Thread: Track Riding Wellington

Bike
    ZX6R

Track Riding Wellington

Hi Guys

Thanks a mill for accepting me

I am moving over to Wellington during the next few weeks. I just wanted to know if there is any road racing tracks near by? I see there is a bucket racing scene there which I'm very interested in. Was hoping to buy a Yamaha r6 and do a few track schools??

Bike
    1998 CBR 900RR
    Strange nobody has answered this one. No track close to Wellington the closest is Manfield in Fielding which is about 2-2.5 hours away depending on where in Wellington you are driving from. Buckets race much closer in Kaitoke on the cart track and also more central I think but not sure where.

Manfield is a fun little track though and worth the drive/ride for a bit of fun.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Manfeild is about 160km north of Wellington adjacent to Feilding.The buckets race at Kaitoke 11 km north of Upper Hutt

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy900 View Post

Manfield is a fun little track though and worth the drive/ride for a bit of fun.
    No offence intended but Manfeild (not Manfield) has to be the most boring track in NZ. Best described as four straights reluctantly joined by turns.

I stopped going there for fear of falling asleep mid session and crashing.

Dave- Sure give it a go it's all we have in reach. Taupo is much better but sadly it's 4.5 hours away. But it makes for a sweet weekend away. Once I rode up on a Friday night. Track day Saturday until 4pm then rode straight home to Wgtn- totally rooted. Never tried that again.

I have fond memories of Levels, just outside of Timaru.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    2 x 07 GSXR1000, 99 TL1000
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    No offence intended but Manfeild (not Manfield) has to be the most boring track in NZ. Best described as four straights reluctantly joined by turns.

I stopped going there for fear of falling asleep mid session and crashing.

Dave- Sure give it a go it's all we have in reach. Taupo is much better but sadly it's 4.5 hours away. But it makes for a sweet weekend away. Once I rode up on a Friday night. Track day Saturday until 4pm then rode straight home to Wgtn- totally rooted. Never tried that again.

I have fond memories of Levels, just outside of Timaru.
    Really! I'm sure if you're tapped out in 5th you wouldn't be falling asleep dude!..........Geez

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Did they add a straight?
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Very true! Haha

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Did they add a straight?
    Ok if we are being picky, it is 3 and a half straights reluctantly joined by turns. Basically you head straight east. Then you turn and head west- with the mid field esses added for a bit of fun. Then you turn and head straight east. Then you turn and head straight west ...repeat. It just seemed to be more fun for those that enjoy thrashing big HP motors rather than chasing knee down cornering through sweeper after sweeper. The extension had a long sweeper that I fondly remember, esp. where you go back onto the main track.

Manfeild = 7 turns (excluding the extension which was cool years ago when we were allowed to ride it)
    Taupo = 11
    Levels = 8 or sort of 9 but these are awesome sweepers.
    Ruapuna = 9 + other combos

As I said Manfeild is all we have but it pales next to riding Levels, Ruapuna and Taupo. I've not ridden Hampton Downs but it looks OK, although only 6 turns?

Hey Festus I remember you from years ago a regularly at the car-bike days at Manfeild on that TL Thou. You pushed that bike to the limits brilliantly. You still going there?
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Ok if we are being picky, it is 3 and a half straights reluctantly joined by turns. Basically you head straight east. Then you turn and head west- with the mid field esses added for a bit of fun. Then you turn and head straight east. Then you turn and head straight west ...repeat. It just seemed to be more fun for those that enjoy thrashing big HP motors rather than chasing knee down cornering through sweeper after sweeper. The extension had a long sweeper that I fondly remember, esp. where you go back onto the main track.

Manfeild = 7 turns (excluding the extension which was cool years ago when we were allowed to ride it)
    Taupo = 11

As I said Manfeild is all we have but it pales next to riding Levels, Ruapuna and Taupo. I've not ridden Hampton Downs but it looks OK, although only 6 turns?

Hey Festus I remember you from years ago a regularly at the car-bike days at Manfeild on that TL Thou. You pushed that bike to the limits brilliantly. You still going there?
    Yeah but not for a year or 2 now MD. Have parked up the TL and the race bike needs a crankshaft and rebuild :-(

Bike
    suzuki

Taupo = 11
    and what about hampton downs pukekohe and teretonga?

Thread Information