Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ motorcycle magazines?

Bike
    Bikes

NZ motorcycle magazines?

It would be interesting to see what the consensus of thinking is out there on NZ motorcycle mags. :confused2 :confused2

How would you rate Kiwi Rider out of 10?
    How would you rate BRM out of 10?

There was mention recently that Kiwi Rider was missing the plot and trying to be all things to all people.
    OK, where in your opinions, should the mags direct their attentions?

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Kiwi rider gets a 6 from me. Not bad but not my scene. The bikes aren't given the performance testing I like to read about.

BRM gets a 1. Six months ago it would of got a 0. It's now just starting to get a personality. Kudos to the Editor and his wife for having a good go at it though. I like the finnish of the mag but although I enjoy touring, I'm not too interested in others stories of how good their PC800's gas mileage was between Milton and Gore.

Yamahamaman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by denill
    How would you rate Kiwi Rider out of 10?
    I did once subscribe to Kiwi Rider. Content: 90% advertising (includes advertising in the form of accessory reviews) About a 1.5 I give it.

Bike
    1999 Kawasaki ER-5
    I've always liked the British mags, and this doesn't just go for motorcycle ones. They seem to have more attitude. I'd like to see more off-the-wall articles and crazy silliness in general.

There is no NZ Dirtbike Rider - so KiwiRider is my first pick,always has been because they are always there.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    R6 & CRF sold, new bike is coming

Re KB

Used to buy KR due to off road intersts, they are ok for that or adventure riders, but as I said before, since Bentman went back to pommy land there road bike section lacks something, I therefore stopped buying it(Sorry John Nic) rate it about 3.0 as overall,

Have read BRM think its getting better with age (and thats thanks to some good KBer articles) like a good wine it will come right about 6.5 atm

firefight

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    I quite liked what I saw of Kiwirider.Best-seller,and best,mag here is RIDE,they test stuff to destruction from security gear to clothing,test as many used bikes as new ones,run a massive reader survey every year to find out what bikes are like to actually live with as opposed to test-ride from the makers fleet and have all kinds of intersting ideas.For example they did a long-distance run using an SP2,an ER5 Kawasaki(500 commuter twin) and a 1200 BMW,guy on the SP refused to ride it back because he was in agony and the little Kwack held up well against the BMW which cost about 4 times as much.Latest issue they asked readers(they keep a database from their survey) if they could come round and interview them on the security measures they used.While they were there they got a group of blokes to steal the bikes,showed how easy it was to get around the usual stuff then gave the owners the gear they recommended.biggest eye-opener was that in 2 cases passers-by just ignored 4 blokes lifting a motorbike into the back of a van.

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 2009 Yamaha FZ1-N
    I find that each magazine caters for different folks, to me BRM is about Harley Riders (back of the mag) and people who like to ride/cruise/etc. One cannot compare it to any of the overseas magazines as it is aimed at a small segment of the population.

And Motu summed up KiwiRider for me.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    bike trader is for me - nice to dream. there's so much stuff online now it's silly, so i just do the trader in the loo thing.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    i hope that's not too much info.....

Bike
    2011 CB1000R
    I'm-a-trader-on-the-throne reader too
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    etiquette? treat it like every other vehicle on the road, assume they are a blind, ignorant brainless cunt who is out to kill you, and ride accordingly

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Fast Bike, Performance Bike, Superbike Mag are the ones for me.

Don't like NZ mags as a general rule. Too small a distribution so they rely HEAVILY on advertising to make up for poor subscription costs (yes I know I am contributing by buying OS mags)

Also the UK Mags are better for the up to the minute bike tests, hooliganism and generally the type of riding and bikes I like.

Don't like OZ mags like 2 Wheels as they are too journalistic.

Bike
    GSXR 750 (No 10)
    Both NZ mags mentioned deserve -20 each. Absolute crap. Every month I con myself into buying trader and news and yup, every month it's full of shit. BRM is starting to get a personality as the deviant Mr Trash mentioned, but there's no excuse for sloppy prose and awful photography. MPG figures and other wank........not interested. Pommy mags are the only periodicals worth reading.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo750
    Both NZ mags mentioned deserve -20 each. Absolute crap. Every month I con myself into buying trader and news and yup, every month it's full of shit. BRM is starting to get a personality as the deviant Mr Trash mentioned, but there's no excuse for sloppy prose and awful photography. MPG figures and other wank........not interested. Pommy mags are the only periodicals worth reading.
    You would say that ya pommy git!

Sod off back to the UK and stop stealing our women!

Bike
    None any more
    The kiwi bike magazines do OK given that they have no financial backing. Kiwirider has the odd good article and some of their contributing reviewers do a pretty good job. BRM is starting to improve, and the glossy paper and colour pics help its look and feel. Motorcycle Trader and News is the real bolter in this field, drawing heavily on Alan Cathcart reviews and also helped by glossy paper.

I enjoy the Aussie "Two Wheels" and the UK "Motorcycle Sport and Leisure" -- both mags proving that it's possible to inject a bit of intelligence into the study of motorcycles, rather than having to rely on tits and minge to make a sale!
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Thread Information