Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzuki Katana 1100sz

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I was aware that they function as an accelerator "pump" (slowing the slide lift so vacuum would raw more fuel up the jet) but wondering if it would dampen small slide movements.
    (Envisioning quad 1.5" Stromberg CDs on the Kat? Nasty, god knows the single one on Hillman Hunters and Avengers was hard enough to get tuned (the later ones without the adjustable jet underneath)
    Now there is a do up for the Katana. 4 Hilman hunter carbies. I think they where the same on my old 2000cc Triumph car (POS that is was).
    Stromberg even the name still gives me shivers (owned a few of Mini's also).

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarko View Post
    Mother of god....

Screw it i'm going to build it.
    Now that would be something. It is kind of nasty in the front but I would learn to live with it.

Bike
    Webike in Japan has an amazing range of new parts for the Kat some of which are stunning

Full tree.
    http://japan.webike.net/products/21446852.html

Carbon bits
    http://japan.webike.net/products/1484085.html

Tank
    http://japan.webike.net/products/21788532.html

Seat (I like the seat pity they don't one with the right colours)
    http://japan.webike.net/products/1227698.html

Full retard wheels and breaks
    http://japan.webike.net/products/21981600.html

So lots of parts are pretty insane prices but it is really sweet to see they still exist for sale. Sure they are do up parts so not for the purist but the list of them is so impressive. A man can dream...

Bike
    OMG there is a real live GSXR750 1992 on trademe here http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/list...?id=1145391226 I should just buy this bike right now given this guy uses those front ends https://katmankatana.wordpress.com/tag/forks/

Auction only has two days left. It is in Auckland which means $400 to get it here. Then I have to break a perfectly good GSXR750 begging to be a track bike (I would love this as a track bike). Mmmm what to do that is a lot of coin when I just want the front end and wheels and don't really want to store and sell the rest. Shit.

So the sensible thing to do really is this. Buy it RIGHT NOW then turn it into a track bike for now.

Therefore I stop risking my Blade and properly learn to get a knee down on something I can throw if I stuff it up and not cry myself to sleep for ages while taking the --shudder-- train to work. I can track it over this summer, gather my other parts (I have the swing arm this will give me tires and front end) then over winter I can pull it down. Mean time I can just ride the Kat at times as it is.

Ohhh shit my wife even just said ok.

Shit it is in bloody Kerikeri Northland. I'll see if biketranz can actually pick it up. Auction ends in a few days. Ahh and it has sat around for four years so probably the fork seals are shot and the carbs are full of snot costing more than makes sense to use it on the track (I'm just a group 4 fun time type I don't race or know what I am doing).

Really I should just do it. But I will wait till tomorrow, talk to biketranz (if they talk on sundays) talk to some friends about a 4 year sitting bikes ability to go track without a lot of costs before breaking it. Dam.. probably no one looking at this thread anymore.

I suppose I have to sort the forks out either way. But carbies? 4 years? They say it runs. Anyone want to buy the motor and frame etc? I want the breaks, front end and wheels and probably nothing else. Man they just never come up and just today I also emailed all the bike wreckers so probably they will all reply on Monday with parts if I buy this thing. Best I have a few beers and get click happy.

Bike
    motocompo
    Yes, buy it now, but keep it together & ride it for at least three months before you pull it apart. By that time another set of forks will turn up for the katana & you will have the gsxr, plus the forks & that will be a great result.
    Or you could do my trick & buy your wife a classic bike as a wedding anniversary present most years & ride it on her behalf. That way you never have to worry what to get for a present, & as long as you are married there is at least one excuse per year to buy another bike.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Yes, buy it now, but keep it together & ride it for at least three months before you pull it apart. By that time another set of forks will turn up for the katana & you will have the gsxr, plus the forks & that will be a great result.
    Or you could do my trick & buy your wife a classic bike as a wedding anniversary present most years & ride it on her behalf. That way you never have to worry what to get for a present, & as long as you are married there is at least one excuse per year to buy another bike.
    Great advice. I brought it and will take that advice and ride it this season if it does the job and I don't kill it trying to extend my range now I can without killing my daily. Then I went further.. much further and hopefully (fingers crossed) next week I will have a real announcement that (I think) will cause some interest and a few tears (or at least interesting comments).

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I learned on SU Carburettors, apparently it means Seldom Understood .
    It stands for Skinner Union.
    Originally was SSU = Skinner Sausage Union. Apparently they started out making sausage making equipment.
    True story, I saw it on Wheeler dealers.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    It stands for Skinner Union.
    Originally was SSU = Skinner Sausage Union. Apparently they started out making sausage making equipment.
    True story, I saw it on Wheeler dealers.
    Yeah, I did actually know that, but seldom understood fits the bill better.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    next week I will have a real announcement that (I think) will cause some interest and a few tears (or at least interesting comments).
    fuck, this is better than shortland street for nail biting excitement

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    Great advice. I brought it and will take that advice and ride it this season if it does the job and I don't kill it trying to extend my range now I can without killing my daily. Then I went further.. much further and hopefully (fingers crossed) next week I will have a real announcement that (I think) will cause some interest and a few tears (or at least interesting comments).
    Sex change???
    http://time.com/time-person-of-the-y...aitlyn-jenner/

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    fuck, this is better than shortland street for nail biting excitement
    Hehe yeah I know that is lame [-edit- of me -edit-] but I'm VERY bloody excited. Enough to be lame even. Trust me anyone interested in the content of this thread will have something to say when.... when... oh shit my evil twin just developed insomnia before waking up from a comma that he dreamed.

Though it could be considered a sex change to a real man given what one of me friends keeps inferring because I ride a Honda (I've seen some of his taste in bikes so I am not insulted).

Lets just say opinions will be divided but I'll be one happy chappy but given the deal is not done you will just have to wait for the next EXCITING EPISODE of a man who's gone to the Kats!!

Bike

The New Kat

Here is the mystery bike. Just so happened the man selling the GSXR I brought had this and was willing to part with it. Currently it is in primer and steal and needs a paint. It rides well and having ridden it back to back with my Fireblade I now see why people criticise the blade as having no personality. I'll add more on this bike as I get going but it is a dream come true for me!

There is an online document of the build if anyone is interested. The back looks better in the flesh than in these images.

I hired a van from Wellington and drove it to Kerkeri and back to get this. Arrived at the cold Kiwi about 1:30am Saturday morning (wandered about for a while around 8:30am in a bright red bennie). I noted a bike arrive at 1:30am (guy in open face helmet and goggles) and another bike arrived around 2:30am!

I'll get some new pics up of the Kat and perhaps start a thread on it but it will take time to get it all sorted. It might make the first Mainfield track day!

Good times!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kat3.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	324258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kat2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	324257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kat1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	324256  

Bike
    CB1300
    Tidy. Congrats.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Tidy. Congrats.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    Thanks is that an XX Blackbird in your tag? Always wanted to try one out. Read some great reviews and they look fantastic. There was one regularly in Welly I use to go out of my way to walk past.

Bike
    motocompo
    That's very sweet. Do you suppose you could find an original tailpiece & seat for it?

Thread Information