Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Legal to Ride on Car License Over 125cc

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Agree about doing the learn to ride a bike and get a 6F licence in time - whether you ride a 150cc scooter or a 1800cc cruiser: do the training and ride safe...
    It's about (his) personal choice. Knowledge is power ... and this thread may help with his choice.

My advice would be for him to do the sums ... but money may not be his bottom line. Simply (his) personal preference.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Essentially, the most clarity you're going to get is around registration. If it's registered as a car, then you need a Class 1 on your Drivers licence. If it's a bike, then you need a Class 6.
    Not even then ...

A Motorcycle dealer is selling Piaggio's in the motorcycle section of Trademe ... and stating they can be ridden on a car license ... ???

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1209439481.htm
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Canadian Red Back
    Even though some ...cars... are ridden as motorcycle and require a car licence to be legal, from my experience I would not like to take on one those vehicles without at the very least having a full motorcycle licence (implies a certain level of experance) because since changing to a Spyder my bikers radar (the want if factor) has enabled me to avoid some unpleasantness and hospital time.

just because you ride a car does not mean you avoid the SMIDSY

Bike
    2003 suzuki gsxr1000
    what a fucked up country,how the fuck do those 3 wheeled things pass as a car?so legally you could be ticketed for riding your tricycle in a buslane approved for motorcycles and get parking tickets for parking in a motorbike space(ive seen a canam ticketed for this and good job)
    Anyway, if your intent on getting one of these toddler three wheelers get the yamaha 125,ive been riding my 125 primary schoool two wheel scooter in the fast lane on aucklands motorways for a good 10 years and its adequate in light traffic and next to unbeatable in gridlock..
    Just dont hold the rest of us up trying to lanesplit/filter sitting there trying to decide whether your fucken two wheels will fit between the traffic or not

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    get learners licence - ride this, $1700 and it's yours! lane splitting machine, so thin and agile, perfect for motorway commute
    I have to agree. It would take so little cost and effort to get the learner's motorcycle license and then you open up a whole heap of options.
    I have no idea of why anyone would be so reluctant to go the easiest route.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    it does appear having a 3rd wheel can turn your bike into a car according to the NZTA. I must email them to find out if there is any logic behind it considering from an impact perspective they would come off just as bad as a bike.
    I think that might be the idea. Get as many of the people willing to ride one to get 'emselves killed on it. The fact they're riding them suggests theyve given up on life anyway...

Bike
    A
    Just stop faffing about, learn how to ride on two wheels and go thru the bike licence process...

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries
    OP! The Yamaha tricity is made for you. It rides like a bike, leans etc, but has enhanced stability and grip. It is ride on car license with Yamaha NZ fitting locally made front licence plate holder. The 125 is totally capable of an auckland commute, and it is remarkably cheap.
    Local rider has one and bought it to training day on go cart track. Surprised a few people! He find sit capable of motorway speed for short runs.
    If later you want a two wheeler fine, but these really are bikes with extra tyre grip and stability at slow speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stuff everything...I've always got my bike.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamarillo View Post
    ... Yamaha tricity is made for you. It rides like a bike, leans etc, but has enhanced stability and grip...
    I'd suggest that using the word "stability" gives the wrong impression of one of them - the Yamaha leans and so has the potential to be dropped like any other two-wheeler, whereas stability tends to give the impression that it is unlikely to do that...

stability - noun: stability: the state of being stable

I'd suggest it is better to describe the Yamaha as being more "surefooted" than a two-wheeler... it can still be dropped but the two front wheels are less likely to slide out on slippery road surfaces...

sure-footed - adjective: unlikely to stumble or slip

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    I'd suggest that using the word "stability" gives the wrong impression of one of them - the Yamaha leans and so has the potential to be dropped like any other two-wheeler, whereas stability tends to give the impression that it is unlikely to do that...

stability - noun: stability: the state of being stable

I'd suggest it is better to describe the Yamaha as being more "surefooted" than a two-wheeler... it can still be dropped but the two front wheels are less likely to slide out on slippery road surfaces...

sure-footed - adjective: unlikely to stumble or slip
    Pedantic ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stuff everything...I've always got my bike.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by tamarillo View Post
    Pedantic ?
    I think you meant pedant.

Thread Information