Thread: South America Sept to Dec

Bike
    2008 V strom 1000
    Blog Entries

South America Sept to Dec

Hello

Leaving late September to ride Peru, Ecuador and Colombia. I have bought a 250cc Chinese bike ( Sumo Tekker) which I am having prepped by a contact outside Lima. The bike is a Chinese copy of the KTM 200/390 series. My contact uses them as tour bikes and says once he has modified them they just keep going. If you think 250cc is small, I managed 6000km in Central America on a Suzuki 125. Plan to be home Dec 22. I speak about 150 words of Spanish and have muddled through Central America, Cuba, Morocco and Spain on bikes without too much hassle.

Will probably travel around 8000km, mostly on tarmac. I plan to do a few of the "devil roads" but at a gentleman's pace as befits my pensioner status. I will be staying in hotels / hostels and anticipate my budget at around $NZ75 a day ( accom, food, fuel). Will also take in a few tourist activities which should cost around $1000 to $1500. I bought my bike for $2300 including one year's insurance, new pirelli tyres, rack etc. I can give you details of my contact who has a good reputation in the south american motorbike community. There is a buy back scheme which will give about 50% back - but I may donate the bike to local charity when I have finished. I am taking my own GPS, luggage, helmet and riding gear.

If anyone is interested in joining me get in touch. My profile is on the site along with a few blogs. As an aside I do not have any commercial interest in this and will not be seeking or handle any money . It would just be nice to share all or some of the ride with like minded people.

Regards

Plum (Peter)

Bike
    1992 VFR400R, 2007 SV650 Pro Twin
    Nice, I'm sitting here fantasising about Colombia again. Need more surgery on my foot unfortunately. I'm just trying to work out how to convince my boss to let me contract and work remotely from South America.

Bike
    Yo momma
    South America eh. Don't go up any dark alleys... or any alleys for that matter.
    Enjoy the trip but always watch your back mate.

Bike
    he's back !!!
    look forward to your ride reviews SIR
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    CB1300
    Sounds like that would be cheaper than an equivalent trip around NZ. Even if you were starting here on a bike you already owned.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Thread Information