Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda Grom as a commuter

Bike
    '15 Yamaha MT-07

Honda Grom as a commuter

Hey guys,

I've seen a couple groms on the motorway and was just wondering what you guys think of it as a commuter? I think the size is perfect for getting through traffic, so as long as it reaches 100km/h then it'll get job done.

Note: I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, and if it ain't then I'll move it.
    .. just my 2c ..

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    They can get from 0 to 100 in eventually, if you're a small person and you have a tail wind, and you're going down hill.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Not sure of motorway use (bloody Aucklanders) but are they not designed as a urban commuter ......... be brilliant fatting around Christchurch on one.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by avimistry View Post
    Hey guys,

I've seen a couple groms on the motorway and was just wondering what you guys think of it as a commuter? I think the size is perfect for getting through traffic, so as long as it reaches 100km/h then it'll get job done.

Note: I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, and if it ain't then I'll move it.
    would have thought jokes and humour....

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Hey guys,

Go to You Tube and find Royal Jordanian... he has one in his stable... he seems to get along quite well on it in London and I don't think he's a small bloke either...

Bike
    2004ZX6R
    Hey guys,

Be a good commuter in akld, motorway like a car park anyway,

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Go to You Tube and find Royal Jordanian... he has one in his stable... he seems to get along quite well on it in London and I don't think he's a small bloke either...
    LOL, yup, he loves it, but I've noticed it does not "clear" traffic like the noisy Nuda. They are effectively a FI postie bike.

The Groms have got me fascinated. In a year or 3 when a few pre loved ones become available I'm hoping a race series kicks off. Like buckets but more random. Grom gravel hill climbs, Grom motards, Grom sprints, Grom endurance races etc. Cheap fun being the point.

Oooooooooh LOOK!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I think this answers all the questions on performance.... Must have traction control etc.. 61mph. Looks hilarious, changing gear by hand to cut wind resistance. I'm in! Street racing class?

https://youtu.be/Me5wjKsUsSY

I think the first few minutes covers all the main points.......
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    They can get from 0 to 100 in eventually, if you're a small person and you have a tail wind, and you're going down hill.
    Yeah, pretty much. There are a few mods you can do which improves their chances of getting to 100kph. No way I'd take one on the motorway, but then I'd look like an elephant riding a tricycle.

I should get a pic of it next to my BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    '15 Yamaha MT-07
    Main concern is performance, engine wise anyway. I'm a smaller guy but I'm still not convinced it'll do 100. Though if you live in Auckland and travel during peak traffic times, you'd know that 60 is the new 100

There's an updated Grom for 2017 (2018 in NZ), though this is just a cosmetic change. Looks a lil more refined, I'd say.. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-honda-msx-125-grom-motorcycle-bike-review-specs-motorbike-pit-125cc-msx125sf-sf-custom-31.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	324132
    .. just my 2c ..

Bike
    '15 Yamaha MT-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Haha yeah he can't be a small guy with that voice. I wouldn't mind a Nuda as a commuter..
    .. just my 2c ..

Bike
    2004ZX6R

Bike
    '15 Yamaha MT-07
    Hahaha, yeah seen this. Apparently it went up in flames. Definitely couldn't complain about the power. Though I wonder how long the 14" rubber would've lasted putting down 170-180hp..
    .. just my 2c ..

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WNJ View Post
    Yeah, a reality check. I've ridden one and liked it, would be happy use it as an alternative to a scooter hereabout. (I'm old, I don't much care what I look like.) Wasn't sure about the motorway but then have memories of sitting on the Southern motorway with both feet on the ground while both the bike and I threatened to overheat.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '15 Yamaha MT-07
    Quote Originally Posted by WNJ View Post
    Didn't get this at first, but 100% agree that a Grom's top speed might not matter much (if at all) in Auckland peak traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Yeah, a reality check. I've ridden one and liked it, would be happy use it as an alternative to a scooter hereabout. (I'm old, I don't much care what I look like.) Wasn't sure about the motorway but then have memories of sitting on the Southern motorway with both feet on the ground while both the bike and I threatened to overheat.
    Yeah, a great alternative to a scooter. Best to take one for a test ride to see how I like it. The riders of the 2 I saw on the Southern were all geared up, full suit and the works. Was funny and awesome at the same time..
    .. just my 2c ..

Thread Information