Thread: Decisions, decisions

Bike
    ES XTZ
    People here say Busa's are visually challenging

Bike
    "02 Aprilia Mille
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    None are my cup of tea either but just going on what OP may like up to their $ limit.
    I had an '03 Ltd and it was a great bike but tyre wear was horrendous with showing off the great torque it had...

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassai View Post
    We have decided to buy an additional bike.

Want something more modern (current love is 1993). Heres the criteria

• 1200cc's +
    • Fast
    • Powerful
    • Handles well (nimble)
    • Good for Sports Touring
    • Decent size pillion seat
    • Good distance gas range
    • Can spend up to $25k

Any suggestions? I am very open
    Apart from the engine size bit I had a similar if not identical list of considerations when recently buying new.
    I have an Aprilia Caponord 1200 Strada.

Your specific list

1200+
    this is a 1200 Italian V twin. Even with the stock exhaust it sounds pretty amazing. Chap on a Z1000 with Yoshis told me, so it must be true. It definitely has a nice hooligan sound.

Fast
    Bike is as fast as you need on the road if you want to keep your licence. I ride with peeps who ride the likes of 1200GSs, Z1000, Blackbird, TNAB, Street Triple, GSXR750 etc, so while not race bikes are not exactly slow.

Powerful
    It has 125HP, again not the most you will find but plenty for real world.

Nimble
    Big wide bars, you just think about turning and it does it. Pretty slim in the body compared to my previous IL4 and much easier to chuck around. I happily do the Kapiti to Wgtn commute at various times and weathers, I have no problems filtering. Its "only" 214kgs dry.

Good for sports touring
    I have no chicken strips and I am not a racer, this is a confidence inspiring machine. I have the base version which has adjustable front and rear Sachs suspension, the TP and Rally versions have a semi-automatic suspension set up which is highly rated. Even with the fully manual version the adjustments are easily accessible so you can readily allow for luggage and/or pillion. I am 1.96m and 110kg in the nip so a few more with my gear, to say nothing of being a bit bulkier. The seat is absolutely brilliant. Riding two up, both me and my pillion have lots of space and the peg positions are good.

Decent size pillion seat
    Big reason for choosing the bike, my very fussy wife selected the Caponord out of all other bikes I tried and she test-pillioned. I have had testimonials from riders who have owned BMW tourers and big adventure bikes or the various Multistrada versions or KTMs and they all say this is the superior bike for two up comfort AND handling.

Good distance gas tank
    24litre tank, I do 350kms pretty much every time between orange warning lights, yet to put more than 20litres in. 400kms therefore seems a very safe bet.

Can spend $25k
    Bike was $19990. That came with heated grips and Givi pannier racks as well as the plate and 6 months ACC contribution, sorry vehicle licence. There are factory rails for luggage but as I didn't like the look of the factory colour matched panniers available and had my eye on some nice Givi ones anyway, I went for the Givi option.
    Since then I put Hepco and Becker engine bars, Givi LED foglights, a California Science screen, Denali Sound Bomb, RadGuard radiator and oil cooler guard and an extra power outlet on the bike. (there is a USB socket under the pillion) I got Givi Trekker luggage, two 33l panniers and a 52l top box plus liners. All up I spent less than $3k on farkles so well within your budget.
    The touring pack version which has the ADD electronic suspension, hot grips, centre stand and factory panniers and maybe even cruise control (please check!) can be yours for about $23/24k OTR.

Downsides?
    Its Italian, or so everybody keeps telling me, I have had no issues 5000kms in.
    I did change the front sprocket down one tooth ($30 sprocket) to lower the gearing a bit. Apparently all big Vtwins are like that. I think that's bollox. The bike is a joy on the open road. I sometimes forget the top couple of gears are there. Its nowhere near as vibey as the S1000XR which is odd, given thats a 4 pot.
    I am tall so had to get the taller screen but the stock one has a good 50mm of adjustment and there are a few options out there.
    I found it a bit frustrating that most of the stuff I wanted it was simpler and much quicker to shop online myself. The NZ importer do not put the same effort into supporting Aprilia aftermarket bits-and-bobs-wise that they do with BMW and Triumph. Still the net is your friend!

The bike is not perfect and like all the competition will doubtless have its detractors. I do think however that Aprilia missed out by not promoting it better.

Definitely worth a test ride and this is a good time to be shopping, dealers are keen to refresh their floor stock, you might get a very sharp deal.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    CB1300
    Yup.
    My first thought on opening those links was "is that a big exhaust or are you just pleased to see me?"

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Yup.
    My first thought on opening those links was "is that a big exhaust or are you just pleased to see me?"

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    Busa and the 14 are both long as well. Im more comfortable on a Gixxer 1k. Not good bikes for shorter peeps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Kawa ZX1400
    You can always replace the exhaust.....

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Here you go. Looks better and sounds better than aanything mentioned so far. And nimble? No contest.

Pillion? Take the bus bitch, I'm too busy having fun.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1155481549.htm
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Busa and the 14 are both long as well. Im more comfortable on a Gixxer 1k. Not good bikes for shorter peeps.
    On the other have a GSXR1000 under me looks like a 600 under most riders.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassai View Post
    We have decided to buy an additional bike.

Want something more modern (current love is 1993). Heres the criteria

• 1200cc's +
    • Fast
    • Powerful
    • Handles well (nimble)
    • Good for Sports Touring
    • Decent size pillion seat
    • Good distance gas range
    • Can spend up to $25k

Any suggestions? I am very open
    Dis http://www.autobase.co.nz/motorbikes...se/1710101.htm tho not strictly speaking "sports".

or dis http://www.autobase.co.nz/motorbikes...ts/2689975.htm

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    On the other have a GSXR1000 under me looks like a 600 under most riders.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    NZsargeis like that, he is fucking huge. He monster'd the 14 that he had ...his previous FZ1 had no chance.

People who start threads like this, generally end up buying something very different than what has been offered up as a suggestion to the question.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    Not bad options there.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    +1 for a Busa here,

I put comfort Bars on mine and it's the ideal Sport Tourer, yes it does look ugly - but when you are on it, you can't see it, and everyone else just thinks you look cool*

To address your requirements:

It's bigger than 1200.
    It's Bloody Fast
    It's Bloody powerful
    I think it handles well - although this one is about perspective, I find it tips in nicely and on a sweeper, it feels planted and stable, other people who are used to supersport/superbike handling might find it a bit heavy.
    It's amazing for sport touring (specially with the comfort bars on it, I could ride it till the cows come home, it's got a nice comfy seat as stock, although I am thinking about upgrading to a Gel seat)
    The Pillion seat is nice and generous (and is Wife approved)
    Tank Range - on a full tank, I'm getting about 300 Km (which is commuting through traffic) I've not done a long road trip on it to see the mileage I get on the open road
    Brand spankers 2016 will set you back $20K

*That's what I tell myself anyway
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    bandit
    That Honda looks even worse than the early models ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    '06 vfr 800 81 GS550 postie

Multistrada

38,ooo kms in, no problems. Fast, comfy (two up all over Europe) , get the 'S' with Ohlins...
    lucky bastard

Bike
    2006 GSX600R
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    *sigh*

I think this is the perfect time to say it...

Get a busa!
    Thats what id buy

Thread Information