Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charging system - GSXR1000 K2

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i'm a sparky, you can get clips to operate the meter with no hands.
    Excellent suggestion, I shall go find myself a set of these!

Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    The good MOSFET R/Rs are made by Shindengen. There are heaps of chinese fakes on Amazon and AlilExpress, the opinion is if its around $US50 its going to be a fake. eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYxtCC330Xg

I have a Shindengen SH532-12 (shunt, not MOSFET) on the 1100G, not sure what it came off but it is genuine.
    Yeah if I end up replacing the reg/rec I definitely will not be going the cheap path. I've seen too many stories of people frying ecu's doing that,

Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    As I said I favour cutting the plug right out. The 3 yellow wires can go in any orientation . I cut the bullets off Japanese type bullet connectors and just use the crimp part with folding type crimp so like figure8 almost. Or you can order same thing double sided, for wire splicing but not common here. As I said, but worth repeating, preinsulated is trash and use a single prong punch for iffy connection.

You'll then get the odd zealot chip in and insist that solder is the best joint, which electrically it is, but not used much on automotive loom as the twist and flex plus subjected to vibration.
    Doing away with the plug makes sense, but I want to be able to disconnect it if I find the plug wasn't the issue. Yeah I could just cut it again I guess. A friend and I were discussing the lack of soldering on factory looms and he pointed out that they were the best electrical connection but suffer due to vibration etc on a vehicle.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    The wiring kit that came with new reg/rec included butt type crimp connectors inside heatshrink for the stator connections. Theyve done the job well for nearly 10 years now.

I have a ratchet type crimp tool that came with 6 interchangeable dies. It does a very nice job and I wish I'd bought it years ago.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I've bought two different ratchet type tools from far east but they never seem to work properly on my crimps so I keep going back to plain tool. Bit like this one, note the jaws, folds the tangs in like a sideways 8.
    https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I've bought two different ratchet type tools from far east but they never seem to work properly on my crimps so I keep going back to plain tool. Bit like this one, note the jaws, folds the tangs in like a sideways 8.
    https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I've had the same experience, so I bought this Toptul kit. It actually does a decent job of insulated terminals! Like most things, it is much more expensive than when I bought on special 3 years ago.

The one from RS looks good for the price.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...03cd295fce.jpg

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Work has several ratcheting tools but sadly not what I need if doing a project. My manual one has been used to rewire a project bike and several race bikes, but I always wanted a ratcheting one.

On the plus side I've saved quite a bit of money buying these two Aliexpress tools rather than an expensive one. I mean, if they worked properly I'd still be ahead wouldn't I?

I'm only about $80 in. Maybe the 3rd one will so multliblocks and the 4th larger Bullets?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I've just replaced a "temporary" earth cable on the R1. A couple of crimps done with the Toptul crimper - the wire was a bit small for the insulated connector but there are no red lugs in the box.

The photos aren't very sharp unfortunately.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2658c53a3c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e7d6ec9023.jpg

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Ooh. I have to be honest. Preinsulated is the work of Satan himself.
    Just sayin.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Update. Wired the plug from my other GSXR into the Lucky Strike bike and all back to normal. Between 13.8-14.4 at idle, around 14.5 at 5000rpm (manual says between 14-15v). An update is still planned.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Ooh. I have to be honest. Preinsulated is the work of Satan himself.
    Just sayin.
    I agree, but it's a solid crimp with the end of the insulated tube compressed onto the wire as strain relief. It will do until I can sort out an earth from the front loom back to the battery.

I need a better selection of crimp connectors. Maybe AliExpress?

Thread Information