Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Taste Of A Race

Bike
    R1200RT LC

A Taste Of A Race

On the Tranzalpine Scooter Safari yesterday I got a taste of racing. Sounds naff, but it felt great.

It was a stage event, and one stage was from Arthur's Pass to the Kumara Racecourse.

When we left it was up to the top of the Otira Viaduct and then it was downhill and undulating all the way to Kumara.

I was on my 50cc Adly Silver Fox. The catalytic converter was gone, and it did 65 kmh flat out. Turns out the gearing in the CVT was quite tall.

I caught up with two other bikes with very similar performance. One was a 50 cc Honda step through, old school, 70s kind of thing. Other was a home build with two wheels at the rear, motorcycle controls, pivot in the middle. The engine was above the rear axle.

Each of us had an advantage. My Adly sucked uphill, the Honda similarly. The trike had maybe 1% advantage on us there. On the flat and undulating the Honda had us by maybe that same 1%, and on the downhills I had taller gears meaning I could roll over them by that same 1%.

Drafting became the way we rolled. We could each slip stream each other, but in the main none of us could get away aside from the above stated advantages. I would be sitting 30 cm behind the Honda quite comfortably but when I pulled out to pass the increased wind resistance just made it impossible.

We each learned to keep our profiles low, reducing wind resistance. Each of us had the bikes tapped out, and just let them decide who was going faster under which conditions. But nobody could get away.

I think we varied between about 50 and 65 kmh, depending on gradient, but none of us was able to get away.

It was awesome. At the end of the stage it felt like we had formed some sort of bond. It wasn't a race, but sure felt like it.

I wondered if the Motorcycle GP guys felt that same way, only at 5 times the speed.

I can get why people race buckets. It's not the speed that counts, it's the competition.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    It was kind of interesting how seeking speed causes you to ride differently.

I tend to brake very little on the open road anyway, but on the moped it became a real focus.

Preserving momentum became king. Gaining momentum and preserving momentum.

When you have to work so hard to obtain speed braking just seems such a waste. When drafting the odd nervous blip of the rear brake (left lever on the Mighty Adly) was more psychological than necessary.

When you are drafting you feel like you can go faster, so the guy ahead is in the way. But pull out and the wind resistance the guy ahead is breaking hits you, and reality bites.

Each time you brake you lose speed and then consume energy regaining it.

A message for life, really.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    When you are drafting you feel like you can go faster, so the guy ahead is in the way. But pull out and the wind resistance the guy ahead is breaking hits you, and reality bites.
    Reminds me touring with a mate who liked riding his GN250. Somewhere on the straights (could have been south or north) he slowly catches up to a truck and trailer rig. Checks, no traffic, pulls out to overtake...

Immediately the gap between him and truck opens up and he can't even maintain it. He pulls back in. Later on, he's angry that the truck sped up, and I had to tell him no, you were drafting and that's why you couldn't overtake.

Had a really hard time staying on my bike watching the truck leave him behind because I was laughing so hard
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Reminds me touring with a mate who liked riding his GN250. Somewhere on the straights (could have been south or north) he slowly catches up to a truck and trailer rig. Checks, no traffic, pulls out to overtake...

Immediately the gap between him and truck opens up and he can't even maintain it. He pulls back in. Later on, he's angry that the truck sped up, and I had to tell him no, you were drafting and that's why you couldn't overtake.

Had a really hard time staying on my bike watching the truck leave him behind because I was laughing so hard
    20 years of cycling in road groups makes you comfortable hugging the rear wheel ahead.

Turned out the other two were similarly comfortable.

Good times.

Bike
    Awesome sauce. Good to hear you had fun man. Seen a few bookface posts from some friends and it looks like it was another successful year. Well more scuessful route wise.

FYI though you have just lost your right to post any more threads about safe following distances Worth it though.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Haha, time to get a bucket then mate! Battle of the Buckets is at the end of the month, get out there and enjoy.

Doesn't matter what you are racing, all those Motogp guys would be equally happy on Postie bikes just as long as they're in the thick of it.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Awesome sauce. Good to hear you had fun man. Seen a few bookface posts from some friends and it looks like it was another successful year. Well more scuessful route wise.

FYI though you have just lost your right to post any more threads about safe following distances Worth it though.
    That following distance thing crossed my mind quite a few times.

Then I thought "whuq it" and kept on drafting.

It took a few km to build up the confidence in the other riders to let me get that close for that long. Especially given the brake lights on the others were marginal.

Great fun.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    Haha, time to get a bucket then mate! Battle of the Buckets is at the end of the month, get out there and enjoy.

Doesn't matter what you are racing, all those Motogp guys would be equally happy on Postie bikes just as long as they're in the thick of it.
    Too much on to take on another hobby just now.

Have to say it peaked my interest though.

Before the event hit the road 250 scooters did 4 laps of Ruapuna. Well, 249. I only did 2. Riding with so many who hadn't been on a track before was scary.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    20 years of cycling in road groups makes you comfortable hugging the rear wheel ahead.
    what about the two second rule?

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    Mate, they are scooters. That probably WAS two seconds.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    In road cycling it's more the 2 metre rule, once you drop 2 metres behind the person in front you're going to be riding by yourself.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    In road cycling it's more the 2 metre rule, once you drop 2 metres behind the person in front you're going to be riding by yourself.
    Still look like a dickhead regardless

We really shouldn't start this though. To provide balance I will post some positives: Cyclists are awesome cause they save baby seals.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I like it. Little things, big fun. Been thinking about buckets as, perhaps, my only chance to actually "race". Now that we have groms I'm thinking about clandestine car park GP's. The smallest bike I own, 10hp, is the most fun and frustrating. It punishes bad technique mercilessly.

Good post, damned fine sense of reality.
    Manopausal.

I rode a C50 for 7 years, everyday was race day, pushing hard up and over Seaview Rd, part of the old TT course. In the '70's I had an M20...13hp to push a 425 lb bike - I learned to never back off, never lose momenteun, just keep it nailed all the time. Now I've got my Stornello 160 back on the road again...same thing, red line everywhere and just keep that throttle wide open. It's so much fun on a small bike.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Obsolete ones.

Ahh, brings back memories of my first bike, a restricted, 12hp KMX 125. I used to fold the mirrors back and hang on to the left fork leg trying to hit 60mph, downhill with a tail wind. Never back off for a corner!
    Then I de-restricted it and tasted hedge. Great times.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information