Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: So what's the best super naked currently?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    There's always this.
    I see Stu's got a swag of MVs on the floor down there. Some very sharp pricing involved too.

Not tempted just yet though...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    There's always this.
    Thats just nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Brutale 1090r it was one of them or the Ducati when looking last year.

Ducati dealer had a demo bike. Plus I was looking for a change from the IL4. But man those Brutales are nice - you need to take a lawn chair and sit next to it for a hour - you keep finding nice wee design bits.

Fairly exclusive in NZ too - you do not see many on the road. Plus they appear to be keenly priced presently (don't know if that is a good or bad sign!)

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Brutale 1090r it was one of them or the Ducati when looking last year.

Ducati dealer had a demo bike. Plus I was looking for a change from the IL4. But man those Brutales are nice - you need to take a lawn chair and sit next to it for a hour - you keep finding nice wee design bits.

Fairly exclusive in NZ too - you do not see many on the road. Plus they appear to be keenly priced presently (don't know if that is a good or bad sign!)
    They are part of Harley now? So leak oil?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    They are part of Harley now? So leak oil?
    Nope - Harley sold them back for a $1 at the start of the Global Financial Meltdown - official word was HD was getting back to it's core ...... (compressors).

Mercedes-AGM purchased 25% of MV. I suspect in a ego reaction to the VW group purchasing Ducati.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Nope - Harley sold them back for a $1 at the start of the Global Financial Meltdown - official word was HD was getting back to it's core ...... (compressors).

Mercedes-AGM purchased 25% of MV. I suspect in a ego reaction to the VW group purchasing Ducati.
    Aren't MV on the edge of going under yet again...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I've had a KTM 990 SM, that was a hooligan toy. Adding 300cc for the SDR? Uh yeah, sure, it definitely needed more go

Boss had a 2nd gen Tuono with Akra pipes. mmm, still have a soft spot for that thump and rumble which the V4 just doesn't quite have.

In my book, you'd need to define best. For me, that isn't about the paper power, or who has 1hp more than another. You can't really use the 160HP some of them have, but the 990SM with long travel suspension and 115HP ish, now that was a hoot. So yeah, probably a Euro for "best" for me. It will bring out that passion, but will probably be more expensive and less practical than a smoothly refined jap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Is 160 hp super anymore?

And I have to wait until I see one in the flesh but looking at images some of the Yamaha's superness is deleted by appearing to be hit with a ugly stick during production.

Actually styling of modern nakeds is not so 'naked' - farking little screens and ghey stuff like that. Plus whats with the Transformer look?

I still think if you are after a big bore naked you can't go past converting one of the Japanese superbikes. Provided you have the skills. Pick up a run-out on last years model or similar and spend the change on a new top yoke to hold standard fatbars, cables to suit and a nice tidy up once removing he plastic.
    Well 160 may not be quite there in horsepower terms some of the euro super naked (but it's not that far behind) I would respectfully argue 160hp is plenty on a naked bike and its torque that makes naked bikes fun, Yamaha have done considerable re-tuning on the engine, gearbox and chassis to make it more relevant for road going riding while not completely chopping the nuts off the R1 dna. Looks? They're subjective and I must say its growing on me and it's ripe for blingage.
    Each to their own though, just because I like it doesn't mean anyone else has to.
    I'm wondering if they'll do a tracer version of it or at least a half faired one to replace the FZ1 S.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    In my book, you'd need to define best. For me, that isn't about the paper power, or who has 1hp more than another. You can't really use the 160HP some of them have, but the 990SM with long travel suspension and 115HP ish, now that was a hoot. So yeah, probably a Euro for "best" for me. It will bring out that passion, but will probably be more expensive and less practical than a smoothly refined jap.
    You're spot on Alan. I guess it very much depends on what you want the bike for and where you are in your riding career. For what you might define as "normal" road riding, oodles of horsepower is fun, but doesn't necessarily offer much advantage. Funnily enough, I don't have as much affection for the GSX-S 1000 as the Street Triple, despite the higher spec. If you look at power to weight ratio, they aren't a million miles apart but part of it might be that I find an in line 4 a bit too sterile and turbine-like where as others love 'em. Next purchase, I'll be using my heart as well as my head

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    You're spot on Alan. I guess it very much depends on what you want the bike for and where you are in your riding career. For what you might define as "normal" road riding, oodles of horsepower is fun, but doesn't necessarily offer much advantage. Funnily enough, I don't have as much affection for the GSX-S 1000 as the Street Triple, despite the higher spec. If you look at power to weight ratio, they aren't a million miles apart but part of it might be that I find an in line 4 a bit too sterile and turbine-like where as others love 'em. Next purchase, I'll be using my heart as well as my head
    Cheers Blackbird, I had a good look over the GSXS last week in palmy Nth. Gunna take the demo out for a while when the weather is better.
    But sitting on it feels good for the old knees and neck. I'm keen to sample the ABS and Traction control.But its the engine detuning that concerns most.
    I might run it over my usual road to compare.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Cheers Blackbird, I had a good look over the GSXS last week in palmy Nth. Gunna take the demo out for a while when the weather is better.
    But sitting on it feels good for the old knees and neck. I'm keen to sample the ABS and Traction control.But its the engine detuning that concerns most.
    I might run it over my usual road to compare.
    No worries!

Don't get me wrong, it's a really good machine but I just don't have the special bond I had with the Triple. Good value for money too. It is detuned compared with the GSX-R but a better description would be re-tuned because as others have said, it's the bottom end and mid-range response which has most relevance to a naked bike. On the GSX-S forum, the biggest complaint is a sensitive throttle and a bit lumpy at the bottom end. There are fixes but it's something that doesn't bother me as the Triple had quite a sensitive response off a trailing throttle too.

If you're interested in a series of blog posts I've done on it, start here: http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/201...pressions.html then work forward to some more recent posts about it. Hope that they help.

Cheers,

Geoff

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Funnily enough, I don't have as much affection for the GSX-S 1000 as the Street Triple
    Thats a really key point. My last IL4 was really good, but boring as butter. My current VTR twin feels alive. But in saying that our 1200 Bandit is not a bad bike. Some bikes give back a lot more feel I guess.

The 2 I feel are at the top are the BMW S1000r and the Tuono. Tuono will have more feel, but can you get parts? LOL

Bike
    Blog Entries
    The NZ bargain naked will be a used Suzuki - purchase is low now so used will be fantastic!

Plus Suzuki are bound to feature them in a Summerfest in 2017 or 2018 and sell them new for some ridiculous price!

These is a very nice one running around CHCH - tasteful mods - Yoshi (sounds great), tail tidy, carbon screen. Small changes that make a visual and audible difference.

Japanese/Italian/German/English - all different 'feel'. I think the Japanese get a hard time over their bikes - look at the press on the low end fueling of the Suzuki - if it was European it would be considered 'character' and they would throw accolades at the rush once it fuels properly. A Japanese bike doing the same? It's a fault apparently.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    The NZ bargain naked will be a used Suzuki - purchase is low now so used will be fantastic!

Plus Suzuki are bound to feature them in a Summerfest in 2017 or 2018 and sell them new for some ridiculous price!

These is a very nice one running around CHCH - tasteful mods - Yoshi (sounds great), tail tidy, carbon screen. Small changes that make a visual and audible difference.

Japanese/Italian/German/English - all different 'feel'. I think the Japanese get a hard time over their bikes - look at the press on the low end fueling of the Suzuki - if it was European it would be considered 'character' and they would throw accolades at the rush once it fuels properly. A Japanese bike doing the same? It's a fault apparently.
    I get properly fucked off when people wank about European bikes having more soul.

It's something they've been convinced of, to extract more money on purchase.

Fuck, the S1000RR is soooo much a Japanese clone that had a few more gadgets when it was released. It's a good bike like, but the prestige of it not being Japanese made is of ZERO value in real terms.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I get properly fucked off when people wank about European bikes having more soul.
    Id rather not have a bike that sounds like a blender. Not heard the BMW in person so cant comment.

But turn this up, same motor as the Tuono. Find a jap bike that sounds that good and I will be interested.

http://ridinglovers.online/index.php...sound-exhaust/

Thread Information