Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports bike buying advice?

Bike
    GSXR 750 K7

Sports bike buying advice?

Hey All
    So i am looking at getting back on a 1000cc sports bike after a riding hiatus, Im fairly open to brands but would probably like to stick to Jap bikes as they are what i know (Fireblade R1 GSXR ect.).
    My main requirements are id prefer 2004 or newer and am happy to spend around $7500 +- depending on the bike. Iv been out of the loop for a while and don't know which years of which bikes to aim for and which to avoid. Also at what point is a sports bike considered High KMs?

Bike
    Its a Boat

Bike
    GSXR 750 K7
    Yeah iv had a look at that link and its a nice bike but may be a little bit more than i was hoping for. I havent written it off just yet but want a bit more info on options

Bike
    S1000RR
    I don't know. It's kinda like granny going into a dealership and asking what's a good car. Toyota Corolla, Mazda 2/3, Honda Jazz... bottom line is they are all good. Nothing is particularly "bad" among Japanese superbikes (R1, CBR1000, ZX10R, GSX-R1000). Esp 2004 to 2011 was like Jap rivalry golden era.

2004/5 Kawasaki ZX10R tends to have a bit of crazy reputation tho (brutal). From 2006 it went docile a bit (tad smoother).

Some say 2007/08 Yamaha R1 was the pinnacle, or last of the true R1 before they went crossplane. Last of the highly refined original inline-4 litre engine.

GSX-R1000, don't think they made any big change to the blueprint since 2005 (K5).

CBR I don't know. Bulletproof engine and reliability? I always thought them as flat white coffee without sugar. Nothing fancy, just basic and simple. But it's still a proper superbike.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    GSXR 750 K7
    Yeah i know its kind of a vague question but its more bits like that im looking for
    I remember the kwaks had a couple of more brutal years and the fireblades had an average year too its just that kind of stuff i cant remember anymore

Bike
    A
    Lots of variables to look at, my main thing to look for is whether a bike has been in a crash or if it's been used as a track day weapon. Non standard paint sometimes points to such things.

At what k's is a sporty a high km example? Far out, depends entirely on how it's been looked after. I'd sooner have the 50,000 km 5 yr old well looked after one over a 3 yr old 10,000 km sample by an uncaring owner.

Without knowing what you had last, or how long ago you gave up riding temporarily, the 2005 GSX-R1000 was a nice unit for the road.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Biggest priority is what suits you or you enjoy / puts a smile on your face.

You've left quite a few options available, but realistically, you're not getting the new ones for your price point. Newer will be more expensive, come with more rider aids (traction control, abs etc) while the older ones won't. Every model within a brand will vary, eg, the 04-05 ZX10R was quite different to the 06-07 one, then changed again for the 08 and so on. New blade came out circa 08? Maybe 07, since then looks the same but might have had a few tweaks etc.

Start by ruling out the models too new for your budget (or, you might be able to buy a model newer, but with more km on it, is that satisfactory etc). As casper says, a cared for bike with more km on it is likely a better buy than minimal km but abused/neglected.

I've owned an 04 ZX10R. If you don't like an edgy wild bike, it's not for you. It was Kawasaki's first litre bike, and typical japanese they put a powerful motor in, agressive handling and as a package was pretty wild. The 06-07 was faster down a piece of road, you sat more in the bike than on, but for me at least, didn't give you as much of a grin.

The Suzuki K5-K6 has a very popular motor, a lot of torque so remains a popular pick over the newer versions. With summerfest etc, Suzuki values don't stay high, so often present good value for money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    None any more
    Performance? Fuck it. Buy the prettiest one.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    MT-10
    All the jap i4's will be very similar in performance and feel except for the newer r1 cross plane. For a returning rider I'd get the comfiest which is the blade.

Bike
    ZZR 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Theaos View Post
    Hey All
    So i am looking at getting back on a 1000cc sports bike after a riding hiatus, Im fairly open to brands but would probably like to stick to Jap bikes as they are what i know (Fireblade R1 GSXR ect.).
    My main requirements are id prefer 2004 or newer and am happy to spend around $7500 +- depending on the bike. Iv been out of the loop for a while and don't know which years of which bikes to aim for and which to avoid. Also at what point is a sports bike considered High KMs?
    Having had a lot of bikes over the last 40 years... what is right and what is best is a very subjective thing.

I recently went through this decision process myself. I had almost unlimited options financially so that wasnt an issue.

I have always loved big powerful bikes so initially I seriously considered buying a new ZX14 or a Busa. Then I started to think.

My last bike I had before this one was a seriously modified Suzie GSX1100. It was fast and incredibly reliable. So I wrote down a list of requirements and here they are:

Big
    Heavy
    Fast
    1000+ CCs
    4 cylinders
    Japanese
    Sports or Sports Tourer
    Handles reasonably well but not the highest priority
    Proven reliable
    Comfortable

Then I started to think back. I always enjoyed riding my old GSX1100 so something more modern would be good. Based on the above and considering my goals, I realised I didn't have to spend $20,000 +

I decided then that I would prefer to buy an older bike, and do it up the way I wanted it.

So I saw a 1993 ZZR 1100 D series at auction and won the bid. I am currently spending a few grand on it, new fairing kit, tyres, full service, brakes, fancy levers and foot pegs etc etc. The bike already has Yoshimura parts, bigger carbs and my mechanic tells me its probably producing 180-190 rwh. It will be unique to me when I am finished.

This bike is fast, handles well, very reliable and gives me a great deal of enjoyment riding it. By time I am finished spending money on it, it will look like a new bike.

Sure it wont go around corners or brake like modern bikes but I aint racing at mad levels of speed like I did when I was younger. But on the straights, if I had to stimulate my ego, it will keep up with the best of them.

Therefore I will have achieved my goals, have a great looking and reliable bike for around $5,500 all up.

My misses gave me the nod to spend arouns $25k on a bike. Now I have to convince her to allow me to spend the other $19.5k on something else LOL

Wish me luck.

My advice is... buy a bike for what you want and what inspires you and not for what other people think. Its your money, and your life, fuck everyone else!!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I will be going for a Gixxer 1k as a track bike soon. For the simple reason they seem to be the most common and have the most spares kicking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...just get the Beemer thou..then you wouldn't have to ask any more silly questions...

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Call me cynical

But most people who ask for "advice" end up buying what they wanted regardless.

My advice is not to limit your choices to 1000cc sport bikes, a late model 600-800cc bike will have comparable performance to an early 2000s 800-1000cc and will more likely have ABS as well.

Bike
    CB1300
    It's hard to regret a bike that makes you hard every time you head out. It is easy to regret the bike you talked yourself into or out of.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    It is easy to regret the bike you talked yourself into or out of.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    Did that...the 'out of' part anyway, but have recently remedied that situation. Of all the bikes I have owned in the past 12 years (seven) trading the CB was the that one regret. I get to have a decent ride on the GSX tomorrow but the short runs I have done on it this week while working in TGA confirms it is going to be a fun bike. The Pro Taper bars feel great.

Thread Information