Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone got a spare fuel pump?

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S

anyone got a spare fuel pump?

I still haven't sorted the Zeal out, it's been out of action for the last couple of weeks now .
    Anyway, I've determined it's not the plugs or coils, it's not the airbox. So I'm currently thinking that the fuel pump might be dodgy. The bike idles fine but when I try to accelerate, it loses power and runs badly.

Does anyone have a fuel pump from an fzx 250, fzr250 or some other pump that might do the trick for just a test? I just want to swap another pump in there to see if it improves things. I don't actually know how critical the fuel pump pressures will be or how much they vary between bikes.

I checked the price of a new fuel pump, $300 (although Henderson Motorcycles said they could give me a $40 discount on that. Still it isn't cheap).
    It would be good to be able to try another pump in there before coughing up the money as I'm not 100% sure it is the pump.
    I still have to try wreckers to see if they have any suitable pumps.

Here is the original thread: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19298
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7578.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	19870  

Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erik
    I still haven't sorted the Zeal out, it's been out of action for the last couple of weeks now .
    Anyway, I've determined it's not the plugs or coils, it's not the airbox. So I'm currently thinking that the fuel pump might be dodgy. The bike idles fine but when I try to accelerate, it loses power and runs badly.

Does anyone have a fuel pump from an fzx 250, fzr250 or some other pump that might do the trick for just a test? I just want to swap another pump in there to see if it improves things. I don't actually know how critical the fuel pump pressures will be or how much they vary between bikes.

I checked the price of a new fuel pump, $300 (although Henderson Motorcycles said they could give me a $40 discount on that. Still it isn't cheap).
    It would be good to be able to try another pump in there before coughing up the money as I'm not 100% sure it is the pump.
    I still have to try wreckers to see if they have any suitable pumps.

Here is the original thread: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19298

Erik

that should be the same pump as the FZR250..from what it sounds like.. could be the carbs too( check that if the pump dont fix it.)
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

SARGE
    represented by GCM

Bike
    ZX9R, KLF300 waverunner tower :)
    I would have thought that your bike would have a pulse pump for the fuel, driven off a vaccum feed from one of the intakes, not an electric one, weird, that one does look electric (unless a vaccum line is underneath there somewhere)

Try calling Henry at Takanini Motorcycle Wreckers
    Matty C

Have you taken your bike over any sweet jumps?

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyc
    I would have thought that your bike would have a pulse pump for the fuel, driven off a vaccum feed from one of the intakes, not an electric one, weird, that one does look electric (unless a vaccum line is underneath there somewhere)

Try calling Henry at Takanini Motorcycle Wreckers
    Yep, it's an electric pump. Looking in the FZR400 manual, the fzr400 pump looks the same as well. I didn't realise there were vacuum driven pumps on bikes (but I haven't looked at many bikes).

Bike
    you could ask InDeSkyz to try her fuel pump ? I work with her, she also has a Zeal, she has had quite a few issues with it, but may let you borrow it to test if that is the problem
    Matty C

Bike
    Hiya Erik.
    Takanini Motorcycle Wreckers, $70 2nd hand approx 6 weeks ago. Apparently they were a bit of a problem.
    In the meantime, try taking the outlet off the pump and switching on the key, just watch out as there will be quite a stream of gas if it's working correctly.
    .....is the answer

Bike
    1999 SV650S
    I've had the fuel pump on my old fzr die on me, it looks to be the same as the one in your picture. However it wouldn't start or run at all when the fuel pump wasn't working. Once it died just as I pulled out to overtake a car. It was either going or not going, as opposed to sort of going which you've described.
    "They say that if I do bungy jumping too much, I might get brian damage."
    "I don't even know who Brian is"

Is that a pump? I don't see any wires.Take it out and bench test it,pressure and flow....try to make it fail.Is it a rotary or pulse pump - bring it to me and I'll run it on a scope,see what's happening inside....
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S
    Quote Originally Posted by forty two
    Hiya Erik.
    Takanini Motorcycle Wreckers, $70 2nd hand approx 6 weeks ago. Apparently they were a bit of a problem.
    In the meantime, try taking the outlet off the pump and switching on the key, just watch out as there will be quite a stream of gas if it's working correctly.
    That sounds a lot better than $260.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenfunkstar
    I've had the fuel pump on my old fzr die on me, it looks to be the same as the one in your picture. However it wouldn't start or run at all when the fuel pump wasn't working. Once it died just as I pulled out to overtake a car. It was either going or not going, as opposed to sort of going which you've described.
    yeah, that's the thing. I dunno if the fuel pump can only be part going (like maybe not developing enough pressure when the throttle is open) or if when they die, they die completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Is that a pump? I don't see any wires.Take it out and bench test it,pressure and flow....try to make it fail.Is it a rotary or pulse pump - bring it to me and I'll run it on a scope,see what's happening inside....
    It's got wires, you just can't see them in that photo.
    It's a pulse pump. The attached pic is from the FZR400 manual, the Zeal pump looks the same and I assume has the same internals.
    I've kind of tested the flow, I disconnected the fuel line from the carbs and had ran it into a container for a few seconds. But I really need to test it under pressure, which gets more complicated. Thanks for your offer, I'll keep it in mind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fzr400 fuel pump.gif 
Views:	16 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	19899  

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Just a thought Eric
    Have a look at the car world ...The way the factorys work is they go to a smaller factory and say I want a pump to do this job and I want to pay X amount for it ,,,
    So you MAY find that some of the smaller cars use the same or similar pumps ...AnD will possibly be a damn site cheaper than MC parts ,,,

and Example of what I mean is Triumph bonnie,,,the front pads a MC and cost MC prices but mini cooper pads are the same and you get 4 in a box ,,for a hell of a lot cheaper..

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Its yellow. Sometimes a green one
    Blog Entries
    A pump from a early 80s honda accord will work fine. the hoses are a little bigger but not a problem. you will need to change the wiring plug too but you should be able to get one for stuff all from a wrecker.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by R1madness
    A pump from a early 80s honda accord will work fine. the hoses are a little bigger but not a problem. you will need to change the wiring plug too but you should be able to get one for stuff all from a wrecker.
    Have you tried it man? If So Sweet, but my thoughts A car (1600cc) would need a hell of a lot more fuel pressure than a 250, and id hate to see poor Erik blowing his carbs inside out, if you were to run a bigger pump a fuel pressure regulator may be the go.

Id go see Motu and get him to test your pressure on a scope, also finding out what psi the fuel should be, then you can run a larger pump and a regulator to regulate it down to the correct psi, id imagine the pressure being between 6-12 psi or so, make sure you dont try and EFI pump :P they will be up in the 40 -80 psi range
    Matty C

I've got a Purolator pulse pump here,but it puts out 4 to 8 psi,you only want about 2 psi for a bike.You can give it a try if you like Erik,it might be prone to floading that's all....a bit big too,but if it's only temp to test it's no big deal.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S
    So many options. Another kb member has pm'd me saying he might have a new fzr250 pump lying around. and I was planning to take the bike to KK's this week to let him have a look and maybe try a car pump if he's got one.

Now that you say it's supposed to be about 2psi, I reckon I could use one of my carb balancer gauges (they read small pressures as well as vacuums) and rig up a can with a couple of openings and a restriction on one to test the pressure and flow... sounds like fun
    But I've got 4 exams next week and lots of study to do so I should probably leave things till after exams!
    Cheers everyone.

Bike
    Its yellow. Sometimes a green one
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyc
    Have you tried it man? If So Sweet, but my thoughts A car (1600cc) would need a hell of a lot more fuel pressure than a 250, and id hate to see poor Erik blowing his carbs inside out, if you were to run a bigger pump a fuel pressure regulator may be the go.

Id go see Motu and get him to test your pressure on a scope, also finding out what psi the fuel should be, then you can run a larger pump and a regulator to regulate it down to the correct psi, id imagine the pressure being between 6-12 psi or so, make sure you dont try and EFI pump :P they will be up in the 40 -80 psi range
    It worked fine on FZR400s and 250s (both prone to pump failure) haven't tried it on a Zeal but dont see it being a problem. I see your point just remember to not get one from a fuel injected car.... now that would cause problems.

Thread Information