Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smooth Bore Carbs staying open how to get them to close faster

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    that's what the women up there call him after he did community service ironing their clothes.....
    As long as they don't call me late for dinner or make me burn my Y fronts in solidarity.

I'd be interested to see how the average back / butt / wrists would be feeling after my week on the Blade let alone this bike (the clutch is a little heavy too but I don't use it much it is fine).

There is a lot of splitting and highway in my day so you are constantly changing speed or sitting at very specific speeds. Having really precise throttle requirements on the blade was an issue initially but I got use to that so perhaps I will harden up (I'm riding that Kat bike regardless it is after all my dream bike).

There is always a possible GSX-R engine conversion...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post

There is always a possible GSX-R engine conversion...
    You've already got the best engine Suzuki ever made...

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    When did he put a K5 GSXR1000 motor in? I didn't read that post.

Bike
    suzuki
    Fly by wire conversion? On a standard carb it would seem simpler than fuel injection.

Are there ways to make is easier generally? I like those carbs but I'm not sure I could really live with it all week they are really heavy. Even then they don't shut off. Am I hoping to much for something that is essentially a racing setup..
    have you factored in the extra cost of motion lotion, those things like to drink

Bike
    suzuki
    it's a gsx not a gs.....

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    When did he put a K5 GSXR1000 motor in? I didn't read that post.
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    it's a gsx not a gs.....
    It's an 1135 - to get comparable torque Suzuki went to the Hayabusa....
    If you've ever ridden a properly set up 1135 you'll know what I mean.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    It's an 1135 - to get comparable torque Suzuki went to the Hayabusa....
    If you've ever ridden a properly set up 1135 you'll know what I mean.
    And in 2005 the gixxer trumped all. At least I thought it did. Actually falls short I now see after a bit of searching. As you were.

Bike
    2008 R6
    Probably not this but just thought I'd mention it. You say it isn't a sticky throttle - fair enough, it doesn't sound like it.

I had a sticky throttle.... the butterfly valve for the air intake was sticking to the wall of the chamber when in a closed position. The previous owner kept the bike in a cement/mortar shop. Anyway - i cleaned up the air intake/valve and it worked nicely ever since. I DON'T see the valve sticking in the open position unless things are super dirty in there.... but just a thought.

Bike
    The C**t.
    It's too lean.

Put an airbox on it or you're going to have to spend some time with a jet kit a a vacuum balancer and reading spark plugs...

Or pay,,, uhhh 90 an hour they want now to do anything on a bike at these shops... i laugh and go nah i'll just do it myself.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarko View Post
    It's too lean.

Put an airbox on it or you're going to have to spend some time with a jet kit a a vacuum balancer and reading spark plugs...
    Ain't necessarily so...The way the 33 smoothbores are set up, if the pilot is too big - ie running rich at part throttle - when the slide slams down, the closed throttle vacuum can pull a slug of fuel up the pilot progression holes - and it feels like it's not shutting the throttle.
    They work best either with open bellmouths or the good oval K&N's.
    Luckily, once the pilot is close it's possible to get them acceptable using the mixture screws - just don't expect a superb idle. They're race carbs.

Bike
    Ain't necessarily so...The way the 33 smoothbores are set up, if the pilot is too big - ie running rich at part throttle - when the slide slams down, the closed throttle vacuum can pull a slug of fuel up the pilot progression holes - and it feels like it's not shutting the throttle.
    They work best either with open bellmouths or the good oval K&N's.
    Luckily, once the pilot is close it's possible to get them acceptable using the mixture screws - just don't expect a superb idle. They're race carbs.
    Great posts. Yes that engine is great. It is so much more than the standard Kat (though it may not be what it should it seems to run fine and just does not have the stick from all areas like the 1135 does). I don't mind the idle it is functional enough, I actually like that race carb feel to it.

They have been stripped and will get a good look over. The floats where a little crushed and are being unsoldered, sorted, soldered so perhaps that is part of it (I have image of how they are). So pressure in there crushed them at some point perhaps.

I wish I had the time and skills to go further myself and I might well gain both at some point. I'm so looking forward to getting it back. The Fireblade is nice and all I just love riding the machine. I've had no change to measure the rate of fuel for general travel so be interesting to see that over time.

On the 1135 should it get a lead additive do you think? Would that be the case for the standard GSX1100E also? I think I was adding it when it was running previously (been a year or more since it was on the road).

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    Probably not this but just thought I'd mention it. You say it isn't a sticky throttle - fair enough, it doesn't sound like it.

I had a sticky throttle.... the butterfly valve for the air intake was sticking to the wall of the chamber when in a closed position. The previous owner kept the bike in a cement/mortar shop. Anyway - i cleaned up the air intake/valve and it worked nicely ever since. I DON'T see the valve sticking in the open position unless things are super dirty in there.... but just a thought.
    It is definitely getting a clean, not used much for a good while. Only did 1500kms since it was built back in 2006 (but carbs rebuilt at that time).

Bike
    suzuki
    So pressure in there crushed them at some point perhaps.
    more like bad handling, if the fuel pressure was enough to crush them you'd have a bomb on your hands

Thread Information