Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often should I replace my helmet, really?

Bike
    Street Triple R

How often should I replace my helmet, really?

OK, so prompted by this thread:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-Made-in-Italy

I realised that my "go-to" helmet was made in 2005 - probably bought in 2006. Its been up the track and I figured, yeah, 11 years is long enough.

I thought I would retire it and go for the other helmet I had the same (because I have a lot of sunk money in visors mainly). Except it was made in 2007. Bought in 2008.

Shit. It is pristine condition. Lives in a helmet bag and used occasionally and mainly for trackdays.

So, am I OK to use it? Should I just throw it away (and the selection of clear, tint, pinlock and halftint visors I have for it)?

IF I do need to replace it, why?

Even my Arai is way older than I thought. and I know how many times it has been worn: twice.

May as well bust out the Davida Jet.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    It sounds like you have looked after it and it's never had a ding. Storage is the main issue, as the foamy stuff between the plastic lid and the soft linings can break down faster under the wrong conditions.

I don't change my helmet regulatly enough either, but then I ride a lot more safely these days

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    5 years used to be the word. However I am sure I saw a advert for Arai or similar offering USA warranties longer than that.

Despite careful storage I have found the foam can start to break down (cheek pads etc) - all these are replaceable on decent lids and I do replace mine as despite washing them they get that helmet smell. Most importantly check straps and connectors.

Also helmets are always improving and upgrading at a reasonable rate so you get the advantage of a lighter, better ventilated and quieter lid (hopefully).

My helmet issue is worse than yours - current lid is maybe 1.5 years old - purchased when I had a black, bike however the vivid orange/green on black graphics cosmetically clash with my bright red Ducati. What's a boy to do? Even Mrs B commented when I got the new bike (and quieted down when I told her how much to replace the helmet).

It's bugging me - far more concerning than the safety of a 10 year old lid bawahahahahahahahah

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Yip.... I have a blue bike, with a blue set of leathers. My sister bought me the blue lid I asked her to buy for my birthday, but sadly it was in Ducati RED
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Certainly change you helmet if it takes an impact (even drop the ground while carrying it) other than that certainly when you find another that you really want.
    I mostly change when I get a new bike, which was once almost annually.

We have given two helmets to local Volunteer Fire Brigades for their training, one was about a year old but had been dropped.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Main concern will be the styrene impact layer and the straps. Both are subject to breakdown through sweat and mold. Our high UV also has a part to play in this. 5 years seems to be the go and I would use that as a base. A helmet in constant use for 10 years IMO is way past its best.

A lid not used much and stored in a dry environment away from light could well be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    A lid not used much and stored in a dry environment away from light could well be fine.
    Yes, this. I have a 10-year-old airbrushed Arai (Signet) helmet never dropped, lightly used (1 month in 10 on average), stored overseas in air-conditioned darkness until I fly'n'ride. A couple years ago out of curiosity I had an industrial lab take samples of the original fi'glass rocker ventilation thingies (had spares) and also biopsy and test the polystyrene, and compare with a 1-year-old also-Arai (Vector) lid. No statistically significant deterioration in either the shell material or the 'styrene liner.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Main concern will be the styrene impact layer and the straps. Both are subject to breakdown through sweat and mold. Our high UV also has a part to play in this. 5 years seems to be the go and I would use that as a base. A helmet in constant use for 10 years IMO is way past its best.

I'd tend to agree with these thoughts on it.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Ive just replaced my Shark helmet after 4 years constant use with an updated (same model) one id tried on at Oulton Park a couple of weeks back, it was only then i noticed how nice and snug my lid is supposed to fit.

The straps etc look ok on my old lid but who really knows, i know ive felt plenty of stones impact / bounce off it even if visibly it doesnt show them.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    My helmet issue is worse than yours - current lid is maybe 1.5 years old - purchased when I had a black, bike however the vivid orange/green on black graphics cosmetically clash with my bright red Ducati. What's a boy to do? Even Mrs B commented when I got the new bike (and quieted down when I told her how much to replace the helmet).
    Get a wee test pot of red house paint and paint your lid. What could go wrong?
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Get a wee test pot of red house paint and paint your lid. What could go wrong?
    Thought of this. But I have read too many warnings over paint affecting some lids. I'll need to check the construction of it.

Have though of stick on sign writing graphics - good project for a winter night or two!

Bike
    A
    Age of the lid is not a big deal I'd say, usage and sun exposure be the key.

A lid used daily will be done in 3-5 years, but that special lid kept in a careful manner will live a longer life.

Personally I run with one lid, keeping the old one as a spare, until a new one is bought. Then repeat. But hey, each to their own.

Bike
    Predator
    Thought of this. But I have read too many warnings over paint affecting some lids. I'll need to check the construction of it.

Have though of stick on sign writing graphics - good project for a winter night or two!
    Red plastidip and 15 minutes would sort it, and you can always peel it off easily later.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    Red plastidip and 15 minutes would sort it, and you can always peel it off easily later.
    I wouldnt. In a slide it could mean the helmet gripped on the road and strained/broke ya neck. Thats why helmets had a hard finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

As a rough (very) rule of thumb, my highly unofficial take on this is that you can paint or put stickers on fibreglass helmets - if you must. Plastic helmets can be suseptible to solvents so become problematical. The Snell approved hats are most likely glass as they are required to be very stiff. The European hats are more likely to be plastic.

Good luck : )
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information