Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legal to Ride on Car License Over 125cc

Bike
    None

eek Legal to Ride on Car License Over 125cc

Am a complete noob to the biking world (always wanted to ride but ended up with a car), so please go easy on me lol.

I have been informed that there are some bikes that can be ridden using a car license which are above 50cc (i.e. Yamaha Tricity, Piaggio MP3, etc etc), however does anyone know if this rule only applies to trikes, or alike, which are registered as cars? I have been told that the Piaggio MP3 is considered a car if 300cc but the 400cc model is considered a bike/trike and requires bike licensing.

I am looking to obtain one of these for my sheety Auckland motorway commute, but obviously would not be seeking to do this without getting some standard bike training and becoming confident on one first. And yes I will be looking to getting a bike at some stage with full bike license but this is what I am aiming at now

I do not like the idea of anything below 200cc, does anyone know of where I might be able to get a full list of bike/trikes that can be ridden using a car license and are over 125cc? Information seems to be quite limited for these.

Bike
    S1000RR
    I heard "trikes" with two wheels in the front is considered a car.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Canadian Red Back
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    yep they are, this thread has more info

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Interesting question, I think the information is limited because the field is limited. I have never actually set eyes on one of the models you mention. The Can Am Spyder is the most common three wheeler but It would seem to have the disadvantages of a car and a bike without the advantages.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    None

eek

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Thanks for the link, but this seems a little conflicting as well. Reason I say this is the link states trikes under 1000kg can be registered as cars, however I have heard (could be BS), that the Piaggio MP3 400cc (and higher), cannot be registered as a car and only the 300cc (and below), can. This goes against the link info as the Piaggio is around the 255kg area.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Some yes, and some no from the information I have come across so far. Seems to be weight and cc driven as well which is adding to my confusion lol.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Interesting question, I think the information is limited because the field is limited. I have never actually set eyes on one of the models you mention. The Can Am Spyder is the most common three wheeler but It would seem to have the disadvantages of a car and a bike without the advantages.
    Yeah very much so, I think I total I have seen 3 small trikes around.

Yeah its a shame about the larger trikes like the Spyder, I don't really see the point to them but guess they appeal to some people. But good if you have disabilities/confidence issues/getting on in life and still want to ride.

Bike
    Canadian Red Back
    Quote Originally Posted by kil43 View Post
    Yeah very much so, I think I total I have seen 3 small trikes around.

Yeah its a shame about the larger trikes like the Spyder, I don't really see the point to them but guess they appeal to some people. But good if you have disabilities/confidence issues/getting on in life and still want to ride.
    the appeal for me is they allow me to ride despite of medical conditions.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    You would actually find a 50cc scooter easier to ride as a beginner as they are so much lighter to steer. I had a sit on a Piaggio MP3 once and moving the handle bars from side to side felt similar in weight to my big road bike due to the weight of the second wheel. I was going to demo it but the dealer could not find the key. Having a third wheel would be safer on a wet road but make not much difference as far as safety goes on dry roads.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately due to "I am looking to obtain one of these for my sheety Auckland motorway commute", a 50cc would not allow me to touch the motorway. Am quite appealed to the Yamaha Tricity ABS version (riding for noobs), but the 125cc on a motorway just doesn't seem to cut it properly. If it was 200cc or higher, it would be the one I would go for. Although is ugly as sin...

Bike
    gsx250
    Quote Originally Posted by kil43 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately due to "I am looking to obtain one of these for my sheety Auckland motorway commute", a 50cc would not allow me to touch the motorway. Am quite appealed to the Yamaha Tricity ABS version (riding for noobs), but the 125cc on a motorway just doesn't seem to cut it properly. If it was 200cc or higher, it would be the one I would go for. Although is ugly as sin...
    Just get a bike. I never look at scooters on trade me but I'd imagine the ones you've mentioned are expensive. If you are going to have the danger of a bike while riding a scooter you may as well have the fun of a bike. 250's aren't hard to ride or very heavy or very wide so are good for commuting.

Bike
    None
    ***New information update***

Apparently the manufacturer has to register it with 'Land Transport Safety Authority' as a car for them to be legal to ride on car license.

At this stage, this would be the Yamaha Tricity (all versions), Piaggio MP3 300cc and the Cam Am Spyder (although not sure in NZ for the last).

Know idea if this is correct or not though?

Bike
    gsx250
    Sounds like he does not want to get a motorbike license though which rules out a 250 bike.
    The bike license is expensive but worth it. It's not hard to get if you're not an idiot

Bike
    None
    Sounds like he does not want to get a motorbike license though which rules out a 250 bike.
    At this stage that is correct. Do want a bike but need to work up to it IMO.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by jafagsx250 View Post
    The bike license is expensive but worth it. It's not hard to get if you're not an idiot
    Lol, agreed and something I will def aim toward; at this stage though am just after a trike for commute. The Tricity is 4.5-5k new (inc road costs and GST). The Piaggio is very expensive though, so am on a second hand scout for that.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    get learners licence - ride this, $1700 and it's yours! lane splitting machine, so thin and agile, perfect for motorway commute

Thread Information