Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini/pocket bike for the kids

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter

Mini/pocket bike for the kids

Been looking on Tardme at what's going in the way of pocket bikes suitable for kids.

Wanting to get an idea of how cheaply I could get a pocket bike, second hand (not necessarily paying auction prices).

What I want is a pocket bike - trail config (like a JR50) or race config doesn't matter - of a suitable height for my kids (eldest aged 3, already riding 12" pushbike) to learn on, in going condition, cheap as possible. Cosmetic state matters not a whit - could always rip off the fairing and "Street-fighter" it, if it's too stuffed. If the chain or the brake pads need work, I could do that but I'm not up to getting the engine running.

I would also need some advice on how to limit the bike's speed. Would some sort of block on the throttle cable to limit how far it turns be suitable?

Any ideas, pointers, leads would be most appreciated.
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Have a look on www.creatnz.net . They have the cheapest bikes by far since they bulk buy once they get the minimum order (so you could be waiting a few weeks untill you get your bike). A cheap minimoto may be a good start as they're still fairly slow and tame from what I know, WT can handle one so your kids surely will. I few kiddies were riding around the Kaitoke Kart track at a slow pace when I had a look there

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by alarumba
    WT can handle one so your kids surely will.

mutter mutter fucking 10 characters...
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    ZPF Rep, GP3 Rep, B2 (alloy B1)
    few kiddies were riding around the Kaitoke Kart track at a slow pace when I had a look there
    That kid was 4 mate!!
    Were you on one of the thumpstars?
    I didn't see ya round if you weren't.

Bike
    Sniff... None
    The minimoto style bikes can get real twitchy. If the kid isn't going fast, probably not a concern, but if they do... My daughter is shit scared of mine. Doesn't mind taking it for a scoot with the motor off, but won't ride it with the motor on.

Personally if I were buying a bike for her I'd get a cheapie trail bike style thing. Suspension etc so they can use it on grass etc (softer landings while they're getting used to it). Minimotos are rock solid hard. Even a kid wouldn't want to ride one on anything less than a perfectly manicured lawn.
    "You, Madboy, are the Uncooked Pork Sausage of Sausage Beasts. With extra herbs."
    - Jim2 c2006

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by madboy
    Personally if I were buying a bike for her I'd get a cheapie trail bike style thing. Suspension etc so they can use it on grass etc (softer landings while they're getting used to it). Minimotos are rock solid hard. Even a kid wouldn't want to ride one on anything less than a perfectly manicured lawn.
    What cheapie trail bikes are available? Only trail ones I've seen are the Suzukis - JR50 and the larger JR80. Only cheap ones I've seen are sprots boiks.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Have a look on www.creatnz.net .
    Same as the ones that some dude on Tardme is selling for a higher price. They have a top speed of 50km/h - any way to tone that down? I'm not to keen on my 3-year old gunning it across the lawn at 50km/h fully manicured and soft or not...

And believe me, he knows what a throttle is for - opening out and holding open!
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    I'm pretty sure you can govern the throttle by loosening the throttle cable.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beast
    I'm pretty sure you can govern the throttle by loosening the throttle cable.
    So it turns most the way without doing anything and then opens up the carb only a little at the last bit of turn. Cunning! Sounds simpler than my idea of screwing some kind of block onto the throttle cable to limit how far it can travel - and easier to adjust to where you want it: hold the throttle hard open and then loosen the cable until the revs drop down to where you want them.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    I've been told that a lot of the Chinese-made minimotos have crap welds on the frame and that people strip 'em and reweld the frame so they won't break. Am I right in assuming that this is so they can bear the weight of an adult? If so, does that mean that the default crappy welds would still be strong enough and safe enough to bear the weight of a child (eldest is not yet even 20kg)?

I note the cheapest mini trail bike on creatnz is over twice the price of the minimotos. Was not planning on spending over $500 incl GST on something that is gonna be hacked about and presumably dropped by three kids while they learn - still need to buy decent helmets and other protective gear on top of price of bike.

The minimotos are closer to what I can afford but still a bit dear - was hoping I could find a second-hand mini bike in going order for around the $100-$150 mark.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    How about this Wolf?

49cc minimoto powered off roader. Suspension front and back. Disc brakes.

$290
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB902.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	250.1 KB 
ID:	24203  
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Unless you want a beaten up street magic, that you could ride too. $700neg. Runs fine. Just a little ugly

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash
    How about this Wolf?

49cc minimoto powered off roader. Suspension front and back. Disc brakes.

$290
    That looks pretty cool, looks new. What's the seat height?
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Yeah the welds are pretty shithouse, but we've never stripped a bike and re-welded it, only breakages we've had are from too much bending...woops...
    I know of a guy that is just over 100kg and used to ride a Day2 no sweat, upgraded to a faster bike now.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Unless you want a beaten up street magic, that you could ride too. $700neg. Runs fine. Just a little ugly
    Dude, they come out of the factory a little ugly!

Bit tall for the cubs, but if I had the dough I'd be tempted to get it to use as a hack for getting to work (if it's street legal).
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Thread Information