Thread: Importing an old triumph (in pieces) from the UK - Advice needed

Bike
    1973 Harley Davidson XLCH

Importing an old triumph (in pieces) from the UK - Advice needed

Hey guys,

Have been scouring the internet trying to find some tips to no avail, what im wondering is what is the process regarding shipping a bike over from the UK - the thing is, the bike is almost totally dismantled. It's an old '57 triumph that I started restoring back in the UK and never finished and I want to finish it off here.
    A friend of mine over there has packed it up in a crate and has a shipping logistics guy on the case.
    What sort of paperwork (if any) will I need?
    When I bought the bike it had been freshly imported from the US and had no UK or US paperwork.

Any information I can find regarding the subject applies to complete running bikes which isnt very useful for me in this case.
    Any tips, information or a nod the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bike
    bandit
    I haven't done this - but mates have in the past ...

The only serious suggestion I could make is to bring it in as "used motorcycle parts" ... as this will cost you less in duty than "a motorcycle".
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Friend of mine has recently got a 60's Honda with no paperwork back on the road.
    Join the Vintage Car Club Motorcycle Section and they will assist, if your under 50 you can be a youth member.
    They have a club in Penrose, PM me me if you wish to join as I can 'second' your application.
    Its a paperwork, identification and Vinning process.
    I've got a 53 Thunderbird project with no docs so will have to do it one day.

As you don't have any US or UK rego docs I don't think declaring it as a Motorcycle here is any advantage....might be wrong.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Friend of mine has recently got a 60's Honda with no paperwork back on the road.
    Join the Vintage Car Club Motorcycle Section and they will assist, if your under 50 you can be a youth member.
    They have a club in Penrose, PM me me if you wish to join as I can 'second' your application.
    Its a paperwork, identification and Vinning process.
    I've got a 53 Thunderbird project with no docs so will have to do it one day.

As you don't have any US or UK rego docs I don't think declaring it as a Motorcycle here is any advantage....might be wrong.
    Great thankyou for the tips! will contact you regarding club when I get the bike in country!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    I haven't done this - but mates have in the past ...

The only serious suggestion I could make is to bring it in as "used motorcycle parts" ... as this will cost you less in duty than "a motorcycle".
    Thanks for the tip!

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    I brought a bike here in parts. It came as parts, because it was a pile of parts. No hassle at all.
    I had paperwork to show it was mine and got it registered once I rebuilt it.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    I brought a bike here in parts. It came as parts, because it was a pile of parts. No hassle at all.
    I had paperwork to show it was mine and got it registered once I rebuilt it.
    How do you prove ownership of a pile of parts? I dont have receipts for anything...

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennyblanko View Post
    How do you prove ownership of a pile of parts? I dont have receipts for anything...
    If you owned it in England, then you must have some sort of paperwork ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Thread Information