Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MV Agusta disc ID please

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    yip sure did, brought them for my mcintosh, much nicer than those horrible wire things
    I've gone right off you, the McIntosh looks fucking gorgeous on wire wheels
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    I've gone right off you, the McIntosh looks fucking gorgeous on wire wheels
    we spent 75 years getting bikes of antique spoked wheels, and he put us back in the dark ages.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br12 (1).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	323337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!cid_ii_iblhafn60_14e4c408c0cf4529.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	323338  

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Funny especially as Ken used to make his own Hubs for those wire wheels............
    which are really just a copy of the gs750 ones of the time, nothing special and you need a keen eye to tell the difference, he also built the mcintoshes with imperial measurements, not metric too!! the first show bike had mags on it, what does that tell ya?

Bike
    BSA A10
    we spent 75 years getting bikes of antique spoked wheels, and he put us back in the dark ages.
    Maybe as the guy who designed it he had a specific reason for doing so, it would be interesting to know why

edit, lighter weight than the readily available cast alloys of the time or better rim widths?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Maybe as the guy who designed it he had a specific reason for doing so, it would be interesting to know why

edit, lighter weight than the readily available cast alloys of the time or better rim widths?
    The reason IMO was availability. Plenty of guys here who could build spoke wheels. And DID had the rims available.
    Very few mag wheel makers around at the time - Morris would have been what he wanted but you had to have US dollars for that...
    No internet remember - and no credit cards where you could just ring up and charge it...

Bike
    husaberg
    which are really just a copy of the gs750 ones of the time, nothing special and you need a keen eye to tell the difference, he also built the mcintoshes with imperial measurements, not metric too!! the first show bike had mags on it, what does that tell ya?
    if I can find it I will dig it out , But Ken had a bit of a fetish about the spoked ones at the time, same with the twin shocks.
    I think it was to do with the costs plus I guess he could make his own for basically nothing, also rebuild them if they were damaged
    I think I have posted it before, its a bit humidity damaged though.

The 1983 Aussie dollar retail for the Kit was $3199
    That included frame including mounting bolts swingarm and bearings and chain adjusters fuel tank and cap upholstered seat, footrests and controls, handle bars, yokes, steering head bearings, fairing and screen inc mounts, indicators, front guard, S&W shocks and a tail lamp. The first 5 kits for the Suzukis also included a custom made Megacycle exhaust for free.

The Wheels on Hiscocks were at the time $2000 NZD.
    the spoked wheels Ken sold to punters for $900NZD were the same weight.
    Last edited by husaberg; 24th July 2016 at 22:00. Reason: added extra i still have to find te article
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Well, Husa can't find it from the suggestions i gave him....looking at it I reckon it's not a homemade as it appears to be iron - and you don't make CI discs at home.
    Can too.. Mate had a K100 BMW (had a hard life prior to being purchased as a write off*) anyway the disks were worn way under warrantable thickness, replacements were turned up out of Landrover flywheels and worked really well

* among other things, it had dropped a rod racing in the six hours at manfield.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    if I can find it I will dig it out , But Ken had a bit of a fetish about the spoked ones at the time, same with the twin shocks.
    I think it was to do with the costs plus I guess he could make his own for basically nothing, also rebuild them if they were damaged
    I think I have posted it before, its a bit humidity damaged though.

That included frame including mounting bolts swingarm and bearings and chain adjusters fuel tank and cap upholstered seat, footrests and controls, handle bars, yokes, steering head bearings, fairing and screen inc mounts, indicators, front guard, S&W shocks and a tail lamp. The first 5 kits for the Suzukis also included a custom made Megacycle exhaust for free.

The Wheels on Hiscocks were at the time $2000 NZD.
    the spoked wheels Ken sold to punters for $900NZD were the same weight.
    McIntosh didn't have the resources to make bikes, and as mentioned wheels were an easy option to provide and more work through the shop, easy work too.
    when you brought your kit you could use a katana or gsx to donor wheels, buy Mcintosh ones or of course buy flash wheels. i'm not ante the wires, just prefer the others, still, it's going together with the wires as is as the wheels i brought are five bolt, whereas the ones on it are six and i can't be arsed tracking down other stuff at the moment, would rather get her up and sorted as it is/was. mine is 007 so would have been sold in one of those first five with the megacycle pipe, i picked a genuine McIntosh megacycle in aussie last year, Ken McIntosh has it at the moment as i suggested he might want to offer a period pipe with his latest run of Bathurst Replicas, rather than fit modern carbon fibre/titanium ones.
    if he doesn't i'll grab my pipe back and get on with copying it anyway.

Bike
    husaberg
    McIntosh didn't have the resources to make bikes, and as mentioned wheels were an easy option to provide and more work through the shop, easy work too.
    when you brought your kit you could use a katana or gsx to donor wheels, buy Mcintosh ones or of course buy flash wheels. i'm not ante the wires, just prefer the others, still, it's going together with the wires as is as the wheels i brought are five bolt, whereas the ones on it are six and i can't be arsed tracking down other stuff at the moment, would rather get her up and sorted as it is/was. mine is 007 so would have been sold in one of those first five with the megacycle pipe, i picked a genuine McIntosh megacycle in aussie last year, Ken McIntosh has it at the moment as i suggested he might want to offer a period pipe with his latest run of Bathurst Replicas, rather than fit modern carbon fibre/titanium ones.
    if he doesn't i'll grab my pipe back and get on with copying it anyway.
    It rings a bell yes.....
    Remember you asked how I knew that last year

that included frame including mounting bolts swingarm and bearings and chain adjusters fuel tank and cap upholstered seat, footrests and controls, handle bars, yokes, steering head bearings, fairing and screen inc mounts, indicators, front guard, S&W shocks and a tail lamp. The first 5 kits for the Suzukis also included a custom made Megacycle exhaust for free.

Mick Hone was selling the first demo bike from the kit which included $2500 worth of Yosimura engine bits and 33mm smoothbore carbs, marzocchi forks and Brembo brakes and disks and EPM mags for $9000
    where did that info come from out of curiosity?
    MCM
    I was going to post it but its pretty hard to read (as they were newsprint then) there is also a write up on Ken produced at the same time that would be even harder to read in I think Two Wheels.

If you click on the attachments a few times they will super size. ie about 3 times
    next time I come across the other article I will post it warts and all.
    its not this one but that would be worth finding too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TWO-ANN-85-02.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	323344
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    BMW PDC is 79mm and after looking at alternatives unique to BMW.

Suzuki GXR 750 are close.

Measure the PCD and google that, will narrow down the search.

I prefer spoked wheels over mags on classic bikes, in the 70's they just bunged mags on and hey " We're hip".

Dark ages? Motorcycle are only for developing nations, until you can afford a car. In 20 years they will probably be consigned to the archives.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post

I prefer spoked wheels over mags on classic bikes, in the 70's they just bunged mags on and hey " We're hip".
    there was nothing classic about the McIntosh when it came out, i remember seeing dallas rankines harris with dymags and thought they were the sexiset wheels ever, just a personal repference and as stated the wires were an option if you couldn't afford mags... although too this was the era when the wires were the go on the hot gsx's, there was word that it was to introduce some flex as the frames were getting more rigid as well as the tyres at the time

Thread Information