Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sports bike buying advice?

Bike
    CB1300
    Yep. The CB1300, GSX1400, the Yamaha and Kawasaki equivalent would be my shortlist for an only bike.
    Dozens of others on the wish list but if I can only have 1...

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    GSXR 750 K7
    Thanks folks this was the kind of info i was looking for
    The only other question i had was what are peoples opionions of GSXR750's as im still on the fence if i need a 1000 and im not the biggest fan of 600's so 750 seems like a fair compromise?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Some will argue that the GSXR750 is the best bike for NZ roads.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Theaos View Post
    The only other question i had was what are peoples opionions of GSXR750's as im still on the fence if i need a 1000 and im not the biggest fan of 600's so 750 seems like a fair compromise?
    Ultimate bang for buck i reckon,if i was in line for a new/nearly new sportbike i would have one in a heartbeat.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Theaos View Post
    I traded an SV1000 for a 2016 GSXR750 a few months back. I am sure the GSXR1000 would be massive fun nailed through the first three or four gears but be honest with yourself, when and where can you actually do that? The 750 has turned me in to the hooligan I was twenty years ago. Awseome engine noise and so sweet handling. Not a huge fan of banging through the gears like a 250 and in that respect I do miss the SV but fuck me it makes me smile and reminds me why I still ride these death traps.

I got the 750 because it first came out about the time I started riding and I always wanted one and then the Suzuki Springfest deal swung it for me. To be honest the 1000 was never an option for me because the 750 was the bike from my youth. I don't regret not considering the bigger one.

If I am really really honest I would say even the 750 is too much for the roads here (well not the roads, but the rules that go with them) but by fuck it is fun. Just get the bike you like the most and ride it.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Ultimate bang for buck i reckon,if i was in line for a new/nearly new sportbike i would have one in a heartbeat.
    Concur, it's the only proper sprot bike I pay any attention to. I would struggle to use the 750's performance, never mind a thou.

I remember a group test in a UK bike mag a few years ago, the latest thou's were under the spot light, a GSXR 750 was in the mix so a journo could have a holiday in Scotland. The 750 was unanimously praised and Jamie Whitam, one of the testers, stated that the 750 was the best sprot bike for the road. I reckon for usability and accessibility it probably still is.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Concur, it's the only proper sprot bike I pay any attention to. I would struggle to use the 750's performance, never mind a thou.

I remember a group test in a UK bike mag a few years ago, the latest thou's were under the spot light, a GSXR 750 was in the mix so a journo could have a holiday in Scotland. The 750 was unanimously praised and Jamie Whitam, one of the testers, stated that the 750 was the best sprot bike for the road. I reckon for usability and accessibility it probably still is.
    Agreed mate,to be fair i reckon on roads there meant for even a 600 would have more ability than most riders,never ridden a GSXR 600 but can imagine there a rapid piece of kit,no good packed up with mrs on back etc so no good to me,my old TLS does everything i need,bad things would happen if i bought anything new
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Agreed mate,to be fair i reckon on roads there meant for even a 600 would have more ability than most riders,never ridden a GSXR 600 but can imagine there a rapid piece of kit,no good packed up with mrs on back etc so no good to me,my old TLS does everything i need,bad things would happen if i bought anything new
    LOL. I'm thinking of the missus's first big bike.... She would believe anything I told her. "No dear, it just looks fast..".

I've ridden 600's and found them very rapid and focused but I converted to twins many years ago and noticed that unless the 6hundy is ridden in the manner intended they are an obstacle coming out of corners. You got to rev them. I guess the 750 has enough torque and revs to make it a less focused, easier ride.

Sorry OP, but I've fancied a GSXR with proper handle bars for quite a few years now. An exceedingly useful bike.

As you were.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    The K5 / K6 Gixxer thou generally received the best reviews for litre sportsbikes of that era. But that's from a performance viewpoint, and there are other things to consider for road use, like build quality and comfort. Definitely consider the Blade, and the 5vy R1 (04-06) is also a good bike and possibly the most comfortable.

Remember that any of the Jap litre bikes will have far more performance than you can use on the road. My 99 R1 has "only" about 130 HP and that's enough for me!

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Thread Information