Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New here (Bassai)

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassai View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.

There are so many opinions on tyres. Back in the day I used to always run Michelins. I was a bike courier for a long time and they never let me down. So many options and opinions today I may just stick with my own past experience put on some Michelin Pilot Road 4 GTs
    Snap

Bike courier in Auckland three years, also ran Michelins. Times, bikes and traffic has changed though since the 80's. Much more being asked of tyres.

I would never have run a tyre with an oriental sounding name, but I have Shinko, which seems okay currently. I also run Bridgestone T30, and Michelin street radial. All seem ok to date.

Just pick one brand and fit them under advice on suitability for the bike/weight/speed/usage. Change at the next pit stop if you are not completely happy. At our age money is not really an object but enjoyment and safety are, aye.....

Bike
    ZZR 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by oldiebutagoody View Post
    Snap

At our age money is not really an object but enjoyment and safety are, aye.....
    I agree with that. Which courier company were you with?

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    I agree with that. Which courier company were you with?
    A little Manurewa based outfit called S-Express

Got swallowed up by either Pace or Roadrunner, cannot remember now.

(motorbike couriers were insane)

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Welcome back to riding.

I would strongly suggest doing a course like this one to refresh your skills and learn new ones.

http://www.riderskills.co.nz/default...ReadyForSummer
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    ZZR 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Welcome back to riding.

I would strongly suggest doing a course like this one to refresh your skills and learn new ones.

http://www.riderskills.co.nz/default...ReadyForSummer
    Advertising is everywhere!!!

Bike
    bandit
    My local bike mechanic says theres nothing wrong with it so...

I am suspecting I dont like the tyres. Conti Motions. When they wear out I will put on some Pilot Roads perhaps.

I dont care about mileage on a tyre or the cost, just want it to stick like shit to a blanket!
    Yeah .. that explains your handling problem ... Motions are shit ... try Road Attacks - I have them on a smaller bike (650) and they are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Yeah. Compared to the older Suzuki's, when the much wider tyres get worn in the centre, they make the bike handle like total shit.
    Yes. I love my PR4s on the big bike, but when they wear the centre they are shit - need replacing even though there's still legal tread .. just won't corner. I rode from Napier to Whakatane on tyres that had done that - scarey ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    ZZR 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by oldiebutagoody View Post
    A little Manurewa based outfit called S-Express

Got swallowed up by either Pace or Roadrunner, cannot remember now.

(motorbike couriers were insane)
    I was with Road Runner. Started in the middle of winter yikes!

In all that time I never came off and didn't have any accidents. I learnt a hell of a lot about riding skills, awareness and human nature busting out those 1,000+ks a week.

All the guys I worked with were very skilled riders and we had a shit load of fun too! Not bad money at the time either.I enjoyed it, learnt a lot and got to know a lot of office secretaries of one which I ended up marrying. 34 years later we are still together.

So now I have a wife and a mistress (my bike).

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Hi

I am new here. Just a word to say hello

I have now owned 14 bikes in total.... BUT...

Until recently I hadnt ridden a bike for yes 30 years. Yep.... 30 long years! So taking that in mind, what did I do? I went and bought a 1993 ZZR 1100. My family thinks I have had a mental melt down and I have to say I was concerned about not having been on a bike for 30 years but I took to it like a duck to water. Felt like it was only yesterday since I last rode.

My last bike was a very worked over 1981 GSX1100 and prior to that a 1978 GS 1000. I am no stranger to a lot of power on 2 wheels but at 59 I find myself a much more conservative rider.

I love my ZZR 1100 but I think the old Suzies handled better and were more comfortable. But the ZZR was such a bargain I couldnt help myself!

I am slowly getting up to date on things like tyres and accessories but there are so many choices these days.

Anyway, hi everyone!

Bassai
    Auckland
    spectacular choice on bike, use ya throttle to corner with and you will find she handles fine, ya may have to tune the bouncy bits but they definitely do handle, i used to be bridgestone all the way but got caught short last tyre change and ended up with pilot road 4's and all i can say about them is they are awesome so far. normally will get around 10000km out of a rear tyre so will see with these

Bike
    ZZR 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    spectacular choice on bike, use ya throttle to corner with and you will find she handles fine, ya may have to tune the bouncy bits but they definitely do handle, i used to be bridgestone all the way but got caught short last tyre change and ended up with pilot road 4's and all i can say about them is they are awesome so far. normally will get around 10000km out of a rear tyre so will see with these
    I am trying to buy some Michelin Pilot 4 GTs but have to wait two more weeks for stock to come in. I really hate these Conti Motions.

Stickiness is more important than k's to me.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    I am trying to buy some Michelin Pilot 4 GTs but have to wait two more weeks for stock to come in. I really hate these Conti Motions.

Stickiness is more important than k's to me.
    a mate is running the GT's on his XJ1200 but there weren't any about when i did my tyres and they were kinda overdue so couldn't wait, but i am happy so far

Bike
    ZZR 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    a mate is running the GT's on his XJ1200 but there weren't any about when i did my tyres and they were kinda overdue so couldn't wait, but i am happy so far
    Everything I have read about the GTs sounds really good. It seems they are in hot demand thus the lack of availability. As long as I have them on by summer I am happy.

I considered buying an XJR1300. Nice bikes.

Thread Information