Page 97 of 102 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1522

Thread: Lane splitting/filtering: the legal and commonsense answers

Bike
    EX250
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk5614 View Post
    Biker can overtake on the left, if traffic is stationary.

"2.8 Passing on left
    (1) A driver must not pass or attempt
    to pass on the left of another
    vehicle moving in the same
    direction except in accordance
    with this clause.
    (2) In any case in which the
    movement referred to sub clause
    (1) may be made,—
    (a) the 2 vehicles must be in
    different lanes; or
    (b) the overtaken vehicle must be
    stationary or its driver must
    have given or be giving
    the prescribed signal of that
    driver’s intention to turn right;"

Biker can overtake on the right, with due regard and consideration

"2.7 Passing on right
    A driver must not pass or attempt to
    pass on the right of another vehicle
    moving in the same direction when—
    (a) approaching or crossing an
    intersection unless—
    (i) the roadway is marked in lanes
    and the driver can make the
    movement without the driver’s
    vehicle encroaching on a lane
    available for opposing traffic;
    or
    (ii) in any other case, the driver
    can make the movement
    with safety and with due
    consideration for users of the
    intersecting road; or"

Driver must indicate for 3 secs before changing lane.

"A driver who intends to turn or move to the right or to draw out from a kerb on the left side of the vehicle must signal for at least 3 seconds either—
    (a)by means of an approved signalling device; or
    (b)if an arm signal can be clearly seen from both the front and the rear of the vehicle, by extending the right arm directly outwards in a horizontal position."

Driver in the wrong but how fast were you going????
    The speed was 10kmh. Mine case wasn't exactly like this, and it was resolved friendly. But I started speculating on the case, because it seems to me pretty typical.
    According to your extractions motorcycles "overtake" within the same lane. I've found determinations of "passing" and "overtaking" on the NZTA web site (Appendix 3E from 2007)
    It looks like if the motorcycle's wheels were on the right lane then motorcycle was really overtaking, BUT right lane car within the right lane, which was stationary all the time.
    And technically the blue car (even if it indicated) is wrong in this situation anyway. But what moment and which position is taken to consideration is unclear. And how is considered that the motorcycle (when filtering) constantly changes lanes?
    Upgraded! Slow Orange Green Cruiser Sport

Bike
    2003 Buell xb9r

Blah

Nice diagram by the way.
    My take on it is I will always lane split in slow traffic as I want to get home a lot quicker than those in their cars, not recommended but I have weighed up all the pros and cons and if I was not to then I might as well take my car.
    Yes I have had a slight altercation, broke the other motorists wing mirror ( Van ), they did change lanes without indicating or looking, didnt come off bike, hurled abuse and carried on - never saw them again.
    My only advice if you do it is to have your RIGHT indicator on - so you can claim you were overtaking on their right and makes you more visible to those that look in thier mirrors.
    Accept the ticket if you get one.
    Accept the fact that everyone will cut you off, pull out on you and U turn in front of you. You will not win they have more mass than you.
    Had one guy hog 2 lanes so I couldnt lane split - moved over to the far left and went down there, he realised where I was and pushed me into the emergency lane by swerving into me to try and cut me off.
    Must have been having a bad hair day. Got past and gave him a friendly wave.
    Lane split and get home quicker or maybe not at all - your choice.
    Happy as a dog with 2 cocks - dont know which one to lick

Bike
    2008, Triumph America
    Nothing new under the sun, but got pulled over by MB cops yesterday at 5 pm (Auckland SH1 on-ramp, from Wellesley St E). Got the 'new sheriff in town' talk and that there will be zero tolerance for any filtering at a cost of $150 going forward. Seems a bit at odds with the last one I got a couple of months ago (cop car on SH1 around Takapuna, going South), that suggested I stay at less than 30 km/h when traffic slows down, but I'm guessing there is either a new enforcement doctrine or new staff?

Bike
    CB1300
    They just had a class of recruits graduate. Related?

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooz View Post
    Nothing new under the sun, but got pulled over by MB cops yesterday at 5 pm (Auckland SH1 on-ramp, from Wellesley St E). Got the 'new sheriff in town' talk and that there will be zero tolerance for any filtering at a cost of $150 going forward. Seems a bit at odds with the last one I got a couple of months ago (cop car on SH1 around Takapuna, going South), that suggested I stay at less than 30 km/h when traffic slows down, but I'm guessing there is either a new enforcement doctrine or new staff?
    Do you mean filtering (past stationary traffic to the front of the queue) or lane-splitting?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    2008, Triumph America
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Do you mean filtering (past stationary traffic to the front of the queue) or lane-splitting?
    He spoke about filtering, but I'd assume he meant lane-splitting as passing stationary traffic should be legal, although it might be hard to argue the difference on a motorway unless it is at a city-wide standstill. (He also mentioned something about it taking him 18 months to get certified for filtering, which I assume means passing moving traffic as a motorbike cop?)

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    They just had a class of recruits graduate. Related?

Sent via tapatalk.
    Recruits don't get to ride patrol bikes.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Recruits don't get to ride patrol bikes.
    I did wonder why he got pulled by Milton Bradley cops.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooz View Post
    He spoke about filtering, but I'd assume he meant lane-splitting as passing stationary traffic should be legal, although it might be hard to argue the difference on a motorway unless it is at a city-wide standstill. (He also mentioned something about it taking him 18 months to get certified for filtering, which I assume means passing moving traffic as a motorbike cop?)
    So if it's not legal, how can they do it? Or is it only done in emergency situations with lights and sirens?

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    So if it's not legal, how can they do it? Or is it only done in emergency situations with lights and sirens?
    Probably. In which case they can't claim to be half as safe as a rider that does it every day.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P

ps..."18 months to get certified for filtering"...really??...to learn how to filter!...no bloody wonder Rastuscat left

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Bike
    2008, Triumph America
    Quote Originally Posted by willytheekid View Post

ps..."18 months to get certified for filtering"...really??...to learn how to filter!...no bloody wonder Rastuscat left
    Adding fuel to the flames: http://motorbikewriter.com/victoria-...ane-filtering/

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    It's legal in most Australian states. As usual, we are way behind.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    It's legal in most Australian states. As usual, we are way behind.
    What they're talking about is filtering, not lane splitting. Filtering (past stationary traffic) is already legal here.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    What they're talking about is filtering, not lane splitting. Filtering (past stationary traffic) is already legal here.
    Thanks, I thought both were illegal here.

Thread Information