Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oops

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Oops

Got spotted doing 164 up the Bombays. That cop didn't light me up or anything but there was one waiting at Mount Wellington who I duly stopped for.

Instant 28 day suspension and summons to court for the speeding.

To my name I have a ticket for 120 in a 100 and 95 in an 80 so 55 demerits.

How is court going to work out for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk5614 View Post
    Got spotted doing 164 up the Bombays. That cop didn't light me up or anything but there was one waiting at Mount Wellington who I duly stopped for.

You carried on, on the motorway not thinking anytime now! and of course it happened.With previous and riding a Busa I'd say youré going to get a bit of experience at marathons, the on foot type.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    You carried on, on the motorway not thinking anytime now! and of course it happened.With previous and riding a Busa I'd say youré going to get a bit of experience at marathons, the on foot type.
    Yip if it were me I would have exited at the next off ramp. 164 on an often heavily policed bit of SH1? New Balance have some good deals going at the moment.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    if the judge is having a good day, it will be 6 months walking.

If he's having a bad day, he'll give you 12 months and one day walking . . .

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pilot-Card1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	324192

Sorry... couldn't resist...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    if you paid you shit before it got to court, it wont be on you 'record' as such. only if the cop who's presenting it wants to paint you as a cunt.

are you a cunt?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    50kph+ over speed limit is usually a summons for dangerous driving, which carries a minimum disqualification period of 6 months. If you're super lucky you might get exceeding 100kph, but unlikely. For the record, 40kph over a permanent speed zone and you're walking for 28 days.

35-36kph ish over the limit is 50 demerits (there is no higher level) so you're now also over 100 demerits. I don't know how that plays out with (presumably) the other disqualification you're getting. Excess demerit disqualifications are 3 months.

If you do get a charge of dangerous driving then I think you don't have the option of limited licences for work? I may be wrong... You're definitely out for at least the 28 day disqualification: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resou...imited-lic.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2004ZX6R
    I got let off with a warning last week for doing 184 in a 100 zone in patetonga ,rural cops are awesome,

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Take doughnuts for the cop, Whisky for a male judge or flowers for a female.

Otherwise, spit in your palm and wipe it between you legs for some lubrication.

You're gonna get screwed, not question

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    50kph+ over speed limit is usually a summons for dangerous driving, which carries a minimum disqualification period of 6 months. If you're super lucky you might get exceeding 100kph, but unlikely. For the record, 40kph over a permanent speed zone and you're walking for 28 days.

35-36kph ish over the limit is 50 demerits (there is no higher level) so you're now also over 100 demerits. I don't know how that plays out with (presumably) the other disqualification you're getting. Excess demerit disqualifications are 3 months.

If you do get a charge of dangerous driving then I think you don't have the option of limited licences for work? I may be wrong... You're definitely out for at least the 28 day disqualification: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resou...imited-lic.pdf

Do you know what exactly results in the difference in punishment between "28 days suspension" and "more", by any chance?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

They didnt pull you because you were going way over the chase limit. Yep you will get a Dangerous for that so at least 6 months walking but for that speed probably 12. Along with a good sized fine and maybe some PD to go with it. Sell the bike before the hearing and tell the judge you have.

You wont be able to insure it again anyway. Well not with a premium and excess that less than the value of the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    To clarify, the cop said he decided that I wouldn't be reported for dangerous driving.

I have paperwork saying that I am summonsed for exceeding 100kph.

I also have a 28 day suspension.

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    And yes, wasn't thinking - should have pulled off. Didn't see blues so thought I'd gotten away with it lol.

Life is a learning curve and last night I was a significant plonker....

In terms of "am I a cunt?", all conversation was friendly. I was remorseful and respective. The cop was pleasant and helpful.

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    But yes, I'm sitting on 55 demerits and the cop said I'd get 50 at court.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    Do you know what exactly results in the difference in punishment between "28 days suspension" and "more", by any chance?
    Sorry, not sure what you're asking? He receives an automatic (well, there is the unicorn cop that won't give it) 28 day for going 40+ over a permanent limit (it's 50+ over in a temporary) and that's immediate (ie, if they're nice, you can ride/drive home, if not, you're calling someone). On top of that, you're going to get similar to what's discussed.

To clarify, the cop said he decided that I wouldn't be reported for dangerous driving.

I have paperwork saying that I am summonsed for exceeding 100kph.

I also have a 28 day suspension.
    Apparently there is a set schedule for speed v fines: http://www.police.govt.nz/faq/what-a...s-for-speeding

As for disqualification, I'd expect one, but you're now at the mercy of prosecution and judge. Your history comes into account, the mood of the judge, what prosecution wants etc. Actually it also depends if you're before a JP (expect a rubber stamp of whatever the cops said) or a judge (my experience found them to be super fair, bollocking people/lawyers/police alike). You're probably best to seek a lawyer, depending on what's at stake (which adds to your cost). They may advise re selling bike, doing defensive driving, anything that may help swing things in your favour. Think of it this way... the scale of limits stops at 50kph over. Doing 164kph to a lay person is clubbing baby seals/kittens level bad. Yes, you can probably do it in first gear but that's not how the average person sees it.

Insurance will need to be notified (any car/bike etc policy you have) and for them, it raises your risk profile... for years usually.

You're not so much getting 50 demerits "at court", but that speed carries 50 demerits, and paying the fine / accepting guilt means the penalties are applied. The excess demerits usually comes along a little later, NZTA catches up, sends out an agent to collect your licence etc. The lawyer will probably be useful for negotiating the way through 28 days vs court imposed punishment vs 3 months for excess demerits. I never collected in quite that much style and have since learnt my lesson (mostly)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information