Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Klx250 tyre question

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    yep, I started using them on my DRZ400 after doing a lot more road riding than single track --- great in the gravel and on the road/wet etc --- not great in mud or slick clay but you'll never get a tire which is road worthy which works well in those conditions anyway!

they look like they wear REALLY fast the first few 100km but then it stops? must be the top compound or something -- last a good long time -- rears have a stiff as hell carcass so pretty hard to mount if you do it yourself though even an novice(me) was able to do it in the end... they're a well balanced tire too, made in Japan!

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    I see motOZ have introduced new more road biased tires to their range (Tractionator Adventure/GPS) which would be well worth looking into -- http://motoz.co.nz/tyre-range.html

I used their Tractionator ST which is a 70/30 tire and they worked very well in the soft stuff, but only lasted about 2000KM before the front was munted and the rear flattened off so a more road based one would be ideal as the compound they use is really nice and made in Ozzy so we don't get stung for huge import price

Bike
    Klx250s
    Bloody ass
    I just missed out on a set of new ones in the correct size for a hundred bucks.
    F$%king procrastinated

Sent from the swamp

Bike
    Klx250s
    I'm torn between Shinko 700s or 800s.
    Being a daily I'm leaning to 7s but the 8s look like better fun on dirt

Sent from the swamp

Bike
    Klx250s
    705s fitted last night. Little bit cheaper than the rest.
    Gravel run on Sunday to test them out.
    They are pretty nice on the road compared to my other tyres I just removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu999c View Post
    705s fitted last night. Little bit cheaper than the rest.
    Gravel run on Sunday to test them out.
    They are pretty nice on the road compared to my other tyres I just removed.

What size on the back?

I was recently pondering what to replaced the 705's on the DT 230 with and after much head scratching I decided on........ 705's.

I'm running a 4.10 rear and it has a nice profile, not as flat as a few other tires I have looked at. The profile is such that I doubt I will ever remove the chicken strips, it's a loooong way over.... I've found on gravel corners that getting my weight back and loading the outside peg can achieve a surprising amount of grip once the tire spins through the loose stuff. Not a lot I can do about off camber, though, so I just slow down a tad.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Klx250s
    Stock is 100/100
    I went with 120/80 and 90/90 on the front. The extra mass has made if feel less twitchy in turn in. Much more stable and nicer to ride in general.
    Tire pressures is my next thing to work out.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu999c View Post
    Stock is 100/100
    I went with 120/80 and 90/90 on the front. The extra mass has made if feel less twitchy in turn in. Much more stable and nicer to ride in general.
    Tire pressures is my next thing to work out.

Good luck. I run about 24 / 26 psi front and 26 / 28psi rear, sometimes softer. On the DT a little softer on the rear seems to help when it's hot, bizarrely, I've spun it up out of tar seal corners at 28 - 30 psi. Softer is definitely better on gravel. The 705's seem to last forever.
    Caveat. My opinion is based on typical Northland twisties and gravel, not so much highway riding. A bit more psi would probably be an advantage on big roads.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    I used AC10's on my daily commuter, but my tolerance for low grip the wet might be higher than most. They were great offroad though and lasted quite a while on my klx250.

Thread Information