Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Luxon ?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    IÂ’m parking this here on Luxon rap sheet even though the planning prob started under previous regime. I almost expected the pro technology Nats to front this but not so soon.
    Hate to be right on this one but boom here it comes, reported on ONE news the digital driver licence app theyÂ’re looking for beta test volunteers.
    Right at same time the banks are making it easy for you to send money straight to someone elseÂ’s account via your phone. That will be convenient for the app to auto ticket and fine you with instant payment.
    And also on same timeline we have nationwide emergency access via Starlink.
    The fakebook article comments are tragic so many people think they will get away with refusing to comply. Interesting implications if you have to pass your phone unlocked to cop for him to view.
    No doubt insurance companies will be quick to follow and force you to instal an app that checks your licence 24/7 and monitors g force speeds etc.
    It will be sold as stopping unsafe drivers being on road (wasnÂ’t the last licence law change promising that)
    40 years on from 1984 novel and we prob surpassed the predictions.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    IÂ’m parking this here on Luxon rap sheet even though the planning prob started under previous regime. I almost expected the pro technology Nats to front this but not so soon.
    Hate to be right on this one but boom here it comes, reported on ONE news the digital driver licence app theyÂ’re looking for beta test volunteers.
    Right at same time the banks are making it easy for you to send money straight to someone elseÂ’s account via your phone. That will be convenient for the app to auto ticket and fine you with instant payment.
    And also on same timeline we have nationwide emergency access via Starlink.
    The fakebook article comments are tragic so many people think they will get away with refusing to comply. Interesting implications if you have to pass your phone unlocked to cop for him to view.
    No doubt insurance companies will be quick to follow and force you to instal an app that checks your licence 24/7 and monitors g force speeds etc.
    It will be sold as stopping unsafe drivers being on road (wasnÂ’t the last licence law change promising that)
    40 years on from 1984 novel and we prob surpassed the predictions.
    Wha if you don't have a mobile phone? Is that to become compulsory too?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Wha if you don't have a mobile phone? Is that to become compulsory too?
    By default I guess. It’s a terrible burden for the elderly to have an extra cost and a tool they might not understand plus it opens up risk of being scammed with how easy it is to click links.
    Especially given the average person just about never has to show cops their licence.
    My employers find all sorts of reasons to see it but it’s gotta be 10 years since a cop needed to see it.

The way technology is working the next thing will be compulsory dashcams with an internal facial recognition camera linked to licence app. This would really suck privacy wise but in the end could save more lives than wire barriers. Manufacturers are already working on fatigue detection software and this is the biggest killer out there I matter how good you think you are.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    Especially given the average person just about never has to show cops their licence.
    My employers find all sorts of reasons to see it but it’s gotta be 10 years since a cop needed to see it.
    I was stopped last week doing 61km in a 50km zone. The officer asked for my license but by the time I had got out of my helmet, gloves, head scarf, ear plugs he said not to worry as he had all my data....name, address, license status, and I am guessing the rego and WOF status of the bike as he didnt show any interest there.

$80 and twenty demerit points later I was feeling somewhat battered and bruised but it did give me a wake up call to respect the speed limit in urban areas.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    When he joked that 42 is the answer to the meaning of life, the universe and everything, Douglas Adams didn't see this coming. It's an even bigger joke than he knew.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 12.53.36 PM.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	303.6 KB 
ID:	354652  
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Right at same time the banks are making it easy for you to send money straight to someone elseÂ’s account via your phone.
    That's been around for years. I have the banks app on my phone but don't use it 'cause my fat fingers tend to get the password wrong. The keys on the laptop are a safer bet.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    That's been around for years. I have the banks app on my phone but don't use it 'cause my fat fingers tend to get the password wrong. The keys on the laptop are a safer bet.
    I'm pretty sure he means the 'handshake' function, where you put two phones near each other and transfer funds that way.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1/32 man View Post
    I was stopped last week doing 61km in a 50km zone. The officer asked for my license but by the time I had got out of my helmet, gloves, head scarf, ear plugs he said not to worry as he had all my data....name, address, license status, and I am guessing the rego and WOF status of the bike as he didnt show any interest there.

$80 and twenty demerit points later I was feeling somewhat battered and bruised but it did give me a wake up call to respect the speed limit in urban areas.
    Bugger bud, I always said I'd leave the job if they started making me write tickets.
    That was the MOT's job in my day. I was there to catch baddies !

(besides I'd be a bit of a Hypocrite the way I rode and drove as a youngster.)

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    I'm confused, I've been transferring money all over the show online for ages. The only new thing I could find on Google was that they're going to be doing the transfers 7 days a week now, instead of just on working days. (whoops, got the year wrong, this one's from last year)

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/05/23/n...nline-banking/

Then there's the 'Confirmation of Payee' system used in Europe which verifies the account details before a transfer goes through, which apparently significantly reduces the amount of fraudulent transactions. We don't have that yet (maybe because neither do the Aussies?) but they're looking to bring it in.

https://businessdesk.co.nz/sponsored...ransfers-safer

The headlong rush into putting everything online I would guess is based on the potential for savings while looking like you're achieving something, rather than any authoritarian tendencies among our pollies.

Those savings aren't always what they're cracked up to be. And it'll be much harder to sort out when something goes wrong.
    Last edited by nerrrd; 1st May 2024 at 20:45. Reason: I'm a year out of date (at least)...
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    I'm pretty sure he means the 'handshake' function, where you put two phones near each other and transfer funds that way.
    Oh dear, I hadn't even heard of that one. My bank didn't do paywave or Apple Pay last time I looked so I may not need to worry about that.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Turned off Paywave on my credit card when I accidentally paid for something with it while I was getting my EFTPOS card ready. Doubt if my $200 Nokia has it either.

So is the idea that someone can take money off you with a similar 'wave' without your permission? So the cop waves something at your phone and you instantly pay the fine? What'll they think of next...

Actually if you're not a fan of all this tech and want a good laugh, check out some reviews of the first couple of 'wearable' AI devices recently released, the Rabbit R1 and the Humane AI PIN. I think AI might be experiencing a bubble similar to the whole self driving cars thing...
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    My comment about the progress towards instant digital payments and ease of it is the threat it poses to those unable to navigate the risks associated be it the elderly or other mental disorders that are increasing.
    Also in the past at least you had some semblance of control making the buggers wait 28 days before you pay the fine lol.
    I say past as all this is progressing so fast and we have the generation of instant gratification/ordering/payment that won’t realise how it will diminish your chance at disputing a decision.
    A good example is speed cameras vs real cops. A significant amount of camera fines would just be a courteous roadside interaction for most people able to pass the attitude test.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    My comment about the progress towards instant digital payments and ease of it is the threat it poses to those unable to navigate the risks associated be it the elderly or other mental disorders that are increasing.
    The more these things 'evolve' the larger the group gets who are unable to navigate their way through life, for example trying to do something that requires a RealMe login.

It's also getting progressively more difficult to talk to a human person, which makes some things near impossible when the situation doesn't fit the generic online process, or at least means leaving the phone on speaker for an hour or two while on hold in the hope that it's eventually answered.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Thread Information