Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilux v Ranger 4x4 double cab?

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries

Hilux v Ranger 4x4 double cab?

Looking at buying new and interested in hearing from people who have made this choice and why. Manual or auto etc
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Looking at buying new and interested in hearing from people who have made this choice and why. Manual or auto etc

...do a Crumpy type test drive with both models and then ask your/a woman which one they like the best and what colour...everyone else will talk shit...

Bike
    raptor 1000
    just bought a new hilux, goes good, better than previous 011 hilux, i prefer auto over manwell, cant comment on ranger apart from a mate has a manual one and wishes he bought a auto cos they are shite in manual

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    just bought a new hilux, goes good, better than previous 011 hilux, i prefer auto over manwell, cant comment on ranger apart from a mate has a manual one and wishes he bought a auto cos they are shite in manual
    ...serious this time, but only hearsay, from aussie cuz over here recently...he likes the towing capabilities of the Ranger but it doesn't have the top end...thats my bit of bullshit...?...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Cool, this is the kind of feedback I am after. The Ranger tops all the shootouts pretty much but My mate just bought a hilux cos he says it is just nicer to drive. The Hilux is the slowest ute over 400m out of the top 8 sellers but seems to be trading heavily on its heritage. It is very nice to drive however and I still have to drive the ranger to compare.
    My previous model lux, manual, has a too tall first gear, this is a common niggle. The new one still seems to have a tall first gear and sixth is made for autobahns only it seems?

Bike
    TF125
    I heard a similar story about the Ranger being a dog with a manual box. Anyway, Transit Custom, FTW!

Bike
    none at moment
    Haven't heard of any major issues with new Hilux's, and we haven't had any come through where i work but Know of four Rangers that have had trouble with the autos. My mates has been back to Ford three times, he's now at the stage he's told them to take the thing away and give him his money back, manual ones seem better.

Bike
    husaberg
    I haven't had the latest 5 cylinder Ranger, but I have had both the new Hilux and the Previous Ranger as both work and private vehicles.
    The previous Ranger was better both on and off the road could climb further and was more durable with less overhang and a better ride height.
    Work had issues with the diffs, gearboxs (and the steering and suspension but these had lift kits, as they needed them) on the Hilux's
    Yet no issues at all with the Fords
    That said the Toyota has a much better resale value.
    Co-incidentally work went to Nissans (I'm pretty sure they were a lot cheaper.)

I don't like autos, but I do like really my misses new CVT Mitzi Lancer (but I shudder to think what it would cost to fix with its computer controlled hydraulics)

PS the Ranger 5s sound a little knocky to me even from new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Work had issues with the diffs, gearboxs (and the steering and suspension but these had lift kits, as they needed them) on the Hilux's
    Co-incidentally work went to Nissans (I'm pretty sure they were a lot cheaper.)
    PS the Ranger 5s sound a little knocky to me even from new.
    So your work has had all these issues, and then gone to Nissan, all since last december?

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Worked for both dealer groups.

Did nothing but fix shit on rangers at ford.

Did nothing but service Hilux's at Toyota.

After sale service was better at ford but it had to be and didn't really make up for the fact that you were back there again or were driving a loan car for a week while we tried to work out WTF was wrong.

Enough Said.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...jappy holdens, 6 or seven...the other one, fuck all...

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    Used to look after about a hundred toyotas at solid energy, nothing but shit and expense. The BT50's auto are the best availableat the moment.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    raptor 1000

Blah

i have just had the driveshaft replaced under warranty as the old one had a clung bang thud when you took off as aparantly it was to tight in the shafty bit, common problem here and in aus, all sorted no probs

Bike
    husaberg
    So your work has had all these issues, and then gone to Nissan, all since last december?
    No as its a fleet they turn them over gradually they stopped buying the hiuxs about 15 months ago due to the issues, they started on the Nissans about 2 years ago as a trial with just a few. Then they just kept buying them
    The whole fleet now appears to be going Nissan, I changed job OCT.
    Toyota and Ford used to give very good discounts, that I know for sure, it used to be about 10G even cockies used to be able to negotiate that.
    Hold on till fieldays.
    (shit I never even noticed the 2016 hilux was more then a face lift)

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Used to look after about a hundred toyotas at solid energy, nothing but shit and expense. The BT50's auto are the best availableat the moment.
    A guy I know swears they had a Toyota Japan guy out to look at Stockton as they were having diff problems before we were, they said he came up and watched and seen them driving off road on the rocks and he just shock his head and said "no no no they are for on the roads"
    Can you confirm the story or is it a West Coast "rural" legends
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...it's obvious by now that you really need a Great Wall...

Thread Information