Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rise of the Machines

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    I'd be happy to see autonomous cars for the drivers that are not so capable!
    Actually I do know some people that would love an autonomous car because they can't drive at all now due to being legally blind, I see others on the road that shouldn't be due to being fuckin' stupid!
    Totally agree.

Whichever way you look at it, they are coming, teething troubles and all. Ultimately, having a chauffeur without the wage cost has a lot of appeal.

A scenario I postulated on the Tesla site was coming home from a hard days dirt riding, eating and sleeping while I traveled. Bliss. Must admit, the info on these vehicles towing trailers is pretty scant.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Totally agree.

Whichever way you look at it, they are coming, teething troubles and all. Ultimately, having a chauffeur without the wage cost has a lot of appeal.

A scenario I postulated on the Tesla site was coming home from a hard days dirt riding, eating and sleeping while I traveled. Bliss. Must admit, the info on these vehicles towing trailers is pretty scant.
    Oh yeah - picking you up from a one way hike, bike, run, trial ride. You can't stop progress - might as well focus on the positives. By the time the technology becomes widespread enough to stop me driving my V8 I'll be past the age of being able to safely drive myself.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree.

Whichever way you look at it, they are coming, teething troubles and all.
    Coming like moonbases and supersonic airliners, or coming like phones in your pocket?

Ultimately, having a chauffeur without the wage cost has a lot of appeal.
    Unless, of course, it turns out to be cheaper to hire the chauffeur than buy the car (I notice Apple has scaled back their car efforts, and they're not interested in anything that doesn't have mega margins).

I'm thinking they should make a robot chauffeur – one that can drive any car. And make beeping noises. Ooh, and say "warning, warning, collision approaching, run [insert name here]!"
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    bike sold :-(
    Totally agree.

Audi already have a system for reversing trailers for all the no hopers who can't work out the physics of turn left to make the trailer go right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6n7FlOcXMw Audi VW and skoda alter the ABS and traction control response when a trailer is fitted so most of the technology already exists.

The trailer assist system can't be sold in NZ as the tow hitch required is not certified to NZ standards, it exceeds these standards but just doesn't have the paperwork to say it does and for the one or two people who will want this option is not worth spending the money to do so. NZ tow bar manufactures actively blocked excepting overseas standards to close the NZ market to the better Tow bars available as OEM fitment to keep, there monopoly. This is going to be the biggest hurdle to the new technologies coming on line, some luddite who wants to keep selling there 50 year out of date technology so they can keep making a couple of dollars by blocking new technology when they don't have the ability to make it.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    whatever way you chose to look at it all new technology has had its teething problems. Pointless ignition to FI, we've weathered the storm and eventually reaped the rewards. That being said I'd still rather be run over by a car with a human at the wheel than some Cyberdyne Systems terminator controlled drone. Ignore Sarah Conner's warnings at your own peril
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    The beginning and the trucks will lead the way. Look at it from the position of the owners of trucking companys, better fuel economy, less maintance, no wages to pay and the computor dosen't have a maxium amount of hours it can drive. Buy a couple of extra trailers so you can pre load them and you can run the rig 24/7, more cost efective and you can move more freight with less tractor units. This will be the big push as most current drivers have been conditioned to the fact that they are in control of their car (would argue the point myself with some of the driving I have seen over the years I have been on the road) and are proving reluctant to give over control to a computor. But from a freight companys point of view if they can cut their costs (no drivers no wages) and run my equipment 24/7 giving them a better return on investment they will push to bring this techology online ASAP. The cars will follow especialy if it makes it easier to run the trucks with out drivers, economics will get us all yet again. My question is if everything else is automated where does a human controled motorbike fit? Or will they also have to be computor controled and would you ride one, or should I say pillion one as the computors doing the riding your just along for the ride.

http://phys.org/news/2016-10-driverl...-colorado.html

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by spanner spinner View Post
    The beginning and the trucks will lead the way. Look at it from the position of the owners of trucking companys, better fuel economy, less maintance, no wages to pay and the computor dosen't have a maxium amount of hours it can drive. Buy a couple of extra trailers so you can pre load them and you can run the rig 24/7, more cost efective and you can move more freight with less tractor units. This will be the big push as most current drivers have been conditioned to the fact that they are in control of their car (would argue the point myself with some of the driving I have seen over the years I have been on the road) and are proving reluctant to give over control to a computor. But from a freight companys point of view if they can cut their costs (no drivers no wages) and run my equipment 24/7 giving them a better return on investment they will push to bring this techology online ASAP. The cars will follow especialy if it makes it easier to run the trucks with out drivers, economics will get us all yet again. My question is if everything else is automated where does a human controled motorbike fit? Or will they also have to be computor controled and would you ride one, or should I say pillion one as the computors doing the riding your just along for the ride.

http://phys.org/news/2016-10-driverl...-colorado.html
    sounds like dream world to me.

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    sounds like dream world to me.
    motorbikes will need gyros to remain stable or they may just speed limited to 45kph for your average hooligan on his/her GSXR1CBRZXRRZZZRXB1rrrrrrrrrrr......

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    The car and motorcycle enthusiast will become like the modern horse rider.
    Can I scream?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I believe it was Mercedes who the other day answered in a round about way the question about the 'moral dilemma' manufacturers face regarding who the software chooses to kill, the driver or the innocent pedestrian etc. They said that their software would be programmed to protect the occupants first and foremost. This I can understand. If I was a CEO and was considering which luxury car I was going to buy, I'd want the one that chooses to save me, not kill me. Simple really. Morally ethical? Don't know, but it makes sense.

Bike
    KTM
    yeah that's an old mental exercise called the 'trolley problem'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

The trolley problem is a thought experiment in ethics. The general form of the problem is this: There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You have two options: (1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the five people on the main track. (2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person. Which is the most ethical choice?

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    yeah that's an old mental exercise called the 'trolley problem'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

The trolley problem is a thought experiment in ethics. The general form of the problem is this: There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You have two options: (1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the five people on the main track. (2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person. Which is the most ethical choice?
    Option one is a little more palatable because it removes you from the role of actor to the role of observer.

Personally I would be more affected by standing idly by and allowing the five to perish so would probably take option 2.
    But then I have been brought up to believe in moral imperatives such as the means justifies the ends and better one than many.

Far easier to be altruistic in theory than in real life I imagine. Where a human might make a radically different choice....
    What if I were the one who would die?
    What if a family were the five?
    What if that were my family?
    The girl you have a crush on vs five paedophiles?

Scenario:
    Your juggernaught is reversing up the drive, your little girl runs into the driveway to get a kiss from you before you go. Juggernaut can't stop in time by the time your car detects her presence. Does the car put you over a bank to save her or continue to try and brake to save you?

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    Exercycle
    Saw a side effect of driverless vehicles mentioned on another forum by a guy who should know...

They're already using robot trucks underground in Aussie mines. They've turned out to be harder on the roadbeds...
    The guidance systems are so accurate that they all follow exactly the same path. Human drivers typically are within about a meter each time round.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Saw a side effect of driverless vehicles mentioned on another forum by a guy who should know...

They're already using robot trucks underground in Aussie mines. They've turned out to be harder on the roadbeds...
    The guidance systems are so accurate that they all follow exactly the same path. Human drivers typically are within about a meter each time round.
    this is just a software issue, easy fix the deviation can be programmed in. This is still easier to fix by a few lines of code than training bad habits out of a bad driver.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    or build roads proper...?

Thread Information