Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any TL owners done an airbox mod?

Bike
    08 RMZ 450

Any TL owners done an airbox mod?

just been looking through the jiffy park website and saw the joe Vs airbox mod and was wondering if any one here has done it?

Bike
    K6 1000
    Yeah I removed the flapper valves in the airbox of the TLR, The TLS is different, DEATH has done the airbox mod to a TLS, send him a pm.

Bike
    Girlz bikes rule :-)

Thumbs up Yep

Mate I did.

If you have a TLs thens Joes mod is not the right one for you.

The TLs airbox mod is a little more complicated

Did it make a lot of differance? Well it was fun to do and seat of the pants dyno said that it felt better.

Check out rupes site he gives a great blow by blow (and pics) link off tlplanet

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    The only instance I know of, the new owner put it back to standard to make it run right.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    Karl don't fuck with it . Put a K&N into it & leave it alone . Make's me laugh these peolpe that think they know better than a Company that spend's Million's on developing these bike's . Why do you think they put out motor's with 170hp Standard with out fucken cut hole's in airbox's etc ??? Think about play with it & you'll create another problem some where else !!

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Bike
    08 RMZ 450
    yeah i wasn't going to touch it. it has enough for me.
    just interesting to see if anyone has done it.
    i only want to get a TRE to see if that helps running in town speeds.
    they have changed the mapping from the 97 to the 98 i think, would hate to see it with the 97 mapping.

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    They changed the mapping as it was to Nasty & the bike would wheelie all to time even coming out of corner's which made afew poeple crash so they retarded it to soften it alittle . Bugger cann't have that now

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Bike
    RC36, WR, RS250, GSXR1000, Duke250, IZH
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Karl don't fuck with it . Put a K&N into it & leave it alone . Make's me laugh these peolpe that think they know better than a Company that spend's Million's on developing these bike's . Why do you think they put out motor's with 170hp Standard with out fucken cut hole's in airbox's etc ??? Think about play with it & you'll create another problem some where else !!
    right in one sense, but as always they have to work with compromises such as noise regulations, emissions, fuel consumption, mass production and manufacturing costs. So the problems you may have could include increased airbox noise, increased pollutants and the hours it will take you to cut and tidy the airbox, maybe for no increase in any other area? Do what I did and buy another airbox and work on that (RGV - made no difference)

The other thing to point out is that some manufacturers spend millions on developing a bike and are forced to put it on the street 'as is' because you can only spend so many million on one model, I remember one manufacturer bought out this shitty Rotary Damping on two of thier models, I pity the poor bastards who own one of those

Bike
    K6 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by FzerozeroT
    right in one sense, but as always they have to work with compromises such as noise regulations, emissions, fuel consumption, mass production and manufacturing costs. So the problems you may have could include increased airbox noise, increased pollutants and the hours it will take you to cut and tidy the airbox, maybe for no increase in any other area? Do what I did and buy another airbox and work on that (RGV - made no difference)

The other thing to point out is that some manufacturers spend millions on developing a bike and are forced to put it on the street 'as is' because you can only spend so many million on one model, I remember one manufacturer bought out this shitty Rotary Damping on two of thier models, I pity the poor bastards who own one of those
    Agree with you on this one,Like the exhaust valve on the gsxr1000 it may help revs low down but is louder and increases flow without and increases HP with it gone.So they may be useful if you putt around town.
    Funny how the airbox and exhaust valves are shut at half revs where they test noise and emissions.
    If you think they did all the research to make the bike perfect why would you bother putting exhaust,filter,TRE, power commander etc.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    A friend of mine was testing a particular bike on the dyno which had all manner of snorkels & restrictors etc. He took them off & lost a bunch of power, so put them back on & found it did better without only one of them no matter what was done to the jetting. Always beware when changing the restriction of the intake how easy it is to adjust the fuelling to suit.

On my YZF (carb’d rather than FI of course) I fitted a K&N & lost a bunch of horsepower till I jetted up, as it flowed better, but sadly the power on the best jets was exactly the same as before. The power restriction must be elsewhere in this case.

Also keep in mind air likes to flow over smooth rounded surfaces rather than sharp holes. Those holes sure will make it 'sound' faster. Hmmph.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    thats wrong sensei....the reason it was restricted so badly is to do with emisions....and airbox noise.... In the original press realeses on the TL motors they were sitting on display with huge airboxes attached to them...almost double the size of what is on the tls from factory...

go and have a read up on the TL airbox mod sensei....its not about masacering the airbox...its about un-restricting it....as the main entry to the airbox is a few mm smaller than one of the throttle bodies...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FzerozeroT

right on FT [by the way is your name ment to be a clever way of been names FOOT? ]
    And yes the rotary damper is a peice of shit...spend your money on suspension...ohlins rear shock and get the front forks re-valved...ring robert taylor and hawera motorcycles....makes a massive difference to the bike...and treats rear tyres alot better...Fzerozerot has seen how nicely the rear of my bike wears its tyre at a taupo a few weeks ago [and no I wasn't riding like a nana]....rear shock will cost ya $1256 and forks $950 sounds like alot...but you will be grinning from ear to ear...the difference is amazing...the front forks track increadible tight through high speed corners....and they feel planted...and the shock is brillent...I can scrape the foot pegs on my TL....before...shit you would be mad if you were [loosebruce is mad and he probally did]

Good to see you got the TLs....hows it going....enjoying it??? I hope your gunna replace that shit standard steering damper with a ohlins!!! they make the steering a whole lot lighter!!!
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    08 RMZ 450
    funny you talk about the damper i changed the oil in it last night from 5W to 2.5W and it feels alot better.

i seen robert last weekend and he told me about the suspension it would be good but the cost puts me off a bit at the moment.
    shaun also does ohlins and he giving me some tyres cheap so will prob deal through him.

Bike
    yeah the cost does seem high....but the difference is worth it....now that I've done it...I would have paid twice that for the work....

Ps:the payouts gone up to $4....I'm sure u have a lil more spending money???
    hows your production going? I'm canning it over here....last year the sharemilker did 170,292kg/ms with 470cows with meal and maize....I'm on target for 183,000 with 450 cows....[all grass]

Bike
    08 RMZ 450
    we are averaging 9o solids a day above last year.
    about 9.5%ahead for the season on last year too.
    its all going good here we milking 270 here.
    you 50%?
    it our first 50% job into our second year of 3 yr term and landowner asked us to sign on for a further 3 yr term so prob will and look at equity partnerships because farms so expensive.
    we looking at aussie at the moment too, just so we done have the capital gains to go against plus no need to buy shares.

what you looking at doing?

Thread Information