Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rise of the Machines

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Saw a side effect of driverless vehicles mentioned on another forum by a guy who should know...

They're already using robot trucks underground in Aussie mines. They've turned out to be harder on the roadbeds...
    The guidance systems are so accurate that they all follow exactly the same path. Human drivers typically are within about a meter each time round.
    They found the same thing with automated plane landing, they had to add a bounded random number to the target landing spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    or build roads proper...?
    Build roads that don't wear out? Fuck, I bet no one has thought of that before!
    Can I scream?

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    They will be unaffordable by most people for many years so you will be waiting a long time for deaths to drop in a big way. Road deaths will likely increase for a while as the technology is in its infancy. I hope ACC does not put premiums up for everyone else as a result of crashes caused by driverless cars.
    None of the sensors or computers are massively expensive in the grand scheme of things. It's going to be driver assist for a while yet. It won't take long for the results to be felt. A car that won't let you pull out in front of someone or go into the back of someone will go a long way to reducing deaths. The anti rear end technology is already pretty common on high end cars. It won't be long before it's mandatory.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave- View Post
    Build roads that don't wear out? Fuck, I bet no one has thought of that before!
    better*. would be a good start.
    the foot of base under the inch of bitch just doesn't really cut it for trucks hauling 50t

a pair of parrallel high carbon steel rails seems to last a whiley, too...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbuoy View Post
    The anti rear end technology is already pretty common on high end cars. It won't be long before it's mandatory.
    a shame they dont instead mandatorise not driving into shit.Most people manage, most of the time...

Bike
    Its a Boat
    a shame they dont instead mandatorise not driving into shit.Most people manage, most of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Serious question; Does this kind of post ^^^ make sense to you in your head when you type it?
    As your shearing buddy once asked.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I expect we will need a "Model T" equivalent to kick it off much like what happened in the US over about 10-20 years with the horse which had been around for some years.

As someone who only buys vehicles when they are 10 years old plus I'll have to wait a while
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by spanner spinner View Post
    ....less maintance, no wages to pay and the computor dosen't have a maxium amount of hours it can drive. Buy a couple of extra trailers so you can pre load them and you can run the rig 24/7, more cost efective and you can move more freight with less tractor units....
    How does owning more capital equipment equal less maintainance cost???? The freight wont load and unload itself either. Many current general freight operations rely on human skill and experience to 'cube out' a trailer to its maximum payload. The side issues here too are customer service in making sure all freight is shipped and undamaged. You could write a computer program for a robot forklift to load freight but here are many intangible variable and creative solutions to making freight fit....

The big wild card though is the price of commercial real estate which is why we have just in time manufacturing and transport operations. Its the reason why we cant have everything on rail 'like the old days' as storage costs are often higher than actually sending something somewhere. To have extra trailers you need extra space to park them and also loading unloading.

And how will these self drive vehicles cope with storms and natural disasters, minor and major.
    And down the track just imagine once the wild life realises the machines will brake for them.... Imagine the point of evolution where a feral cow knows it can wander onto the roadway and nap in front of a roadtrain getting free winter heat of its idling engine as it wait for the cow to move on.... ohh hang on sounds like driving through remuera.... lol
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    I believe it was Mercedes who the other day answered in a round about way the question about the 'moral dilemma' manufacturers face regarding who the software chooses to kill, the driver or the innocent pedestrian etc. They said that their software would be programmed to protect the occupants first and foremost. This I can understand. If I was a CEO and was considering which luxury car I was going to buy, I'd want the one that chooses to save me, not kill me. Simple really. Morally ethical? Don't know, but it makes sense.
    Yes and also the legal imnplication. Imagine the lawsuits if a customer buys a product and his safety is secondary to mere strangers.
    Just look at trains and we have our answer already. The train is big heavy and cant stop easy. It can kill many people if the many people choose to get their tour bus in the way of the train. So do we have pre placed explosiuve charges to blow a train of its own tracks if a tour bus gets stuck on crossing... no its just hard luck for those in the way of the systems preffered mode of transport.
    Same with shipping and pleasure craft boats/swimmers.

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    I'm pretty sure it is already mandatory not to drive into the back of someone. If 28% of accidents are rear end collisions it will make a huge difference. Especially to bikes.

With autonomous cars comes the end of an era for speeding, traffic violations and more than likely individual car ownership over the next 50 -100 years. Human piloted cars will be around for a while yet but it won't be long before they are deemed to dangerous.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    I'm pretty sure it is already mandatory not to drive into the back of someone. If 28% of accidents are rear end collisions it will make a huge difference. Especially to bikes.
    Your allowed to, you just get a fine for failing to stop in time, $150. I've been hit twice but haven't decided to drive into someone else just yet

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Leaked footage of the new software doing its thing...

I think some work is still needed, as it hit the people but then tried to kill the driver by aiming for the wall.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    WHATTTTTTT!?!?!?!!? you mean people infringe legislation by failing to stop short?!?!?! how dare they! the police should do something. shirley.

Bike
    bandit
    WHATTTTTTT!?!?!?!!? you mean people infringe legislation by failing to stop short?!?!?! how dare they! the police should do something. shirley.
    I'm wondering what an ACT MP has to do with anything?

"So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Obsolete ones.

With autonomous cars comes the end of an era for speeding, traffic violations and more than likely individual car ownership over the next 50 -100 years. Human piloted cars will be around for a while yet but it won't be long before they are deemed to dangerous.
    Now that's a point. As the self drive fleet increases the Police Christmas fund will get less and less.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    I'm wondering what an ACT MP has to do with anything?
    you and everyone else

Thread Information