Thread: Oggy knobs / Frame sliders

Bike
    Several old ones

Oggy knobs / Frame sliders

Has anyone had experience with frame sliders or oggy knobs saving their bike damage
    In other words, are the worth putting on your bike?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Great for low speed spills but can destroy frames with even a bit of speed if they catch a curb etc.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I had the big knobs on my Hornet 919 when I lowsided it at Levels and it slid across the track and onto the grass verge. The bolt holding the thing to the frame was bent and the nylon sacrificial part lost the top third of it's length. Because it was up by the tank - it was mounted on a head bolt the fuel tank was saved. The alternator cover got scuffed up to fuck though. It didnt save the gear lever, clutch lever or handlebar either. Having said that it was a road bike and looking nice is a thing - and the fuel tank would have been very expensive - also stuff like radiators etc.

My current bike (the Triumph) has Oggy knobs which were on it when I got it, and I put GB Racing exterior covers on it.

Touch wood I haven't had to test them.

So yeah, for a lowside/low speed thing they will likely help. Higher speed your bike's fucked anyway and I just hope you're OK.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    My 919 had them fitted and it was sold bungs untested.

The crash bung mounting system for the VFR was complicated (relatively expensive) and that made me consider that spending the money might only be helping the insurance company.

I hadn't got around to putting them on the Ducati when it got knocked over in the car park at work.

They are fitted to the Triumph.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I've seen fairings and other sticky out bits saved on bikes that have had a lie down when stopped or going very slowly

I have also seen bent frames that may or may not have been damaged if they weren't there, but there is usually other damage along with that so possibly no material effect on the outcome.

Probably useful for the 'forgot to put the sidestand down' type situation, to avoid the level of damage that's annoyingly just below warranting an insurance claim.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Several old ones
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I had the big knobs on my Hornet 919 when I lowsided it at Levels and it slid across the track and onto the grass verge. T
    So yeah, for a lowside/low speed thing they will likely help. Higher speed your bike's fucked anyway and I just hope you're OK.
    Hi
    Thinking that the frame sliders, which are bolted
    at three or four points on the engine and frame are more effective than the knobs?

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    the usefulness of crash bungs in general depends on the brand of bungs, the way theyre fitted and the model of the bike.

Some are known to smash engine casings, or snapping parts off frames.

I prefer to use protection on engine casings etc rather than the "crash bung" style protection

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    As said, generally good for soft low speed drops, not good for higher speed, big slides, or hard drops. I've seen crash bungs punch into the frame on hard drops. Ultimately, what are you trying to prevent against, it certainly isn't a magic saving genie.

Mainly coz I now have adv bikes, but I prefer proper crash bars. That said, the quality can vary, the CB919 has Givi crash bars (they weren't around long), but I've seen mates with givi bars where they've cracked after one or two drops. That said, did it save the bike extensive damage instead? Perhaps...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    The R1 had R&G crash protectors when I bought it, and they've certainly worked well in two low speed crashes. One thing I found out is that R&G will send you replacements for free in exchange for photos of the damaged ones!

Always fit them using the supplied bolts and DO NOT replace them with high tensile. One of the bolts was quite bent after the faster crash but the frame was fine.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    One thing I found out is that R&G will send you replacements for free in exchange for photos of the damaged ones!
    Thanks. I was unaware of that. Still, I hope not to need to avail myself of that service.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I've made a few for my racebikes with the primary purpose of not damaging the tracks we ran on, but limiting damage was a bonus.

My bikes were RS125 Honda gp based with no fairings (except on long tracks). I then underwent some substantial unintentional testing.
    I'd highly recommend if you have to crash , having a very skinny light bike is best.

This also meant bungs were super short and placement unhindered by ancillaries or aesthetic.

As well Slicks meant many would be crashes were ignored. Until you then have to pish that boundary as well.

I hope this post is entirely real world relevant to your application, as I'm sure it will be.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information