Thread: Any decent books on bike touring in New Zealand out there?

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2

Any decent books on bike touring in New Zealand out there?

The title says it all really. I'm after a good book on good touring rides in NZ. A mix of tarmac / adventure would be ideal, 100% tarmac good too. Must be currently in shops / available online.

Anyone got any recommendations? It's not for me - birthday present for a friend

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    The title says it all really. I'm after a good book on good touring rides in NZ. A mix of tarmac / adventure would be ideal, 100% tarmac good too. Must be currently in shops / available online.

Anyone got any recommendations? It's not for me - birthday present for a friend
    Great escapes is the only book touring NZ I have read but its got to be 15 years old now.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Someone put out a NZ motorcycling road book ten years or so back. Hema maps I think. New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas. Not seen one for a while - very limited market - maybe try TM?

Or

http://www.mcycle.co.nz/books.htm

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Someone put out a NZ motorcycling road book ten years or so back. Hema maps I think. New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas. Not seen one for a while - very limited market - maybe try TM?

Or

Thanks mate - either Great Escapes or the Atlas look perfect! I'll have to chase up where to get them from.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Thanks mate - either Great Escapes or the Atlas look perfect! I'll have to chase up where to get them from.
    As long as your aware they both a bit dated now and some the gravel roads might be sealed.
    They do have some great roads you wouldn't ride unless someone told you they were there.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2014 BMW G650GS

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

Or

Have come across all three books listed in this thread, and been lucky enough to purchase a copy of each. The first two (NZ Motorcycle Atlas, ISBN 13:978-1-877302-32-9 and Great Escapes, ISBN 1-877135-45-3) were written by Peter Mitchell quite a few years ago, while the last (Twisting Throttle NZ; ISBN 978-1-86950-978-1) was written by the late Mike Hyde. The Motorcycle Atlas is a mixture of Atlas and suggested rides, while the other are more focused on suggested rides. All good reading. The Motorcycle Atlas has had a second edition printed, but when I tried to get another copy last year, the HEMA agent in Auckland and the sales manager in Sydney said that they had no intention of doing any more reprints of the NZ Atlas (though they have done so for the Australian Atlas). I was fortunate enough that one of the other KB riders was prepared to sell me his copy which was in pristine condition. You might be lucky to find a copy of the other books online, though my guess is that the Twisted Throttle book may not be reprinted. Good luck with your search. Cheers.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Thanks guys - it turns out that Fishpond had copies of Twisting Throttle for order, via the USA. I dropped a line to whoever is on the other end of Peter Mitchell's web site, via the form, but haven't heard back yet... I'm already a bit late so went ahead and ordered Twisting Throttle.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    If you do want adventure routes (ie, not sealed), then RemoteMoto (paid) for the South Island and Adventure Riding NZ (free) for the North Island. Both are KB'ers and both have some crossover between islands but biased to the island they live in, which is logical...

Both may have some sealed roads, but they are biased to adventure riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2008 BMW K1200S
    I have Twisted Throttle and it's a good read and shows you what you need to know. Good luck finding the NZ motorcycle atlas. I tried last year and the only one I could find was second hand and they wanted something like $300

Bike
    suzuki
    i have a copy of the nz m/c atlas, in new condition and am in lower hutt if you're keen?

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i have a copy of the nz m/c atlas, in new condition and am in lower hutt if you're keen?
    Oo - deffo. PM on its way.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    +1 on Mike Hyde's book, a really entertaining and informative read. I have taken it with me on a couple of trips.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Thanks again Jellywrestler, the Atlas has been received well!

Bike
    2013 DL650A V-Strom McCruise Added
    Wow , I ordered Twisting Throttle New Zealand thru Fishpond & it arrived today .
    I've already got the NZ Motorcycle Atlas but Twisting Throttle is a f***in awesome book and in a different ballpark .
    The photos are amazing & the whole book is incredibly well put together .
    A shame Mike Hyde passed away so young , he was incredibly talented .

I would definitely recomend this book for anyone wanting to travel around NZ by motorcycle

Thread Information