Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Steve had an off

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50

Old Steve had an off

7.20 am Monday morning, riding down the LH T3 lane in Onewa Rd, no-one else in the T3 lane apart from a bike about 50 metres ahead, traffic stopped in the RH normal traffic lane, road dry. Came up to a side street on my left with "Keep Clear" lines painted on the road and a taxi coming towards me swung right through a gap in the stopped traffic and, without slowing to check, started to cross the T3 lane. It came from the behind a stopped SUV in the normal lane so I didn't see it until it entered the clear T3 lane.

It braked and came to a stop with it's nose about 2/3 - 3/4 across the T 3lane. I braked but decided that I'd hit the taxi so released the brakes and steered hard to the left to go around the front of it. I must've dragged my foot pedal or something because I low sided the bike, the bike skidded across in front of the taxi (I must have made the right decision?) and I slid across the front of the taxi, across the side road and into the gutter.

Rearward dislocated shoulder (and aren't they painful), bruised ribs, bruises on the hip, left hand and elbows. The gear did it's job, left boot worn through the leather and the steel cap had wear marks on it, elbow of my jacket has a small hole worn through it about the size of a $2 coin, knee of my trousers ripped but no damage to me down there, and scratches on the left hand side of the helmet and helmet visor. It wasn't until it arrived in the gutter that any damage was done to me, it'd been sliding on my front but my right shoulder hit the gutter and flipped me over onto my back and I guess that's when it was dislocated.

Ambulance ride to hospital, seven hour wait until I could have general anaesthetic to relocate my shoulder (why did I have breakfast, they won't give you a general anaesthetic until 6 hours after you've eaten), and home by 7.30 pm.

But the thing that really P*##ed me off was that the taxi driver pulled in to the side street, pulled into a driveway and sat in his car for about 5 minutes, then drove off. The wonderful people who were looking after me grabbed their phone and took a photo of the number plate and gave it to the police.

Not too much damage to the bike, new clutch level, new topbox and saddlebags, new headlight surround, new helmet, and I'll have to keep my arm in a sling for two weeks.

But, could have been worse.

Cautious rider who will be even more cautious in future.

Bike
    bandit
    Glad you are still around - and will recover.
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery...

and smite to the taxi driver...

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Read the title and immediately thought Katman had caught a splinter on the way down off his high horse.

Bike
    gsx250
    You should get a dash cam. I'm saving up for one for Christmas at the moment. Well worth the money when you're in an accident.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Bike
    CB1300
    Great to hear you're still with us and fundamentally ok.
    Good luck for the recovery on the injuries.

Sadly because you didn't hit him it will go down as a single vehicle crash, if you get the wrong officers you might even get the blame.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    And be more aware of gaps in the traffic.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    So sorry to read this and thanks for sharing. I know that road really well and used to ride that way to the city, on a daily basis.

I have had similar scenarios and ABS has saved me more than once.

I guess I was luckier than you asnd riding a high bike is a big plus.

Heal up soon and get back on that horse asap.
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Sorry to read and get well soon.

But Congratulations and top marks in accepting you still had choices in that situation and made a decision that has probably undoubtledly saved you from worse injury.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Glad to hear about this and sorry your OK...

(but no, actually, even I am not that much of a cunt.)

but yeah nah. I dont envy you riding in dorkland, but if you're blatting up the inside, you can fairly well expect morons from every direction (liek... status quo) and this was hardly unforseeable.

just as learning notes, what would you do next time?
    your "caution" obviously didn't work,
    so what changes are you going to make, to avoid being the meat in a taxi-pavement sandwhich?

Quote Originally Posted by jafagsx250 View Post
    You should get a dash cam. I'm saving up for one for Christmas at the moment. Well worth the money when you're in an accident.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    why, so you can watch yourself get mashed on replay? or they can play it at your self-righteous, sanctimonious arse funeral?

Bike
    z800
    Hope you have a speedy recovery with ya shoulder and are back on the bike soon.

One question in regards to your incident

Do you think your style of bike had a part in you coming off when you had to turn sharply?

Bike
    2008 R6
    To the taxi driver:

Seriously though - Glad to hear you are mostly ok!

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Heal well, take the time to work this one out. Make sure the Police prosecute this bloody cabbie, say thank you to those who took the photo and who helped you, Katman is right, not that it helps now, but ride with both eyes open next time , please.Go do a course or two on avoidance, you probably could have out turned and avoided this fucker, not saying you didn't try, just really, go learn your limits so next time you come out still on two wheels and having missed the prick.Ride on young man, ride on.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I had pretty much the same accident in 2012. I focused on what a 4wd was up to ahead. I wasnt scanning enough and he got me from the side. Drivers fault but I should have seen him coming.

Went to claims court as my insurance company wanted money back from the unemployed and uninsured little indian guy. He tried to argue it was my fault, I was speeding and I should have been just let him through. Its my understanding he is still paying the insurance company back at $5 a week and will be for years.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I'm struggling to figure out how some of you are automatically placing the blame on the taxi driver.

If there was a gap in the traffic and he was being let through, there is nothing in the original post that says he did so without due diligence.

If the OP wasn't able to see the taxi driver, why would you assume that the taxi driver was able to see him?

Thread Information