Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike security

Bike
    2016 Yamaha R1

Bike security

Hi all

So I'm picking up my shiny new bike tomorrow and thinking about security. I have a good chain but rarely use it because there is no space on a sports bike to store it apart from in a back pack. So, thinking I might get a half decent disc lock, which are good ones out there. Anyone got any recommendations for such things?

I appreciate that nothing will stop a determined thief, which is why its fully insured, so I'm just looking to put off the opportunist thief who fancies his chances at swiping a nice shiny new sports bike.

Thanks

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

Bike
    Kawasaki

Bike
    2016 Yamaha R1
    My bike is kept in a quiet area in a locked garage, so when its in there I'm not too worried. On the move is the thing for me, when I go to see mates or for trips away. If I was going on an extended trip, I'd take my chain so I can fix it to a lamp post or something. Has anyone used a Grip-Lock?

Bike
    bandit
    Put a padlock through the holes in one of the front disc - it's small and easy to carry - Just don't try riding off before you've removed it. .. put a bit of cord or twine through the lock and over your throttle so you remember it's there ..

If you want to go expensive you can by locks from a bike shop that fit onto the discs ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Back in the UK I used a u lock which went through the forks and front wheel, Abus if I recall, insurance rated. Saved my bike twice. Easy enough to strap to the bike or carry. Throttle / grip locks are ok but I would use one in conjunction with something else. Two locks will always be better than one. The longer it takes to free a bike the less appealing it is. Badly fitted Grip locks are pretty quick and easy to get around if your just a joy rider. Cut the brake lever or cut through the throttle. You only need half of either to ride.

Every time some wee shite had a go at my bike, the first thing they did was smash the ignition barrel so the bike was ready to start and had the bike in gear. As soon as they got the lock off they would be gone.

I have seen an ignition lock / cover, on line somewhere but can't remember where.

If 3 guys rock up in a van your screwed.

I've been to Paeroa a couple of times and taken my big Thatcham rated chain and padlock so we could chain bikes together. I've worn it like a bandolier but fook me, it's heavy and uncomfortable. Ended up sticking it into the panniers.... Then I stopped bothering altogether.

Whatever you get, avoid cheap and cheerful.

Think about an alarm and immobiliser system with some sort of good, portable lock.

Oh, I've often thought that taking the gear lever and front brake lever off would cause a few problems for scumbag thrill seekers.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Good insurance is the best insurance. Then you dont mind too much if it goes....you get an automatic upgrade

Bike
    2001 GSX1300R
    Blog Entries

Just be six foot three

and sixteen stone, wear biker gear and stare at every cunt that looks near you. Has worked for me for the last thirty years. Except for that one time...
    Keep the guns oiled and the temple clean
    Shit,snort and blaspheme

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    No one is going to take a R1 mate. It's not like it is a Ducati......

I'm just taking the piss...... now you have me worried about mine......

Bike
    2016 Yamaha R1
    Yeah, a determined thief or group of them you're pretty much screwed no matter what you do. I'm more trying to prevent an opportunist thief and having locks always acts as a deterrent, which hopefully prevents your bike getting touched in the first place.
    Its insured to the max and up to the bike being 2 years old, they will replace with a brand new one, so if it does get knicked, hopefully its around the 22 month mark

I think for now I'll get a grip lock, which is nice and visible to all that pass by and also get myself the ABUS 8077 disc lock, which is alarmed with movement sensors. Hopefully these two should be plenty good enough to put off any passing scum bags out there.

If the scum bag wants to follow me home to see where the bike is kept to try his luck there, good luck keeping up mate

Bike
    2016 Yamaha R1

Blah

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    No one is going to take a R1 mate. It's not like it is a Ducati......

I'm just taking the piss...... now you have me worried about mine......
    HAHAHA

Bike
    2016 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Back in the UK I used a u lock which went through the forks and front wheel, Abus if I recall, insurance rated. Saved my bike twice. Easy enough to strap to the bike or carry. Throttle / grip locks are ok but I would use one in conjunction with something else. Two locks will always be better than one. The longer it takes to free a bike the less appealing it is. Badly fitted Grip locks are pretty quick and easy to get around if your just a joy rider. Cut the brake lever or cut through the throttle. You only need half of either to ride.

Every time some wee shite had a go at my bike, the first thing they did was smash the ignition barrel so the bike was ready to start and had the bike in gear. As soon as they got the lock off they would be gone.

I have seen an ignition lock / cover, on line somewhere but can't remember where.

If 3 guys rock up in a van your screwed.

I've been to Paeroa a couple of times and taken my big Thatcham rated chain and padlock so we could chain bikes together. I've worn it like a bandolier but fook me, it's heavy and uncomfortable. Ended up sticking it into the panniers.... Then I stopped bothering altogether.

Whatever you get, avoid cheap and cheerful.

Think about an alarm and immobiliser system with some sort of good, portable lock.

Oh, I've often thought that taking the gear lever and front brake lever off would cause a few problems for scumbag thrill seekers.
    I'd definately be more paranoid if I was back in the UK

Sports bikes over here aren't that popular like back home, so demand for parts isn't that high, which is usually why organised thieves take them.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Yup, ringing is still a big problem apparently. Data dots and the like is big business.

I think your bang on with the two locks you've decided. They are obvious, and time consuming to get off. A real turn off for opportunist joy riders.

The same philosophy applies to home security. I have cameras, alarms, chains, security lights, strong locks and a Pitbull. No, seriously, I do. Prevention is better than cure.
    The dog is just for show, looks hard as nails but would sell it's soul for a tummy tickle.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Yeah, but shit Mark,you do live in Kawakawa

Bike
    Its a Boat

Grip Lock

Stuff all that chain/disc lock/reminder carry on.
    http://www.grip-lock.com/home-en/

Thread Information