Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How loud is your bike?

Bike
    2015 KTM200XC

How loud is your bike?

Hi guys
    I'm sure theres been threads about this before (I have looked but not managed to find any really)
    soooooo... how loud is your bike? what pipe do you run/recommend? is there such a thing as too loud? do loud pipes really save lives, or just give you a headache?

*sits back, waits*
    WESTIE CHICKS ROCK

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Loud pipes do not save lives, all those bikers who have been killed on the road prior to today will attest to that. I asked the question years ago about what pipe to run on a Triple and Big Dave suggested a Neptune, I went with it and also put one on my next bike, a CB 1300 ... sounded great. I didn't bother with the GSX1250FA they were fine. My Tiger had the stock pipe on it and it was fine, so I left it. I had a GYTR on an FZ8 (the stock pipe weighed as much as a pillion) I had a shorty put on it before taking home and had that changed the next day, hated the shorty. There are after market stainless pipes on my GSX. For me it is just a case of hearing the bike above anything else.

Summary: I don't seem that bothered unless I can't hear the bike.

The FZ8 with the shorty and the GYTR.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	912.5 KB 
ID:	324545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	923.9 KB 
ID:	324550   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	845.5 KB 
ID:	324551  

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Stock and quiet,I hate noise in my old age !
    Wear ear plugs all the time too. Stealth mode,that's me.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    S1000RR

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    I'm 100% positive that this will be a productive and amiable discussion between the good folks at KB.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    quite like the stock muffler on my Tiger....its nice and quite. My mates expect me to swap it out for something more befitting the growwwwl of big cat but meh.....dunno. The Arrow'd scrambler I ride with sounds awesome at idle but waaay loud round the neighbourhood at higher rpm, good for frightening wandering sheep so that's a safety feature spose
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    loud is very unpleasant for any and everybody....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    The C**t.
    Years ago i'd just run headers with a plate for back pressure or a gutted can... sounds amazing...

Then i grew up and got old.... just an aftermarket muffler is loud enough and lets the bike breathe a bit, naturally aspirated motors love back pressure so often you do more harm than good if you don't know what you're doing, need to remap or rejet to make the most of it.

Loud pipes typically just make it sound like you are going like a bat out of hell when you arn't, and your neighbours will hate you when you return from a ride at 4am. It's really nice to be able to head out at 1 or 2 in the morning without waking up the entire street/ waking up the farmers who have to be up at 5am as you go through the backroads.

I wear ear plugs primarily for wind noise, that and i'm anti-social and when people try talk to me its "sorry i have earplugs in"
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    quite like the stock muffler on my Tiger....its nice and quite. My mates expect me to swap it out for something more befitting the growwwwl of big cat but meh.....dunno. The Arrow'd scrambler I ride with sounds awesome at idle but waaay loud round the neighbourhood at higher rpm, good for frightening wandering sheep so that's a safety feature spose
    I just unzip, that usually gets their attention.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    2015 KTM200XC
    ok, interesting - thanks for all the feedback. My bike was super quiet, & I didn't really like it. My husband just fitted a Yoshi on it yesterday & now it is obnoxiously loud, I'm in two minds about it. I will deffo be getting some earplugs & I don't give a flying fuck about my neighbours, but when I went for a ride yesterday, the difference in the cars being able to hear me was significant - I did like that.
    Driving past Mr Policeman tho, put the shits up me...... lol I'm such a chicken shit
    WESTIE CHICKS ROCK

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    You might be able to get a Db killer insert for the Yoshi can. My bike came with a full aftermarket system and it was LOUD. Ridiculously so. The engine also popped and farted on the over run and hunted all over the place at idle.

Since I was going to be staying near a hospital for a while I purchased an insert. The bike is quieter now, maybe too much so, but the spits, pops and hunting are all cured. The part I bought only cost maybe $35.00 but the freight ex Italy was about $120 so I'll stay with what I have.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    A couple of years back I rode an old Jawa that had two straight pipes, it was 110 dB at idle. I didn't enjoy riding it, I reckon it caused some permament hearing loss... after the first ride I put some Steelo's in the exhaust, it was still excessive.

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by buffstar View Post
    ok, interesting - thanks for all the feedback. My bike was super quiet, & I didn't really like it. My husband just fitted a Yoshi on it yesterday & now it is obnoxiously loud, I'm in two minds about it. I will deffo be getting some earplugs & I don't give a flying fuck about my neighbours, but when I went for a ride yesterday, the difference in the cars being able to hear me was significant - I did like that.
    Driving past Mr Policeman tho, put the shits up me...... lol I'm such a chicken shit
    pull the clutch in and put 2k rev on

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    You might be able to get a Db killer insert for the Yoshi can. My bike came with a full aftermarket system and it was LOUD. Ridiculously so. The engine also popped and farted on the over run and hunted all over the place at idle.

Since I was going to be staying near a hospital for a while I purchased an insert. The bike is quieter now, maybe too much so, but the spits, pops and hunting are all cured. The part I bought only cost maybe $35.00 but the freight ex Italy was about $120 so I'll stay with what I have.
    Take away all the back pressure it'll run lean as hell. hence the popping and hunting.

Bike
    2015 KTM200XC
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

errrm not being mechanically minded: is that the little cylinder thingy that's slots into the muffler?
    WESTIE CHICKS ROCK

Thread Information