Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Staying warm

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Leather is colder than textile but with an over jacket/vest sweet as. Perfect during the warmer months, in fact a leather jacket Yes a vest is warm/rain proof. I wore one for a number of years, it got extremely wet at times but I stayed dry, zero wind chill is a bonus.
    When I had my leathers made I got a removable waterproof vest with double sided fleece made for the jacket. Works well.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheepLogic View Post
    When I had my leathers made I got a removable waterproof vest with double sided fleece made for the jacket. Works well.
    Now that's forward thinking

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Don't be buying cheap ass gear and pissing around with plastic bags or whatever.

Start with merino base layer. Seriously this shit is worth paying $$$ for, its not some hipster greenie eco tech, just good old fashioned stuff that works. As a plus you can wear it under textiles in summer to help them breath and not get hot either.
    Decent gloves, boots and wool socks. Tourmaster Synergy heated (proper thick leather with feel still so don't often need to be plugged in.) Gaerne Adventure boots, waterproof.
    RST Adventure II textile jacket and pants, tested on the road several times now in massive downpours, 100% waterproof except when you forget to zip the jacket to pants!!!! (excellent NZ warranty service on previous paragon RST gear too)
    With all the liners installed I usually just wear my merino and t shirt underneath. If its REAL damn cold eg about zero ish I'll put one or two old freezing works wool shirts on singlets over top of t shirt too and toasty as.

Done the helmet balaclava thing before and pritch is right, its puts you out a size on your helmet even with good thin one (Oxford). In future of I buiy one of those again I might get a second winter only helmet with it.
    I've found that by the time my head is getting cold I'm needing tos top for coffee or gas anyway.
    I like that jacket and my Revit one is falling apart. But think I can find a shop with them in stock....
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    I use Torso a pre polyprop freezing works singlet (made for peeps working in freezers) Dualfold which has 70% wool under winter clothes (T shirt and a polar fleece top).

Gloves inner merino gloves

Helmet nothin, I like the fresh air, smell of cow shit and KFC (both similar things I would not eat), it keeps me awake.

Boots if really cold a pair of thin airline socks under normal wear work socks

Draggin ( kevlar) jeans with the inserts out under the bike pants but can get quite hot with these on.

No heated bike bits but use cheap plastic over lever guards to keep the wind off my fingers which Is only place I feel the cold.

Often I will put my wet gear on in dry riding as it lowers the wind chill considerably.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    On the weekend I got a merino long sleeve top from Ice Breaker in Otaki. I wore it most of the weekend and it was bloody warm (no biking involved). If I started to do something I was quickly in just that with the sleeves rolled up and still warm. In the end I sweated in it so in the wash never got to try it on the bike. I've hopes though i can loose a few layers with that on and it will not cook me (everyone else seems fine).

So I will give it a go. It was listed as $62 but at the till it was $50? There where tee shirts but at $60 for a tee shirt and $62 (so I thought) for the long sleeve I could not bring myself to buy one.

For that really really cold day commute though. I am still going to use the hottie it was just so good on that test frosty ride. It is getting notably warmer now mind. There are buds on the trees and calves wandering paddocks. The seasons is switching and so I am loosing layers now anyway.

Maybe I need a cold day bike with fairings and a seat warmer. I am sure the wife will be fine with that.

Bike
    CB1300
    There is normally a cold snap last week of August and or first week of September but yes, spring is nearly here.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Why is there in my head a mental picture of someone walking into a bar and asking " fill this please" while handing over a hottie

Fleece tops...fine for stealing off lines is cheaper than buying them ...apparently
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I like that jacket and my Revit one is falling apart. But think I can find a shop with them in stock....
    Got mine through Erikkson Honda in bay View, Napier.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    Why is there in my head a mental picture of someone walking into a bar and asking " fill this please" while handing over a hottie

Fleece tops...fine for stealing off lines is cheaper than buying them ...apparently
    The funniest thing I seen out fly camping on a SAR exercise many moons ago was an empty hot water bottle laying next to a guys sleeping bag, I remarked that he was pharking keen filling that up, as the nearest water source was a good climb down and then back up from the ridge we were camped on.

He laughed and replied I hate climbing out of my bag in the middle of the night, stubbing cold toes and trying to have a pee whilst shivering crazily, it starts to get cold early morning so it fulfils two purposes .

Sorry, better get back on topic.

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    The funniest thing I seen out fly camping on a SAR exercise many moons ago was an empty hot water bottle laying next to a guys sleeping bag, I remarked that he was pharking keen filling that up, as the nearest water source was a good climb down and then back up from the ridge we were camped on.

He laughed and replied I hate climbing out of my bag in the middle of the night, stubbing cold toes and trying to have a pee whilst shivering crazily, it starts to get cold early morning so it fulfils two purposes .

Sorry, better get back on topic.
    I think that is relevant enough. Half way home I often feel like a leak and I am generally only cold on the last part of the trip...

Thread Information