Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New to riding

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    I'd be more looking at sufficient power rating to enable get to 100- 120 than reaching it, so you can keep up in normal traffic conditions (and pass if needed) safely.
    Stuck behind a truck, or stuck in front of a truck holding it up on a gutless wonder wouldn't be a comfy place to be, jus sayin.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    That GZ250 seems alright from the description, low ks and suzuki is a fairly reliable make although these are probably made in China now.

It'll do you for a year or so, until you decide to upgrade to a bigger bike or a car.

Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    I'd be more looking at sufficient power rating to enable get to 100- 120 than reaching it, so you can keep up in normal traffic conditions (and pass if needed) safely.
    Stuck behind a truck, or stuck in front of a truck holding it up on a gutless wonder wouldn't be a comfy place to be, jus sayin.
    Sadly the Yammie XSR700 is out of his price range, but it's a nice retro styled bike for LAMS riders with $$$.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by MaizeD View Post
    Yeah IKR thats what got me wanting it, its from a dealer ship aswell so maybe i can trust that its not poorly built? on the GZ the speed goes only up to 80 but on the GN it goes to 160

Ive also got another option which is the hyosung 250 http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1187721063.htm
    Think you'll find its 80mph and 160km's.
    The GN wont do 160, not anywhere near close... 130ish is about it. Cruising at 100? My ex has a GN. it will do 100km, but if you peg it back to 90, you can hear and feel the motor is more 'relaxed'.
    Go for the GZ over the bobber...... the bobber is modified {not alowed as a learner} and you cannot be sure how well the frame chopping etc has been done.

Hyo's early on had some build issues {reliability} but really they are vastly improved with later models.... A lot faster than, more sporting riding position than the GN, but really the GN/GX is an excellent learner machine, forgiving, robust, and easily ridden.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Yes, in Auckland you can park in a car park (and you have to pay like a regular car). You can also use motorcycle parks: https://at.govt.nz/driving-parking/m...ooter-parking/ and there is a link to a map of the parking locations.

Be aware that not all councils permit it, eg, Wellington I believe still doesn't let motorcycles park in car parks.

Be aware the licence plate on that bobber has been cut down, making it illegal. For a learner bike I'd go for an unmolested one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaizeD View Post
    speed limit in NZ like how motorway is 100, id need one that can stay at 100 for 10-15mins as ill be driving to work through the motorway
    in auckland.
    must be fucking trolling.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    in auckland.
    must be fucking trolling.
    Azkle, putting the t in front of rolling since ages ago.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    bandit
    Yes, park in car spaces. make sure you feed the meter otherwise you get a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Boob Johnson View Post
    Firstly...

A) A GN250 is a right of passage
    A GN is a piece of shit that should never be allowed.

B) If you didn't learn on a GN250 you aren't really a "kiwi biker" (true story!!!)
    Bullshit ...

C) You can park anywhere, just don't be "THAT GUY" that takes an entire car park ffs!
    That's the legal way to park ..

D) I park on the line in between car parks (with nose pointing towards the road) so I don't actually take a park
    If either of the cars have not fed the parking meter you can be fined too ..

F) Welcome to Kiwibiker!

Yeah .. just be careful about who you take advice from .
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Yeah .. just be careful about who you take advice from .
    whys that?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Azkle, putting the t in front of rolling since ages ago.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Be aware that not all councils permit it, eg, Wellington I believe still doesn't let motorcycles park in car parks.
    For reason that we cant display the pay n display ticket. But we can use old meter style. I think there is a few left somewhere.
    More likely our meter maids are not bright enough to see a flappy piece of paper under a passenger strap.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    gsx250
    Quote Originally Posted by Boob Johnson View Post
    I wouldn't touch an 8yr old Hyosung, nor would I touch that Megeli thing (never heard of it). Stick to reliable Jap bikes.

GZ250 to just 80km/h??? That doesn't seem right
    I would get that hyosung checked out first but I haven't had any serious issues with mine. A brake micro switch which cost 35 bucks and that's it. The battery was my fault.

I'll agree about the Chinese bike though.

Bike
    Hornet 599
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    Have people who say this ever ridden a 250? Even my fxr 150 didn't have problem keeping up or overtaking anywhere in Auckland. Sure I had trouble overtaking cars who go 80k and then 120 on straights, but then again I don't think many will do the coro loop on a gn 250. A GN will go just as fast as a 1800cc car and not many people will say they're unsafe to drive.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    If you read the thing properly, you'll see that 250cc bikes are all lams, with a few specific exceptions.

Basically, if it's not an excluded 250, do what ya like as long as it's not structural or more than 15% power increase. Same as it used to be.
    taken from the nzta website

If you modify your motorcycle, it may not be approved

Any motorcycle modified in a way that increases or decreases its power-to-weight ratio is no longer LAMS-compliant, regardless of whether it appears on the list.

If you are a rider on a learner or restricted motorcycle licence, it is your responsibility to ensure you are riding a LAMS-approved motorcycle, as produced by the manufacturer. If in doubt, seek confirmation from the manufacturer's agent or dealership. If you are unsure who to contact, details for all major motorcycle importers are available on the Motor Industry Association website (external link) .

If you don't follow these rules you may end up with fines and demerit points.

i see nothing in here about 15% and making a boober appears to me to alter the power to weight ratio, now i agree probably not by much but Personally i would not recomend a Noob learn to ride on a shitty bobber that will handle like a piece of shit, yes we did dumb shit in our younger days and got away with it but there was a whole lot less traffic on our roads back then

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonno. View Post
    Have people who say this ever ridden a 250? Even my fxr 150 didn't have problem keeping up or overtaking anywhere in Auckland. Sure I had trouble overtaking cars who go 80k and then 120 on straights, but then again I don't think many will do the coro loop on a gn 250. A GN will go just as fast as a 1800cc car and not many people will say they're unsafe to drive.
    yup and yup and some of us even ride in other parts of the country than auckland, and a 250 will do the coro loop as well but try and get past a dirty old stock truck on a shitty day on a 250 or your fxr and you might find them more than a little under powered, you must only have driven really fucked 1800cc cars because i dont know of any that i have driven that a gn250 or even your fxr150 would keep up with if the lead gets added.
    a lot on here who are older had to start on bikes 250 or less.

Thread Information