Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tank and tail bags

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by baffa View Post
    Thanks for the awesome suggestions all, apart from nzspokes =)

I've ordered a tailbag from motomail, I might do a quick review when I get my hands on it.
    My answer is the most practical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    If you have a tank bag you need one of these..http://motomail.co.nz/estore/style/gitbbf07.aspx
    Just be aware that tank lock bags can still sag down onto the tank if the bag is big enough to flex (ie, not the 5L ones that sit right on top). I've got the 308 or something, and the back can sag down onto the tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    CB1300
    Soft luggage versatile.
    Hard luggage more practical if it is sized right.

Pack rack I had several bags to choose from. Top box I have to limit my load to what fits.

I only scratched my tank once in 120,000 kms across 2 bikes. Once was still fucking annoying.
    Nail some how found is way onto the magnet. A very small nail that left a very small scratch that I had look at daily.
    Mostly frustrating because I normally run my hand underneath to clear the magnets before putting it on and peel it off when done. But that day I was running late for a funeral threw or on and dragged out off.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Soft luggage versatile.

Pack rack I had several bags to choose from. Top box I have to limit my load to what fits.

I only scratched my tank once in 120,000 kms across 2 bikes. Once was still fucking annoying.
    Nail some how found is way onto the magnet. A very small nail that left a very small scratch that I had look at daily.
    Mostly frustrating because I normally run my hand underneath to clear the magnets before putting it on and peel it off when done. But that day I was running late for a funeral threw or on and dragged out off.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    Have had the same happen with mine, tiny little screw that did a a z shaped scatch. What was really annoying was the bike in question had a plastic tank so I'd been using the D ring straps to fasten it anyway, just hadn't bothered removing the magnets.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Soft luggage versatile.
    OK, so the OP has made a decision and a purchase. Having read this thread I noticed something, and it's not just KB where this occurs.

The above quote is an example of an open minded and informed opinion reflecting relevant experience. Sadly this isn't always the case, some pillock pops up saying his solution is best and implying everybody else is an idiot or whatever.

Having had some experience I will add the following in case anyone is interested. Or not.

At first I had a tank bag and a pack rack. The retailer advised me not to buy the Ventura pack so I bought a bigger one of another brand. As stated earlier a gravel chip got between the tank bag and the tank and did damage. The damage was skilfully polished out but the tank bag still marked the tank so I stopped using it.
    The pack was large, and lugging it into a flash hotel made me feel a bit self conscious and I lusted after hard cases which seemed more classy.

When the VFR came I fitted hard cases with the inner bags so that all I had to carry into the Chateau Tongariro or similar was the inner bags. A more elegant solution. The disadvantage of this system became apparent one rainy morning when I was travelling down SH1 between Porirua and the ferry terminal. The traffic was moving at about 25kph and I couldn't filter because of the width of the cases. When I got to the ferry I was greeted by name, I was the last passenger - and was just in time.

There wasn't a Givi hard luggage option for the Ducati so I went for the soft luggage, and because I already had the bags I used them on the Triumph too, just bought a new mounting rack. If you fill the bags completely, fully expanded, as for a tour of the South Island, they droop and look fucking stupid. On shorter trips they look fine. They can be fitted to the bike in a minute or so. Take the seat off, throw the bags over, put the seat back. Job done.

I will not use a top box, I just don't like the look of them. They are obviously convenient though. I would consider a small Kriega bag because my current arrangement is all or nothing. Without the bags fitted there is no storage. It'd be handy to have somewhere to put a hat and sunglasses, or whatever. The tank bag currently isn't an option because there is a radar detector mount on the petrol cap fitting to allay any temptation to use the bag.

If I buy another bike? Your guess is as good as mine, it'll depend on the bike and the intended use but I may just about have come full circle and prefer a pack rack..

/RANT
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    It'd be handy to have somewhere to put a hat and sunglasses, or whatever. The tank bag currently isn't an option because there is a radar detector mount on the petrol cap fitting to allay any temptation to use the bag.
    Something like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1575.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	573.2 KB 
ID:	323388

Can be made to fit most machines fairly easily.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Without the bags fitted there is no storage. It'd be handy to have somewhere to put a hat and sunglasses, or whatever. The tank bag currently isn't an option because there is a radar detector mount on the petrol cap fitting to allay any temptation to use the bag.

/RANT
    Yet to work out where to mount it but I bought one of these for just that purpose. http://www.trademe.co.nz/1132667736
    Just need to work out where to mount it.
    2 actually. One to wire up with a phone charger to keep my phone in on longer trips when wired charging will be required to use GPS because I don't like having my phone on the bars and don't want to drill holes in my top box.
    The other was an accident but I will probably mount it on one of the other bike's.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by baffa View Post
    Thanks for the awesome suggestions all, apart from nzspokes =)

I've ordered a tailbag from motomail, I might do a quick review when I get my hands on it.
    Good stuff, we all have our own approach. Look forward to your review

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Couple of interesting suggestions there.

Big Dog's item reminds me of a system Two Brothers Racing were selling for the Hornet called "The Stash" or similar. It had the two high level mufflers but only one was connected to the pipe. The other one, which appeared identical, was a storage container for ummm whatever.

I just checked the Two Muthas site and the search window doesn't recognise the word "stash".
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    I have a cheapo Oxford ( has ford in it's word....) tankbag with no straps as were gone when bought secondhand and now the magnets are near gone (as well the zip, time to toss it). Had a few times riding along in wind where it let go and i've caught it between my arms (maybe didn't have enough piss in it). As I have raised bars on my old bike (mini ape hangers if ya loike) my arms were in a good spot to catch it, but then is a bit awkward to then slow down and ride in that position until stopped to re-attach it. With low bars it would have been gone, so now don't use it.
    My other steed I prefer the Givi monokey top box. Had a cheapo top box from TOPmark, it was crappy and not long after the plastic retainers failed on a ride and I lost all my cold and wet gear and a few tools with the box to roadside never neverland. Said company refused to repay at a minimum a refund for faulty gear (let alone my gear) and then went on to blacklist me from buying from them, hence my rant and rave here and they can go FT. But yeah my fault for buying cheap stuff, their product is only good for round town scooters like the Givi monolock ones, and I shouldn't have used it for open road use. Caveat Emptor, buy the good stuff from people who stand by their sales.

Stuff that comes off the back you hardly realise until you get to the destination, i'd be strapping anything behind your arse such as a tailbag, really good.

Safety ... in the good ol days the max bungeed on bago'rally gear that slipped over and down and near into the rear spokes was saved (with my arse) from good chaps who I ride with who pointed that wee defect out.

So bungee cords, over them. Have since seen a few unfortunate people with nasty eye hits by them. I now use short length Aerofast camlock ties for securing gear across the rear seat,they have yet to fail me.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Easy, have a look at Ventura. Done the same with my Busa, pack rack bag is about 30 litres.

http://www.ventura-bike.com/product/Suzuki/GSX-R-600
    I have a Ventura pack rack and a sports carrier (interchangeable fitting on both bikes) .. and a Ventura Bag and this sports bag - swap around as I need them.

http://www.ventura-bike.com/Sport-Pack-III
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Having just bought a new bike and having to go through the pain (in terms of $$) of again getting hard luggage to fit, I can see the advantage of soft luggage from that angle alone. Buy good stuff, buy it once.
    As I see it, soft luggage has two main disadvantages though, weatherproofing and security, or lack thereof. The way me and the BH use our toys, we need to be able to lock stuff away and know there is a reasonable chance it will be there when we get back. Soft luggage reduces that chance significantly. With a hard case you have some tough ABS (or aluminium) and a lock to fend off all but the determined thief, who if we are honest, will always get what they want anyway. Don't know about the rest of you but the idea of having to pull over to put a rain cover on my gear does not attract. Yes there are some soft luggage options that are waterproof but the vast majority come with separate rain covers. I have a seat bag I hang on to. It has a well patched rain cover and it hasn't had that much use. Wouldn't want to count on it in a downpour.

Hope the OP is pleased with their purchase. Its another satisfying facet of bike ownership, getting the choice of how to carry shit just right.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    . Yes there are some soft luggage options that are waterproof but the vast majority come with separate rain covers. .
    I put a black plastic rubbish bag inside my Ventura bag ... great option ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    I have a Ventura pack rack and a sports carrier (interchangeable fitting on both bikes) .. and a Ventura Bag and this sports bag - swap around as I need them.

http://www.ventura-bike.com/Sport-Pack-III
    Must admit, I got the Sport Pack from Ventura as well when I got my current bike, only use this small bag on short day runs though.

Has anyone got the Ventura top box that can be fitted onto the same L-brackets as yet?

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Must admit, I got the Sport Pack from Ventura as well when I got my current bike, only use this small bag on short day runs though.

Has anyone got the Ventura top box that can be fitted onto the same L-brackets as yet?
    Yes, I got a ventura top box adapter kit from techmoto.co.nz. Slots into the ventura pack rack uprights.
    In theory I can swap between top box and soft luggage if I need to with just the two round bolts.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Thread Information