Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha DT175 help

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries

Yamaha DT175 help

i have a brand new dt 175
    it has 500 odd km on the clock,its a good bike, but its...
    SLOW, very slow, no powerband, nothing, not much torque, it seems like 1/2 the power of a AG200!
    what can i do to improve its performance, why is it so slow from standard?
    thanks
    carver

Get it run if first,1000km of thrashing,then deristrict it.They have a washer in the header pipe,you might need someone to cut it out,open up the airbox lid,pull the carb and check for restrictors,and also full throttle slide travel,check the muffler as well.Someone with more knowledge may have a special trick.I was always disapointed in the DT175,it's a great little bike,but the older,like 70s DT175s were much more powerful,they turned into a learner bike and became slow.Find an MX top end....but you wouldn't want to do that with a new bike.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries

thanks

i will give it a look,what i really want is a peaky powerband, not too violent,but just a range that i can get the power out of it when i ride it on the road (80% of the time)
    if anyone else can offer help with the dt its much apreciated.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries

one more quest

i have removed the washer in the exhaust header, it goes nuts now, pulls wheelies in 1st gear without any clutch action BUT
    when cruising along (just at a steady speed) it misses like hell, when putting on the power its fine, when letting off the throttle it occasionally fires just once or twice, what is needed to make her run good?
    the mixture is cool,the plug is a tan colour.
    colder plug?
    any risk to the piston?
    i have had this bike 11 days, so its still under warranty, but it has 600 odd kms on it, will yamaha care that i have de restricted it when it goes in for its 1000km service?
    carver
    ps: the restrictor was a real b*tch to get out, it was weled in with some mig spot welds, the diameter of the outlet with the restrictor was about 20mm dia, now its about 60!

I wouldn't do any jetting adjustments with just a new bike,maybe reset the idle mixture.It could be running normal,at cruise on light throttle openings 2 strokes run real bad,mine is embarassing,but I think DT175s should be pretty good.The odd bang on overun is quite normal too,just a 2 stroke characteristic.That's good about the exhaust restrictor giving heaps more power eh?
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries

thanks so much

yeah, the dt goes nuts now
    i put the fuel/air screw 3 turns out,she runs smooth as now, NO deposits on the plug,im real surprised as to how hard it goes,
    im happy with the performance now!
    i have had 4 close calls on it in 3 days, none of em my fault though.
    its a great bike, now all iwant to do is stiffen up the front forks, cause its easy to bottom out.
    cheers
    carver

Bike
    1999 RMX 250
    How far in the header pipe is the washer? Is it a pull out affair or do I have to cut it out? Any other tips to liven the old DT up? Thanks.

Bike
    2005 Gas Gas EC250
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryW
    How far in the header pipe is the washer? Is it a pull out affair or do I have to cut it out? Any other tips to liven the old DT up? Thanks.
    I would say so..... send a PM to carver, he is still active as he logged on today and he will be able to help you, I don't know much about DT's ,athough my dad has a DT230.
    WM
    Wellyman

Bike
    pw80
    hi carver, i am lookin at getin a dt 175 ( new $4,500 ) as a first road bike, i live in the adelaide suburbs and still go to school, do ya think its a good idea to get one, or will i get bored of it?
    cheers aaron

Bike
    05 iHornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron h View Post
    hi carver, i am lookin at getin a dt 175 ( new $4,500 ) as a first road bike, i live in the adelaide suburbs and still go to school, do ya think its a good idea to get one, or will i get bored of it?
    cheers aaron
    Hi Aaron, theres plenty of good roads and probably tracks around Adelaide from what Ive seen when visiting my sister. Guess tho track riding would be restricted when its too dry tho. But having owned an early DT I'm sure you'd get around just fine.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries

dt

Quote Originally Posted by aaron h View Post
    cheers aaron
    the DT was a good bike, well finished, but i prefer honda's NXR 125, its slower, but way less nervous and much better on fuel.
    The DT vibrates alot though.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha RT180
    i was just wondering how you remove the washer?
    anyadvise wld be great.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries

Bike
    1999 Yamaha DT 175
    I just removed the exhaust restriction in my '99 DT 175 and it also runds like a pig (really spluttery) at really low throttle openings - but sweet at all others (idle, half, full). It feels like it almost doubled the power.

Raising and lowering the jet needle doesn't fix the roughness - neither does adjusting the idle screw.

Carver - was yours running fine at 60km/h in 6th with a slightly open throttle after your adjustments?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick JD View Post
    I just removed the exhaust restriction in my '99 DT 175 and it also runds like a pig (really spluttery) at really low throttle openings - but sweet at all others (idle, half, full). It feels like it almost doubled the power.

Raising and lowering the jet needle doesn't fix the roughness - neither does adjusting the idle screw.

Carver - was yours running fine at 60km/h in 6th with a slightly open throttle after your adjustments?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    to be honest, that was 5 years ago and probably 20 bikes ago....

Thread Information