Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Fireblade - do I have water in the tank?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Meths in the tank might work for a tiny amount of water (maybe up to a teaspoons worth) but if you've got a significant amount in there you're wasting your time with meths.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I had to replace the pump and remove a lot of rust from a mate's blade tank. That's why I'm betting the fish.
    Fair call. Bit shit on a late model ride though. Mind modern tanks often have low points that the fuel pump does not collect from so water could naturally settle there.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I had to replace the pump and remove a lot of rust from a mate's blade tank. That's why I'm betting the fish.
    Fair call. Bit shit on a late model ride though. Mind modern tanks often have low points that the fuel pump does not collect from so water could naturally settle there.

I owned a Kawasaki for 23 years - I always popped a half cup of meths in the tank on the first of each month - no rust. Ditto with the Honda I had for 8 years. Ducati has a plastic tank, no chance of rust ....

Bike
    bike sold :-(
    as per earlier reply check the charge voltage, all the symptoms you have described can be caused by under or over voltage and 53000 km is about right for the reg rec to give up. Also the fact that the headlight has blown i would be checking this first to rule it out as a high charge voltage usually takes the headlight bulb out first. There is limited overvoltage protection for the ecu in this model so it would pay to check.

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Iso propyl alcohol will get rid of any amount of water.
    May not run too well if there's major amounts of water in there but an amount of this alcohol equal to or more than the amount of water present will make it completely miscible with petrol.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    Yo momma
    I'm gonna bet a chocolate fish that it's rust in the tank.

Empty the tank completely by taking off the fuel pump. Put it back on then fill it with white vinegar. Leave that for a day or two. Drain that the same as the fuel. Mix some baking soda and water, wash the vinegar out with that. Drain , let it dry, and you're off.
    Did your Gran Pappy teach you that one?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Did your Gran Pappy teach you that one?
    Had to Google it for a mate's race bike actually. The other trick to remove crap, rather than gravel, use ice. Then let it melt and tip out the water with the crap. Genius!

Bike
    KTM
    Throttle Position Sensor not fucked?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by spanner spinner View Post
    as per earlier reply check the charge voltage, all the symptoms you have described can be caused by under or over voltage and 53000 km is about right for the reg rec to give up. Also the fact that the headlight has blown i would be checking this first to rule it out as a high charge voltage usually takes the headlight bulb out first. There is limited overvoltage protection for the ecu in this model so it would pay to check.
    Yerp, its got the symptoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarko View Post
    No need to drain just throw one capful of meths in the tank and the water will mix through with the fuel.

Whats the service history like, coming off lean and getting on the power being such a new bike you've really put some k's on her well done... but shes definately needing some new plugs by now if you havnt lately.
    Thanks

First new bike I have taken it to Cityhonda every 10,000kms and they have serviced it. I do about 750kms a week between Kapiti and Wellington plus its done about 7 open days (three in Taupo) been on various rides about but not many most of the ownership has been through Winter. Got a great deal on it from Cyclespot at the time well under typical new price. First few rides I was laughing uncontrollably from the talk just doing a minor crank from 100. It is great to commute on once the back adjusts.

So plugs got done with at least one service. Probably start doing them myself now its over 50ks

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarko View Post
    Is 53,000km accurate or a typo, you also said barely run in?

In regards to filling in rain that typically isnt how the tanks get water in them, quite often it comes in with the fuel from the gas stations tanks.

Seems very strange for such a new bike... with the headlight going out and the accelerating after holding speed it makes me think it could be as simple as a loose battery connection causing spikes in the system... worth checking.
    Good point I will check. 53,000 is not typo and 'just run in' is more a Honda goes for ever comment. I've not noticed the issue in the ride in and back today so perhaps it also cleared? I'll check the leads. Brought a new bulb to put in, forgot to bring it home, will put it in tomorrow.

I average 40,000kms per year getting to work. I've not once regretted the commute or thought I'd rather live in town. Even in the smashing rain. I'm looking forward to the run before I leave both sides (ok a lot more if it is dry and warm).

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    To be fair its sounding like a rectifier fault. Being a Honda and all.....
    Would that stop happening at times? If it is something loose I can see it would do that. It gets two one hour rides five days a week. It kind of got worse for a bit, then it was badish for a day (especially when it got on an actual angle for a change) and not it seems fine (been riding on high beam until I fit new light).

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    I don't think it's water in the tank. Fuel floats on top of water. You would have gone through the water by now, the water level wouldn't have kept increasing (you mention the bike is getting worse). Also, at a lean, the water would swoosh further away, so it should be better coming out of a corner. You can check the battery connection, but IMO if it were loose, you would have a hard time starting the bike every once in a while (it would feel like if you're trying to start it with the ignition off) ..... so I don't think it's that either.

Is the front headlight in any way related to something in the ignition? I.e. -> do they share a relay or something along those lines? It could be unrelated. Take a look at the wiring diagram and think about it for a bit.

How is your air filter? How are your spark plugs looking? Is the bike running a touch rich? Too much fuel, not enough air? Have you done a valve clearance check recently?

Not sure about the rectifier - maybe, I don't have much experience with them.

I hope you get it sorted.
    Thanks I will look through the electrics but it does seem to have cleared (at least today). I played with a black busa today on the way in and didn't notice any issues at all clicking along. Honda service it each time so it has got whatever the service history is so it got plugs at one point. I've been told by the shop and others valve clearance when checked don't move and are not worth doing but I'd be interested in an opinion or two there for a CBR1000RR with very regular riding.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    you want a hand with it pm me i live in palmerston north too am just expericed ametuer good to know have another local on here

need hand with any maintence ditto the guys and girls at city honda are good so you chould just ring them and ask. or drop in.

doesint sound like recifer i had thse go on my old vfr 1990 and my cbr 900rr 1997 it starts as not wanting to start .

when gets real bad the battery gets low its like cuts out or stops at idle till it be to dangerous to ride. oh wait on thats the stator.

but yeah i give the air fliter a clean with air i have a comprssor but the spark plugs check whould be good.

I dont have any long spark plug spockets . i never check my bikes for that reson and being lazy ;-)

I have my cbr 900 rr engine out the bike if you want a look and can show you few ideas how bikes work.
    That is a bloody nice offer thanks a lot. I think, thinking about it I got some gas from a different place a few times in there (newlands when running really low coming out of town) and used their 95 verses my normal 98. I wonder if they just have water in their gas. If it doesnt come back I'll say it has cleared otherwise I might do. Nice one. Yeah I like City Honda they are miles better than motormart (no comparison at all).

Bike
    I'm gonna bet a chocolate fish that it's rust in the tank.

Empty the tank completely by taking off the fuel pump. Put it back on then fill it with white vinegar. Leave that for a day or two. Drain that the same as the fuel. Mix some baking soda and water, wash the vinegar out with that. Drain , let it dry, and you're off.
    Poor girl is only less than two years old. It just gets high KM's. Tank gets filled every second day normally through the week (might eek out three occasionally in bad weather). Can they rust that fast?

Thread Information