Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hollow 'popping' noise..??

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja

hollow 'popping' noise..??

not totally sure what it is, or if it's a potential problem.

When the bike is still cool from starting up (never ride off until the temp shows), up to 5 minutes into the ride, I hear a pop from the right hand side of the bike, like I've just run over a rock on the road. The pop is like a hollow 'tire-like' pop, but I've not hit anything and I know the road is clear. So it kind of points to the header pipes possibly? But what would cause it? There's a ticking in the engine at the moment, so could a valve not closing enough, allow the detonation to come thru? I think I might have just answered myself actually.

Anyway, any other thoughts or possibilities? The bike has had a good life and is coming up to 24,000kms, so it's going for valve checks etc in it's service coming up soon.

What potential damage could it be doing to the head, piston etc? It's always been run easy until it gets to running temp (around 65° upwards), and it's rarely bounced off the redline. Most of the time, the bike is changed around 12-14,000 when going hard, and behaves around town.

It's all stock too, no mods - yet

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    I get a hollow popping noise after eating coldslaw the day before....what do u put in the tank?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    i doubt that's hollow sometimes..

fuel, idiot. what else goes in there? always 95 minimum tho

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    not totally sure what it is, or if it's a potential problem.

When the bike is still cool from starting up (never ride off until the temp shows), up to 5 minutes into the ride, I hear a pop from the right hand side of the bike, like I've just run over a rock on the road. The pop is like a hollow 'tire-like' pop, but I've not hit anything and I know the road is clear. So it kind of points to the header pipes possibly? But what would cause it? There's a ticking in the engine at the moment, so could a valve not closing enough, allow the detonation to come thru? I think I might have just answered myself actually.

Anyway, any other thoughts or possibilities? The bike has had a good life and is coming up to 24,000kms, so it's going for valve checks etc in it's service coming up soon.

What potential damage could it be doing to the head, piston etc? It's always been run easy until it gets to running temp (around 65° upwards), and it's rarely bounced off the redline. Most of the time, the bike is changed around 12-14,000 when going hard, and behaves around town.

It's all stock too, no mods - yet
    Hmmm, if it was on the right-hand side and on a Harley I would say your mixture was too lean for the still too cold engine (if carbureted then needs more choke)- but it's not on the right hand side and it's not on a Harley!!
    But could be similar problem - check for a vacuum leak at an intake gasket or similar.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Mid 80s superbike, Mid 00s superbike
    It's probably just a small backfire BJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Ok im coming out of my closet just this one time , I too kinda have a curvy figure which makes it worse beacuse im a guy. Well the waist kinda goes in and the bum pushes out. When I was in college the girls in my year would slap me on the arse and squeeze because apparently it is firm, tight... I wear jeans
    .....if I find this as a signature Ill hunt you down, serious, capice?

Bike
    K6 1000
    One of your exhaust gaskets arent leaking?,That would cause a ticking noise.

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Your bike is broken, give it to me.
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by TILLER
    One of your exhaust gaskets arent leaking?,That would cause a ticking noise.
    have been thinking about that, since you mentioned it, but no, I don't think it is now. I had thought that may be a stone had punched a hole in the header, but it's not that type of noise.

And Gav, it shouldn't be backfiring!
    I reckon the injectors are probably just dirty, or the plug (s) need replacing cos it's not firing right

oh well, big service when I can afford it, so should be almost a new bike when I get it back

And snipe, need I answer that?

Bike
    Superman's Bike
    did you leave pop corn in your exhaust because i hear that gets annoying
    Whats that star?, its the deathstar, what does it do?, it does death!

Bike
    None any more
    Hollow popping noise? It's probably my broken collarbone. Here, let me do it for you now...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Mid 80s superbike, Mid 00s superbike
    Bring it to me, I'll take it for a ride and tell you my professional opinion.
    I won't charge you for the diagnosis either
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Ok im coming out of my closet just this one time , I too kinda have a curvy figure which makes it worse beacuse im a guy. Well the waist kinda goes in and the bum pushes out. When I was in college the girls in my year would slap me on the arse and squeeze because apparently it is firm, tight... I wear jeans
    .....if I find this as a signature Ill hunt you down, serious, capice?

Bike
    Whatever is in the garage - FXDC, Bking
    Blog Entries
    As the boys have said, sounds like a valve / timing problem.......... maybe a earlier service may be order?

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    NZTA Approved CBTA Instructor Assessor
    - Restricted + Full Licence Training & Testing
    - Onroad Coaching & Training
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    do you keep running over under proportioned bull frogs???
    Cibby play thing

Bike
    service booked. Thinking about it a little more, and knowing where the valve noise is coming from, I think it's just detonation coming thru the header. The clearance check should sort that out when it has open-heart surgery at Spectrum (highly highly recommended kwaka shop btw)

Bike
    xs400 -
    RI-ding o-ver bubble wrapp ..

DUnno .. justan i-deer .. :spudflip:

SOrry .. iffitts all-ready ben said .. :spudwave:
    THe hand's farster than the eye ... keepan eye onda feet .. .

Thread Information