Thread: 2 Smoker exaust painting

Bike
    K3 SV1000S

2 Smoker exaust painting

I have just discovered a pin hole in my expansion chamber( seems like a welding fault) so am going to get it patched up and strip her back then slap a fresh coat of paint/powder coating on.

What have poeple done in the past/recommend for sanding/ stripping it back with and what sort of paint/coating looks good and lasts the distance. The bike was new in january and its already got surface rust all over the expansion chamber.

What say you?
    Party hard but keep it clean.
    Potzman

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    I would imagine it's coated in a high temp coating.
    You probably don't need to strip/sand the surface,as these paints stick like you wouldn't believe as long as the surface is degreased and the item is raised to the required temperature to cure the coating after painting.The header on a two stroke will get hot enough in use to do this,but I'm not sure about the rear of the pipe.
    VHT is one type of paint.
    POR15 do high quality manifold paints black velvet is good and doesn't go grey with age.
    www.por15.co.nz

Bike
    K3 SV1000S
    sweet that sounds good!

Yes it probably did/does have a high temp coating but most of it has rusted so i'm wanting to tidy it up.
    Potzman

Bike
    Huski TE250 "04
    when i did my pipe i just got some high temp black stuff for bbq's then just baked it by putting it near the heater for a while

Bike
    RC36, WR, RS250, GSXR1000, Duke250, IZH
    exact same problem I had with mine, the factory paint is crap.

I used a wire wheel and then p400 to take it all back to bare metal, then Hi-Temp black (a whole can) put it back on the bike (after a night) and go for a ride, lasted for the next 6 months that I had it, not a flake or speck of rust.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Best method is a proper high temp coating (HPC) but it costs heaps.

Second best is Hi Temp exhaust paint but it only comes in matt colours. There was a semi gloss clear coat (VHT) which was quite good but didn't really last.

Clean it up with sandpaper etc (fine) and get all the grease etc off with prepsol or petrol etc in a pinch. (wear rubber gloves from this point on)

Hang it up on a wire someplace where overspray and smell won't matter much. Make sure it's a warm day with no moisture or wind. Shake a can of VHT Hi temp exhaust paint. (note - NOT the engine block paint which IS availiable in gloss but only rated to 500 deg and is only barely OK for mufflers)

Shake it again...

And a bit more...

Leave it in the sun for 30 mins to warm up...

Shake it again...

And a bit more...

Spray .... Touch dry in 30 mins

Note - spray in sweeping strokes starting and ending away from the piece. Build up slowly. Lots of thin coats rather than a single cover everything coat. If the paint develops round thin spots it's got some imperfection on the surface and no amount of extra paint will cover it...

To kep it clean and black.. Wash it and while it's drying go to Mitre 10 and buy a bottle of stove black (used for keeping pot belly stoves black) and dab it on with a lit free rag and rub it in..

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    When I re-did my RZ chambers having failed with VHT a few times I got them dipped in a stripping bath (steady on perves ) so they were dead clean. Then tried some of that PJ1 paint (they have a few types). Surprise on surprise it actually lasted.

Boringly preperation is often the key so paying someone with a bath may be a good idea.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave
    When I re-did my RZ chambers having failed with VHT a few times I got them dipped in a stripping bath (steady on perves ) so they were dead clean. Then tried some of that PJ1 paint (they have a few types). Surprise on surprise it actually lasted.

Boringly preperation is often the key so paying someone with a bath may be a good idea.
    The reason VHT fails is because it HAS to be raised to a high temp to cure and unfortunately the back ends of bike exhausts don't get hot enough.If you can't borrow a kiln/oven forget it.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So why does it always burn off the front headers?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    K3 SV1000S
    Well I bit the bullet and took it into HPC http://www.hpcoatings.co.nz for a proper paint job, and I must say im stoked with the job they have done.

Cost me just shy of $100 and it has a polished aluminium look, rated to over 700oC and is gauranteed to stop corrosion for over 3 years. only took a week as well.
    Potzman

Bike
    Thanks for bringing this thread back up, I have an exhaust that needs some remedial work. I might go the cheapo option tho.
    Anyone know who's good for HPC or chroming in Wellington? I rang up one guy and what a f*cktard he was! No customer service at all. If I remeber who it was I wont be going there.
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    GSXR 450
    Quote Originally Posted by Potzman
    I have just discovered a pin hole in my expansion chamber( seems like a welding fault) so am going to get it patched up and strip her back then slap a fresh coat of paint/powder coating on.

What have poeple done in the past/recommend for sanding/ stripping it back with and what sort of paint/coating looks good and lasts the distance. The bike was new in january and its already got surface rust all over the expansion chamber.

What say you?
    Go to HPC, they will clean it up and then but an HPC coating on it, they have good prices and wont cost you over $100 though not by much, well worth it.

Edit: hmmm a bit late here just read first post...
    Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.
    Muhammad Ali

Bike
    K3 SV1000S
    Cheers Texmo, you da man

Potzman

Bike
    GSXR 450
    Quote Originally Posted by Potzman
    Cheers Texmo, you da man

I am glad im not the only one that thinks so
    Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.
    Muhammad Ali

Thread Information