View Poll Results: Whilst Lanesplitting / filtering have you...

Voters
396. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never touched a car

242 61.11%
  • Clipped mirrors but did not fall

146 36.87%
  • Fell Minor Damage

4 1.01%
  • Fell Major Damage

4 1.01%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting - Accidents

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries

Lane splitting - Accidents

Inspired from speedmedics thread
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21668

Have you had an accident whilst lane splitting?
    If so what happened?
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    Your Face
    Quote Originally Posted by XP@
    Inspired from speedmedics thread
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21668

Have you had an accident whilst lane splitting?
    If so what happened?
    NO!

:eyepoke:
    The world will look up and shout "Save Us!", and I'll whisper "no"

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    I ocassionally nick an elbow on mirrors or c**nts that move over with out indicating, but nothing to class as an injury as such.

I split at a fair pace most days to uni rain hail or shine at all times of the day. Only major incident I had on the motorway was when not splitting and traffic stopped all of a sudden, had I been splitting would not of even blinked.

Bike
    04 R6
    nah i have been splitting everyday from the shore to newmarket for the last 18months and havnt even had a slightly close call. I find that if you pay attention to drivers and regognise danger zones like on ramp sections and lanes moving faster than others you can split safely without any problems, I also feel safer being between the cars rather than having some idiot on his cell behind me, a least when your between two they are less likley to hit each other. The only dangerous part is where there is gaps and cars could suddenly jump lanes, but you need to recognise those situations. I have also found alot of cages move over a let me through, always give the thanks wave to those who do as it will encourage them to keep doing it

Bike
    I split every morning up/down Onewa Road, and I've only ever clipped one cages mirror... I felt really bad about it (theres a thread on here somewhere about it).

I misjudged the distance between two cages and thought I could do a weave in and out thingy and clipped the right hand cages mirror... no damage to my bike or the car... needless so say I'm more careful now... if I'm unsure I slow down... more... lol
    I'm not a complete idiot... some pieces are missing

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong
    "Hi... I rang about the cats you have for sale..."..... "oh... you have children.... how much for the children?"

mucho papoosa bueno no panocha

Bike
    GSF1200S K6 Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by placidfemme
    I split every morning up/down Onewa Road, and I've only ever clipped one cages mirror... I felt really bad about it (theres a thread on here somewhere about it).

I misjudged the distance between two cages and thought I could do a weave in and out thingy and clipped the right hand cages mirror... no damage to my bike or the car... needless so say I'm more careful now... if I'm unsure I slow down... more... lol
    Same, only did it once, in my defense it was on a bike I had only had for 2 weeks (GSX1200), it was a dark foggyish sort of morning on the NW motorway, I said sorry, knowing he couldn't hear me, felt like a right twat, and kept on shaking my head for a few k's on. Never had, seen or heard of anyone else have anyhting more serious than that.

Would be real nice to have a bike lane, narrower than for a car and hard up against the barrier (centre median) to be used when the traffic is congested only.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    Lol, I admire your sense of humour mate, good to see a few of us don't mind a bit of stirring

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    I have hit 2 mirrors while filtering/splitting, both times they moved into my line and I stopped and re-aligned them for them. I noticed it did scare the crap out of the cagers tho! lol
    And there was one occasion when I smashed one off deliberately but that isnt really relevant to this thread....

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not paying attention!"
    "There is no limit to dumb."

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Blog Entries
    hell man.. i split every day down the NW.. never had a problem in between cars..

got my shit scuffed last week acting like a responsible citizen..

never again... i still cant walk right..
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

SARGE
    represented by GCM

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Only ever clipped one mirror, cause the asre-hole was too close to the centre-line
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    30 and odd years, only knocked a couple of mirrors that I recall. Just moved them, not broken. And walloped one of those big rubber splash protector things trucks have on their wheel arches with my crashbars.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    Not touched a car yet while lane spliting.

If the trafic is moving I stay in line, if stopped I'll slip through the gaps a little over walking pace.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    ZX9R, KLF300 waverunner tower :)
    Nope ive never made contact with anything, if you treat everyone like they are a complete fuckwit (which is true for a large number) then u will be sweet
    Matty C

Have you taken your bike over any sweet jumps?

Bike
    Big ol' Hornet.
    Looong time ago I was splitting the lanes at a red light. Was a red commodore at the front of the left lane and a ute towing a tandem trailer in the right. As I got to the front, the lights turned green when the dipshit in the commordore opened his door right into me.:slap:. The force pushed me and my bike onto the wheels of the tandem trailer that had just taken off at the lights, and we were stuck there being dragged down the road. My leg fit perfectly between the two wheels. Luckily the driver felt the impact and realised what was happening, pulled over and stopped. some friendly people helped pull my bike off the side of the trailer but as they did the radiator popped open and there was a huge dent in the tank, but didn't puncture it. The only damage to the commodore was two fingernail size paint chips on the edge of the door! And he was a panelbeater!
    I was gutted to say the least, but I had just taken the fairings off to be painted so at least they were saved. I was 5 months pregnant and that was the only thing that kept me off my bike til after my girl was born.
    Put me off splitting lanes at the lightsfor a while anyway
    Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
    Heinlein

MotoTT Trackdays

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    this one time, on the way to band practice, i tangled with a transhit's mirror.. i don't know if you know how big they are... they are big!! but i still managed to hit it with my mirror!!

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    Honda
    Never had any sorta clip yet but it dose worry me when cage drivers start to edge into my path just have to slow down then and give them a heap of room

Thread Information