Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Aprilia Caponord?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post

Yes I tried a BMW, an 1150GS and a 1200GS. I wanted to like the 1150 but I couldn't.
    You should have tried the BMW S1000XR.

Weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Lol send the $$$ and I will happily reconsider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Lol send the $$$ and I will happily reconsider
    But you get what you pay for

Those efficient Germans outsourced the manufacture of my headlight to the Italians. It broke. The replacement (under warranty thank goodness) arrived pre-broken in the exact same manner, despite excessive amounts of packaging. The 2nd replacement with minimal packaging was perfick. Really, Italians and electrics?

Dunno if I'd be buying a whole bike made of Italian stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    But you get what you pay for .......................
    Dunno if I'd be buying a whole bike made of Italian stuff
    true

BUT

if they were truly that bad, would they sell any? Companies making "better" products have gone bust before now.
    Like I said before, pretty sure the "good" marques have their horror stories. I was at a ride on Sunday where a fella was riding a 1290 KTM, that was his second, the first one had so many problems that KTM couldn't sort out they had to give him a new one. The Austrians and Germans lay claim to efficiency. According to the Swiss, they are both amateurs.

When I actually have the thing for a while we shall see
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Like I said before, pretty sure the "good" marques have their horror stories. I was at a ride on Sunday where a fella was riding a 1290 KTM, that was his second, the first one had so many problems that KTM couldn't sort out they had to give him a new one. The Austrians and Germans lay claim to efficiency. According to the Swiss, they are both amateurs.
    Good point, mate had that with a 1190R Adventure. 2013 was in the shop 26 times in the first year, so they cut him a deal to replace with a 2014 and it was much happier.

I did ask what he was thinking getting another
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    So, I intend to write a more in depth review later with some more kms clocked up but just by of an update.....

In my limited experience this is a heck of an enjoyable bike to ride. By far and away its the most comfortable thing I have ridden over a decent (>150kms) distance. I have to experiment with the suspension set up as its currently ex factory except s few turns of rear pre-load. That said, it felt very good on the roads I have ridden to date.

I picked the bike up on Saturday past, on Wednesday I left it back for the 1000km service. I have done my commute (140km round trip) a couple of times and at the weekend in the stellar weather Mrs UK and I headed North (the BH being on her CB500X) We did the paraparas, Raetihi, Ohakune (stopping for eclairs) then a stop over with family in Taihape. Next day was a straight run down SH1. Easy as, no sweat and fun.

The run to Whanganui got some heat in the tyres to break them in. A note about those, Dunlop Qualifiers are the OE. 180 wide on the rear. Without trying too hard I have used all the tyre. There is a 6inch rim on this baby and doing some reading around it was supposed to come with a 190 tyre OE. I think I might go that way when replacing to give myself a tad more rubber.

SH4 was excellent as always. This is a big V Twin, quite the change from my IL4 GSX. Fuelling in the low revs is not happy but keep em up and the muffler growling and everything is well in the world.

The fuel gauge is odd, seems to get low very quickly then hang around there for a long time. 350kms is pretty easy, for a 24l tank I would expect that! Fuel consumption was not a primary focus so will look at it again.

I got a California Science screen for it. For the first time in my life I have a screen working the way its supposed to. 100kmh with the visor up and its all good. I can actually hear the engine much better, love it. Plus not cleaning bug guts from my visor every stop is a nice change.

Brakes are awesome

Gear box is nicely positive

switch gear is differently laid out but falls to hand (or finger) ok, its just a matter of relearning.

I would like the clock and odo/trip stuff to be a separate display not a scrolling one but its easy to change with rocker under my left thumb so no drama.

riding modes, mostly in touring, all good. Sport, oh yes, we will have fun......

Traction control, didn't experience it, probably a good thing, means its not too intrusive.

It looks very good.

Getting some toys added, the factory heated grips, bars and lights and an ECU map update. Looking forward to a deep and meaningful relationship.

Bike
    bandit
    Aprillia Caponord 1200 (Travel Pack)
    This bike looks to provide a lot of bang for the buck, especially at the runout prices going at the minute.
    Can anyone provide some feedback on ownership?

Specifically:
    reliability (particularly of the bells and whistles)
    availability of spares
    availability of aftermarket accessories
    suspension, quite a few of the reviews I have read from overseas talk about it being too softly sprung

Cheers in advance for the sensible answers and thank you for the entertainment with all the others
    I'm sure the bike is excellent ...

But the name "Caponord" to me brings up visions of Fast Chicken ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Argh - stop it - I'm Jealous already...

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    I'm sure the bike is excellent ...

But the name "Caponord" to me brings up visions of Fast Chicken ...
    indeed, there is some controversy as to what it translates to. The offering I like is "Big Boss"

In any event my wife has named it the Ice Wolf, not that she goes for the dramatic or anything.

And yes, the bike is very good.

I know you are not being disparaging of the bike, just querying the name choice but funnily enough there were those who were quite disparaging of my TNAB. Boring, old, underpowered, badly suspended, heavy, ugly, uninspiring, typical Suzuki recycling, shit, low quality. All these were words used to describe the bike. Yet when I decided to change, some have said "why would you change from the reliable Jappa?" I sort of don't give a shit really, it was mine and I enjoyed it. I suspect the same will be the case with the......Ice Wolf/Chicken

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Argh - stop it - I'm Jealous already...
    You will see it around sometime, yell out if you do.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    If you have enough clearance between swingarm/hugger/anything else, consider a 190/55 tyre. You'll get contact patch from the extra width while still keeping a nice profile for cornering. Only thing is, it's quite a different sized tyre to a 180/55, hence the clearance proviso.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    If you have enough clearance between swingarm/hugger/anything else, consider a 190/55 tyre. You'll get contact patch from the extra width while still keeping a nice profile for cornering. Only thing is, it's quite a different sized tyre to a 180/55, hence the clearance proviso.
    yep, understand the proviso. Consulting the Aprilia forums it seems to be a workable and very successful solution. I was very surprised to see the whole (180) tyre being used as I genuinely didn't think I was pushing that hard. Thankfully a 190/55/17 is readily available in the model tyres I would like to consider, Angel GT, T30, PR4 etc

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    yep, understand the proviso. Consulting the Aprilia forums it seems to be a workable and very successful solution. I was very surprised to see the whole (180) tyre being used as I genuinely didn't think I was pushing that hard. Thankfully a 190/55/17 is readily available in the model tyres I would like to consider, Angel GT, T30, PR4 etc
    Not all 180 tyres are created equally (or any size really). Some have a very flat profile, or the edge of the tread doesn't really "wrap around". I remember buying my ZX10R, the previous owner couldn't get it close to the edge, I did it easily on the OEM tyre, went for a curvy 190 and finally got close to the edge of that...

I'm even certain for my GSA, that the PR4T rear is slightly more flat than a regular PR4 in the same size (T I was running off the edge, reg I'm just on the edge, but the front shows more lean...). Never predictable stuff

Bike
    bandit
    indeed, there is some controversy as to what it translates to. The offering I like is "Big Boss"

In any event my wife has named it the Ice Wolf, not that she goes for the dramatic or anything.

And yes, the bike is very good.

I know you are not being disparaging of the bike, just querying the name choice but funnily enough there were those who were quite disparaging of my TNAB. Boring, old, underpowered, badly suspended, heavy, ugly, uninspiring, typical Suzuki recycling, shit, low quality. All these were words used to describe the bike. Yet when I decided to change, some have said "why would you change from the reliable Jappa?" I sort of don't give a shit really, it was mine and I enjoyed it. I suspect the same will be the case with the......Ice Wolf/Chicken
    As a real bandit rider (Not disparaging the TNAB GSX1250FA) I can appreciate that ... I just opened the throttle to those people and dare them to keep up ..

(Don't get me wrong - I know the Bandit will not keep up with any modern litre sports bike .. but most fuckwits can't ride them that fast .. there's plenty who can tho' ...)
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Well I spent a weekend with Mrs UK coming with me to ride bikes two up. We even considered some very different bikes to the original list, including but not limited to ST1300 and FJR1300.
    Mrs UK very much liked being on the back of the Aprilia, comfortable and secure. When we took out a demo DL1000 we got approximately 2kms when she asked me to turn back to the showroom. Bit of a difference!
    The VFR800X was high on my list, I am not a wee fella, there was little to no room left for the chief. Strike that. The 1200 version I have ridden before. It was ok but the model I rode had real fueling issues which sort of spoiled it for me. Relatively speaking its weight is not so manageable as others.
    The Africa Twin got a try, as did the Duc Multi. The AT is clearly a very good bike, I do not desire or need a proper off road bike and the saddle is not to my pleasing, then Mrs UK tries to get on and is not keen, same with the Duc.

Here is the kicker, we were stood there, contemplating an excellent deal being offered on an ST1300, very tempted. The wife (who rides herself) "ok so forget all the smaller bikes you have looked at, thats not you, also, are you ready for the steady safe and reliable? the predictable and steadfast? Plenty of time for that later, why don't you extend yourself a bit and get something different with a wee bit of mongrel, then rethink in 3 or 4 years again?" I love this woman!

Deposit paid on the Aprilia. I hear the warnings about support. What is life without taking a few risks eh?
    The Caponord has a bit of Latin passion that I haven't experienced in any vehicle I have ever owned. Its not like buying bikes is good financial planning is it? I like AllanB's advice, I like it and I am buying it. Will report back when I get a few kms under my belt.
    I see a Prilla on TM, What happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information