Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bus Lanes, Bus Only Lanes, Lane filtering, etc

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50

Bus Lanes, Bus Only Lanes, Lane filtering, etc

On Sunday I went to a half day course sponsored by AT on Commuting by motorbike. If you're an Auckland bike commuter I'd recommend attending, if only for the info on free motorbike parking in the city - eg. Downtown AT carpark has about 80 free bike parks on the top level. Well worth the $10 it cost, thank you AT for paying for the ProRider instructors and sending a representative along to clarify ACC regulations which impact motorbikes

But a couple of pieces of information I found really interesting were:

Bus Lane vs Bus Only Lane:

Motorbikes are allowed to use lanes marked "BUS LANE".

Motorbikes are NOT allowed to use lanes marked "BUS ONLY", Bus Only lanes are almost exclusively on the motorways such as the Northern Busway, and AT are planning extensions of Bus Only lanes throughout the motorway system.

The on ramp entering the Northern Motorway heading south from Esmonde Road is a "BUS ONLY" lane, one of the attendees had been stopped on it twice though only warned each time. If heading south on the Northern Motorway, don't go around the Onewa Rd interchange on the Bus Only bypass!

White "B" traffic lights:

If using a Bus Lane and stopped at the head of the queue ahead of a bus, a motorbike is allowed to use the White "B" traffic signal to cross the road so as not to hold up the bus. These bus only signals are activated by a transponder on the bus, so if there's no bus behind you the White "B" traffic light won't come on.

Traffic lights which don't cycle:

Traffic lights are triggered by an induction coil, if there is a traffic light which your bike regularly doesn't trigger let AT know as the system is adjustable. I don't think I received an answer to what I should do at such a light, the rider's consensus was to wait a couple of cycles and then proceed with care when the way is clear.

Lane Filtering:

One of the ProRider instructors defined Lane Splitting as legal, IF passing a car on its right while keeping to the left of the lane marking. He said a couple of Cops had attended courses and they'd stated informally that they overlooked minor lane splitting breaches if the rider is not being foolish, eg. maximum of only 20 - 25 km/hr difference in speed with the traffic being passed. Apparently right hand indicator is OK, hazard lights are illegal. Though I'd have thought that when lane splitting, I was the hazard. (Personal comment, not from the course: When lane splitting, I pull in to the lane again if I'm not passing vehicles and I've reached 40 km/hr)

Lane Filtering:

Lane filtering is OK, but lane filtering is passing between lanes of stopped vehicles to move to the front of a queue at the traffic lights. Also highlighted was the number of cars running red lights, so if you've lane filtered then check for cars coming through the red lights before you move off.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    White "B" traffic lights:

If using a Bus Lane and stopped at the head of the queue ahead of a bus, a motorbike is allowed to use the White "B" traffic signal to cross the road so as not to hold up the bus.
    I had a fight with TPTB over this one before this was legal. I think they agreed with me about how dangerous it was having a distracted bus driver take off when the bike in front didn't (got off the ticket).

These bus only signals are activated by a transponder on the bus, so if there's no bus behind you the White "B" traffic light won't come on.
    Not true. Or at least not everywhere. I've activated them with just the bike (no buses) many times.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    MT-10
    Thanks for the info good to know about the bus light and going first.

The bus light comes on at corner of ti rakau and harris rd even when theres no bus. I just wait for green light though.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Lane Splitting:

One of the ProRider instructors defined Lane Splitting as legal, IF passing a car on its right while keeping to the left of the lane marking. He said a couple of Cops had attended courses and they'd stated informally that they overlooked minor lane splitting breaches if the rider is not being foolish, eg. maximum of only 20 - 25 km/hr difference in speed with the traffic being passed. Apparently right hand indicator is OK, hazard lights are illegal. Though I'd have thought that when lane splitting, I was the hazard. (Personal comment, not from the course: When lane splitting, I pull in to the lane again if I'm not passing vehicles and I've reached 40 km/hr)
    Sorry to be pedantic, but I think you missed this.

And the hazards thing, I think the problem is you can't indicate while you're travelling with them on, which is why it's not allowed.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    And the hazards thing, I think the problem is you can't indicate while you're travelling with them on, which is why it's not allowed.
    I think it's more that you're technically impersonating a cop.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Not true. Or at least not everywhere. I've activated them with just the bike (no buses) many times.
    Agreed, I've activated plenty of B lights with no bus present. I assumed it was just a coil in lane, typical sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Sorry to be pedantic, but I think you missed this.

You're technically performing an overtake (with the whole, must have space in front yada yada), hence the indicator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    Bus Lane vs Bus Only Lane:

Motorbikes are allowed to use lanes marked "BUS LANE".

Motorbikes are NOT allowed to use lanes marked "BUS ONLY", Bus Only lanes are almost exclusively on the motorways such as the Northern Busway, and AT are planning extensions of Bus Only lanes throughout the motorway system.

The on ramp entering the Northern Motorway heading south from Esmonde Road is a "BUS ONLY" lane, one of the attendees had been stopped on it twice though only warned each time. If heading south on the Northern Motorway, don't go around the Onewa Rd interchange on the Bus Only bypass!
    Wow, I used the Bus Only lane joining from Onewa Road (not the same bit of road but next door) every day for 7 years and I was never stopped! Mind you, I didn't do it if there was a cop waiting at the bottom because I knew damn well it was Bus Only. Shooting around there was the best bit of my commute, though, so I was willing to pay a fun tax if it was levied. The warnings sound sensible.

Cheers - Chasio

PS Same experience with white B lights as others e.g. Fanshawe Street used to change just for a bike.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Side note (because I don't really want to bring up that chestnut again, or test it myself) BUS ONLY doesn't comply with the law, which says that vehicle types must be specifically excluded (like, no motorcycles, no bicycles etc). Saying one vehicle type only doesn't actually comply with that...

Of course there is the other factor of what sort of bus lane it is... or special vehicle lane... argh
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Therefore Gremlin, Transit lanes wouldn't be legal either, or cycle lanes. Are there emergency vehicle lanes? Just imagine the size of the sign excluding every other vehicle.

A T3 lane has a sign showing a symbol of a bus, a car with three occupants, a bicycle and a motorcycle. So it's not legal because it doesn't specifically exclude other vehicles?

A T3 sign would have to show a car with two occupants, and a car with one occupant, and a truck, and a van, and a ute, and a taxi, maybe a mobility scooter. I'll go with the existing system, it's workable if not the exact letter of the law.

And isn't a sign allowing certain vehicles an exclusion of all other vehicles? I wouldn't try it in court. Or maybe it's worth it as Judges microscopically examine every word of the law and make decisions totally out of touch with reality.

The AT representative said they issue a large number of infringement notices on the Onewa Rd T3 lane every day to cars with less than three occupants, the AT have a camera unit which takes a photo looking straight at the car and then another sideways through the side windows. I asked if it was hundreds per day and he said, "Not quite".

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    What about going up the footpath?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Therefore Gremlin, Transit lanes wouldn't be legal either, or cycle lanes. Are there emergency vehicle lanes? Just imagine the size of the sign excluding every other vehicle.
    I think this was particularly about the bus lanes, it's been previously covered that bus only doesn't specifically exclude which is required under the laws. Yes, like you, I'd rather just not deal with the grief, go to court to argue etc.

Re the T lanes, several have been caught with dummies on seats to make it look like there is someone...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    What about going up the footpath?
    That old chestnut.

It's illegal to ride your moped or motorcycle on a footpath.

Local authorities can issue a specific exemption to a company using motorcycles to deliver mail, parcels, junk mail etc. DX Mail, NZ Post et al rely on this exemption, despite often not having applied for it. It's just assumed as being granted.

I can't imagine the shit fight that will erupt when a mail man runs over an elderly pedestrian on his CT110. Most delivery folk are employees, and assume that they are allowed to ride on a footpath.

Down here in Chur Chur I contacted the council to see who had been given exemptions under the rules and nobody had ever applied. NZ Post and DX Mail had just assumed their right to operate on the footpath.

That might have changed, but I doubt it. If I was one of their riders I'd want to view the council authority before riding on a footpath.

It's a council by Council thing. Eg if DX Mail in Auckland applies for and gets an exemption from the ACC, that doesn't cover anyone riding on a footpath anywhere else.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    That old chestnut.

It's illegal to ride your moped or motorcycle on a footpath.

Local authorities can issue a specific exemption to a company using motorcycles to deliver mail, parcels, junk mail etc. DX Mail, NZ Post et al rely on this exemption, despite often not having applied for it. It's just assumed as being granted.

I can't imagine the shit fight that will erupt when a mail man runs over an elderly pedestrian on his CT110. Most delivery folk are employees, and assume that they are allowed to ride on a footpath.

Down here in Chur Chur I contacted the council to see who had been given exemptions under the rules and nobody had ever applied. NZ Post and DX Mail had just assumed their right to operate on the footpath.

That might have changed, but I doubt it. If I was one of their riders I'd want to view the council authority before riding on a footpath.

It's a council by Council thing. Eg if DX Mail in Auckland applies for and gets an exemption from the ACC, that doesn't cover anyone riding on a footpath anywhere else.
    Mail carriers have a right within law to do so.

Would be a giggle to see a cop give it a go on the House busses they ride.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Mail carriers have a right within law to do so.

Would be a giggle to see a cop give it a go on the House busses they ride.
    I hear ya.

Here's the Road User Rule which deals with it.

Footpaths
    2.13Driving along footpath
    (1)A driver must not drive a motor vehicle along a footpath.
    (2)Subclause (1) does not apply to a person who rides a moped or motorcycle on a footpath in the course of delivering newspapers, mail, or printed material to letter boxes if the road controlling authority has authorised the use of the footpath for that purpose.
    Compare: SR 1976/227 r 14
    Clause 2.13(2): added, on 1 November 2009, by clause 9 of the Land Transport (Road User) Amendment Rule 2009 (SR 2009/253).

Ipso facto, ya can't do it unless the Road Controlling Authority ( e.g. council) says so.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I hear ya.

Here's the Road User Rule which deals with it.

Footpaths
    2.13Driving along footpath
    (1)A driver must not drive a motor vehicle along a footpath.
    (2)Subclause (1) does not apply to a person who rides a moped or motorcycle on a footpath in the course of delivering newspapers, mail, or printed material to letter boxes if the road controlling authority has authorised the use of the footpath for that purpose.
    Compare: SR 1976/227 r 14
    Clause 2.13(2): added, on 1 November 2009, by clause 9 of the Land Transport (Road User) Amendment Rule 2009 (SR 2009/253).

Ipso facto, ya can't do it unless the Road Controlling Authority ( e.g. council) says so.
    They gotta be able to catch you first.

Thread Information