd say there has been a small comeback..... A LOT of the bikes I see on the trails are 2-strokes. Also SUTER and others have recently made 500cc 2-strokes for the track.... well Ronax also makes it for the street, if your jurisdiction allows them.

The Suter is dead sexy... billed as track only.

There is just a certain coolness about not having the engine getting in the way of the engine... 2-strokes just feel so alive.
    These are just examples of private factories building small volume of 2 stroke bikes / engines. What I was referring to was the big 3 (Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda) as well as the Italians putting out 2 stroke road and off road bikes where there is again a racing formula for them. Like what it use to be before the 4 stroke MotoGP bikes came in? If the main reason for dumping these were the emissions, then if the factories could produce a clean 2 stroke formula that is possibly cleaner then 4 stroke, would the governing bodies allowed them to race again?

Or am I just day dreaming here?

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    gonna be hard to boom when everyone seems to be trying to make transport electric :P

would love to see a modern DFI 2-stroke motorbike though, might finally get light adventure bike

Bike
    2008 R6
    They just have to market them as a Hybrid....... have a small electrical motor in there and it would be hailed as revolutionary.... regardless of the actual environmental impact.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I'd almost buy one just for the amusement factor.

But that's why I buy any bike.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    If someone can convince the accountants that there is a market, maybe.

Sadly I fear the days of the designers and engineers convincing large companies to produce something for sale just because it's cool are long gone, and it all comes down to dollars, unless as above some tenuous link to environmental superiority can be claimed in which case they'll be in boots and all.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    If someone can convince the accountants that there is a market, maybe.

Sadly I fear the days of the designers and engineers convincing large companies to produce something for sale just because it's cool are long gone, and it all comes down to dollars, unless as above some tenuous link to environmental superiority can be claimed in which case they'll be in boots and all.
    Except that today's MotoGP bikes have nothing in common with what we can buy at our local bike shops. That's what the WSBK formula is for. Those bikes are lot more closely related to our street bikes. I don't think MotoGP was ever developed as a platform to launch new bike models. Allot of the technology filters through to our road bikes, but in general these are one off bikes that showcase factory development and talent. I would love to see the 2 strokes make a comeback as a clean formula in MotoGP. But as someone has mentioned before it would be too restricted by modern riding aids to make any resemblance to the old 500cc 2 stroke formula. Back then it was win it or bin it, and riders had to develop a level of respect to the violent nature of those beasts. I think also that is why sadly we will not see the likes of Schwantz's, Doohan's, Gardner's, Rayney's and Lawson's. Rossifumi is the last of the great bunch even though he came in at the end of that era. Todays riders although talented have got it a lot easier then the OG's. The rider aid electronics pretty much do everything for them. I mean, most crashes these days are front end loss of tire. Back in those days most were highsides. Just shows the level of respect the old bikes required.

Still chuckle at Schwantz's comment when asked about his secret of very late braking that made him so famous. " I wait till I see god, then I brake" Classic......

Bike
    2008 R6
    IMO - I think MotoGP should be a ride what you bring kinda series with only 2 rules. 1 = Spec Tires, 2 = Spec and very low tech ECU.

It is easy to make power - 2 strokes, turbos, superchargers, more cc..... etc... it's hard to control power without electronics.

The problem is that the manufacturers do not want this..... so it will likely never happen.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...they will never be back while there is such a shortage of the green stuff that they overlay with the grey stuff to make the red shit that they need for the really A1, Powerbands, the smokers need, to really get their rocks off...eh?...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Bring back J.A.W
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information