Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rise of the Machines

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Globally, over a million people a year die in traffic accidents. Automatic vehicles have the potential to drop this number to a fraction of what it is today. Bring it on.
    The problem is the majority of those who die on the road are in the countries that will be right at the back of the queue for autonomous vehicles. Not sure when you will see a full on Tesla fapping around the autobahns of Ethiopia or a platoon of self driving Volvo F12's dodging the elephants in Rajasthan.

https://www.worldbank.org/transport/...fety.htm#crash

Bike
    my little pony
    I think it will become obvious that bikers are killing themselves.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    I understand peoples comments in regards to once the whole system is autonomous, but my main concern is dealing with the transistion phase over the next 10 years....
    What will an automated vehicles response be in a breakdown situ like in narrow road like manawatu gorge. Will the occupants be able to manually push it out of the way of other traffic...
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    I understand peoples comments in regards to once the whole system is autonomous, but my main concern is dealing with the transistion phase over the next 10 years....
    What will an automated vehicles response be in a breakdown situ like in narrow road like manawatu gorge. Will the occupants be able to manually push it out of the way of other traffic...
    And there in lies the rub. That's why I believe it will take decades before a country like NZ, let alone, say, Nepal, will be dominated by autonomous vehicles. Designing a vehicle which can safely and efficiently travel on a motorway into and from a city is one thing. Designing a vehicle which will do the same on all NZ, or otherwise, roads is a much bigger task. The same restrictions will initially apply to autonomous vehicles as applied to the first IC engine vehicles. They will only deliver the full promise on suitable roads.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...their effect is preceding them...a car park space in our little village, we have been informed by TPTB, is going to be a recharging facility for e-cars...there is already a furore developing with a local group who think that they (e-cars), should fuck off and find their own spot...I just luv livin' in the country...it's so entertaining...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...their effect is preceding them...a car park space in our little village, we have been informed by TPTB, is going to be a recharging facility for e-cars...there is already a furore developing with a local group who think that they (e-cars), should fuck off and find their own spot...I just luv livin' in the country...it's so entertaining...
    Have you noticed people walking like John Cleese, with their chins and chests thrust out in a determined manner?

We have a charging facility here in Kawakawa. I noticed immediately that the owner of the gas station across the road had no objection. It's a great place for parking.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    For an autonomous car driving in a crowded city would be more challenging than the open road. Generally it is for a human. I don't think it will take much more than 10 years before the majority of cars will be self driving for the majority of the time with the driver "supervising". Much like a modern airliner. Liability can be reduced by disclaimers and making sure the driver/conductor is aware that the systems are driver aids and not to fall asleep at the wheel.

I don't think many people have managed to sue a car company over ABS or ESC not preventing an accident?
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Hyosung GT650 and Suzuki GSXR750
    I'm sure a car made with all the best modern technology and a computer system designed to get you from A to B as safely as possible will be far more reliable than a stressed out, distracted human who treats their car like an appliance. And with a bit of luck they might help us reduce the population of hipsters when they get confused. http://www.businessinsider.com.au/go...15-8?r=US&IR=T

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Not that it matters much but cold comfort is better than no comfort.

Question: would you rather be T-boned by another person, to whom you can unleash some well chosen comments about their pedigree post crash (lets be positive and assume your still able to communicate) or by a passionless machine that will never show any remorse for its dark deed, never wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat regretful of its inattention and pending court appearance or even give it another thought....err...computation?

Part of the healing process we humans go through is being able to unload our frustrations on each other....yelling at machines just isn't the same. The scientists haven't thought about that now have they.
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    Not that it matters much but cold comfort is better than no comfort.

Question: would you rather be T-boned by another person, to whom you can unleash some well chosen comments about their pedigree post crash (lets be positive and assume your still able to communicate) or by a passionless machine that will never show any remorse for its dark deed, never wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat regretful of its inattention and pending court appearance or even give it another thought....err...computation?

Part of the healing process we humans go through is being able to unload our frustrations on each other....yelling at machines just isn't the same. The scientists haven't thought about that now have they.
    Programmers and designers will have a few sleepless nights. Biggest issue is the moral dilemma of minimising casualties. Unlike a human a car will eventually have enough time and information to work out the best course of action to minimise casualties. Ploughing you into a wall to avoid a multi car pile up or to avoid smashing into a bunch of school kids who have bumbled into the road accidentally. Would you programme your car to slam your side into an oncoming object to avoid injuring your partner or children in case of an accident.

The upcoming moral dilemmas are massive.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Have you noticed people walking like John Cleese, with their chins and chests thrust out in a determined manner?

We have a charging facility here in Kawakawa. I noticed immediately that the owner of the gas station across the road had no objection. It's a great place for parking.
    The owner owner of the gassy probably immediately recognises the value of still being the impulse purchase destination without the losses involved in including fuel in the transaction.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    You would have to be very short sighted to own a gas station and not tap into the electric car market potential. Nothing else to do except spend money while your waiting for a quick battery boost or swap out.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    no. no that's silly. the demograph for electrics is those on a limited range (what, 250km right now?)
    until flash-charge battery tech comes in, servos are irrelevant for them. it's charge at home, drive to work, charge at work, drive home.

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post

Maybe, but John Cleese had it down to a fine art - even gave his Austin 1100 a "sound thrashing"
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    no. no that's silly. the demograph for electrics is those on a limited range (what, 250km right now?)
    until flash-charge battery tech comes in, servos are irrelevant for them. it's charge at home, drive to work, charge at work, drive home.
    They will still be pumping up tyres, refilling windscreen wash, jet washing, stopping for a pee and a coffee. Tesla can take a 50% charge in 20 minutes.

Thread Information