Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre recommendations for front?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarko View Post

The way i see it tyres are your life on a bike.

Yet you have come on here telling us of your severely fucked front tyre and budget rear?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Do the same combo on a Hornet and you speed the steering up nicely.

Agree - I ran a Conti Sport Attack front and Conti Road Attack rear after being recommended this combo some years back by a local tyre guru on my GS1200ss. Worked a treat on a relatively heavy bike.

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Yet you have come on here telling us of your severely fucked front tyre and budget rear?
    On a bike i've just bought... rode 5km and replaced the rear.

The front is good enough however it is out of shape due to the wear on it.

Hence i'm doing something about it and asking which tyre people think is best for the application so i can change it.

Nothing wrong with the shinko rear at all either the reviews sing praises from everybody apart from their wear rate, hence i bought one to try.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

A less charitable soul than me might conclude that the sharper profile of the sport tyres should be filed under the heading of wank factor.
    I like V tyres and I wear them out evenly across the tyre because I don't commute or tour just a few hours on the weekend.
    Maybe race riders are harder on the throttle all the time so cant afford to have a smaller contact patch when bike is upright.
    That's why they have options for different people.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    I always go for ex race tyres or cheap deals so i have been through a fair few number of tyres and have had a chance to try out most new tyres.

The best sports tyres i have tried (in no particular order):
    Pirelli Rosso IIs - Now Rosso IIIs
    Dunlop Sportsmart2s
    Bridgestone S20 Evo - Now S21

All of those are good tyres and will out perform most sports riders, and they all have duel compounds so you can get reasonable milage out of the centers.

Typically every hypersport tyre i have tried i have liked but these will be in order:
    Michelin Power Cups
    Bridgestone RS10s
    Dunlop Q3s
    Pirelli Supercorsa SC# and Metzler Racetec RR K# are tied.
    I havent tried supercorsa SPs but they are the same as the SC# but with road focused compounds.

Bike
    my little pony
    Yep, righto Rossi.
    After 22 brass monkeys via west coast return I know more about rain and ice than if I were to ride round to local 24/7 for a packet of fags.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarko View Post
    On a bike i've just bought... rode 5km and replaced the rear.

The front is good enough however it is out of shape due to the wear on it.
    Fucked then. Good to get the entire story. Maybe slow down a bit too!!!!

My Ducati came with Rosso Corsas standard - very sticky.

I've replaced the rear with a Rosso II - very sticky (I can;t tell the difference) the Rosso III is out now and even better. That will go on the front when that wears. Light bike though compared to yours.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    I havent tried supercorsa SPs but they are the same as the SC# but with road focused compounds.
    You should try them. I am never putting anything else on my MV until they revise them.
    Funny thing is I am 3.5tho in on a set that still have 60% tread left. I didn't expect them to reach 2tho with the amount of traction they have.
    They likely are not great in the wet but neither is my electrics.

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Fucked then. Good to get the entire story. Maybe slow down a bit too!!!!

I'd already said all that
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    After 22 brass monkeys via west coast return I know more about rain and ice than if I were to ride round to local 24/7 for a packet of fags.
    Burt munro in seven weeks, same tyres, same road, different temperatures, different experience, oh did I mention same tyres.

Bike
    my little pony
    [QUOTE=pritch;1131003607]
    Do the same combo on a Hornet and you speed the steering up nicely.[/QUOTE

A few years back BIKE mag in one of their tyre tests interviewed a Michelin engineer. Their testing had indicated that the various Michelin tyres under test had different profiles. The answer was that yes, the profiles were indeed different. The sports tyres had a sharper profile than the sport touring tyres because the sports bike riders wanted quick steering. Funny thing was that the racing tyres are rounder profile because the racers want precision and consistency.

A less charitable soul than me might conclude that the sharper profile of the sport tyres should be filed under the heading of wank factor.
    The external diameter of both hoops also differs which can raise or lower the steering angle , which some may like, or dislike.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    You should try them. I am never putting anything else on my MV until they revise them.
    Funny thing is I am 3.5tho in on a set that still have 60% tread left. I didn't expect them to reach 2tho with the amount of traction they have.
    They likely are not great in the wet but neither is my electrics.
    Interesting. Have just had an S20 put on the front of the SDR, will see how that goes for a couple of weeks before I commit to an S20 for the back.

SDR electrics are an absolute hoot in the wet, you can abuse the fuck out of it and it just twitches slightly and carries on.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Interesting. Have just had an S20 put on the front of the SDR, will see how that goes for a couple of weeks before I commit to an S20 for the back.

SDR electrics are an absolute hoot in the wet, you can abuse the fuck out of it and it just twitches slightly and carries on.
    Well gee wizz mr fancy pants and here i am with carbies and a twisting wrist while you ride an iBike...

doesn't it get boring with the assists?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries

Its not the traction control etc its the whole electrics lol. My headlight got water inside after its first wet ride. My new headlight seems ok so far.
    I really just don't tend to wet ride the MV. I was riding the bandit if it was wet. Hopefully ill have the bandit replacement sorted later this week.

Funny thing is the bandit had a half worn conti motion front which is very budget and never got very warm but it still was ok in the rain even with the rear end very loaded for the cold kiwi last year. Might be im slow rider though.
    Was the Kiwi a mud bath again this year?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150905_103654.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	799.3 KB 
ID:	324751  

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Had them out in the wet Drew?
    Yeah mate. Really good, lots of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    A few years back BIKE mag in one of their tyre tests interviewed a Michelin engineer. Their testing had indicated that the various Michelin tyres under test had different profiles. The answer was that yes, the profiles were indeed different. The sports tyres had a sharper profile than the sport touring tyres because the sports bike riders wanted quick steering. Funny thing was that the racing tyres are rounder profile because the racers want precision and consistency.

The less charitable soul in you isn't taking everything into account. Road versus track. Bike. Pace.

Bottom line, you can't judge what anyone else is running based on your perception or experience.

Interesting that you say the Michie tech reckons race rubber is a rounder profile, because the Pilot Race is the steepest front tyre I've ever had on one of my bikes.

Thread Information