Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: MotoGP 2024

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I can answer some of it. The factory - Michelin - mandate a minimum pressure which is monitored by a sensor in the rim. You're allowed a certain no of laps under the minimum before it incurs a penalty. The teams set the start pressure such that once warmed it should be above the minimum. Getting it above is predicated on being able to load the tyre enough to raise it's temp and thus pressure. If it's a cold day or changeable conditions you may not be able to get it warm enough.
    This seems to be what's happened here.
    It's complicated by the tyre performance falling off when the pressure goes too high. The teams will always try to run the tyres at the lowest pressure possible as this gives the best performance and rider feedback.

The minimum pressure set by Michelin is what they're happy to see the tyre used at. The aero used now is generating quite high downforce and Michelin is worried that overloading a tyre which is not up to pressure could see it come off the rim.

My own opinion is that they could safely drop the minimum a tad - but I'm not a tyre engineer, just a user.
    I thought the whole tyre pressure thing was bought about by some sort of incident maybe at an early test day.It maybe involved one of the bigger riders.Just fishing here,as i say i cant remember what instigated it all

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Acosta has had a big crash at Turn 7 during warmup. He's OK but the bike and that air fence will need some work. Sounds like another damp patch.

Should they be racing if damp patches keep appearing like this?

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Thread Information