Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Suzi GSX250

Bike
    rego on hold nick smith special
    Blog Entries
    hey koba good right up mate. thats really good im sure future 250 people will see what youve written.

Bike
    kawasaki ZZR600
    not a bad bike to learn on. is starting to get a little hard getting stock parts for it tho.

my owners manual says the dry weight is 169kg

im getting about 300km a tank, thats about 25L, and i rev the shit out of it everywere i go

top speed is about 165

Bike
    1989 Yamaha SR250
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    My bike took at least 4 highspeed knocks and survived fine! (None with me riding)My mates has been down even more that! (one with me riding ) Hes Flipped it at the traffic lights, High sided it, low sided it etc etc... And she is still ok!

Damn is this reassuring to hear! I'm thinking of buying [This](http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-181294971.htm) and getting it back on the road, I've been reading all the old threads about reregistering bikes and it's good to hear the frame definitely won't be an issue.

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
    Damn is this reassuring to hear! I'm thinking of buying [This](http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-181294971.htm) and getting it back on the road, I've been reading all the old threads about reregistering bikes and it's good to hear the frame definitely won't be an issue.
    Check it!
    Check every aspect of it, even with stringline if you ca to make sure the headstock is in line with the rear shock and swingarm pivot.
    They are hard to bend but it is possible on anything.

Make sure it is all there and easy enough to get going.

That buy-now sounds like HEAPS of money for a fucked bike...

He will probably find it hard to sell so if you let him wait a bit you will prob get it cheaper.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    88 GSXR250R

15 tooth front sprocket

Hi Koda,

You mentioned in an earlier post about adding a 15 tooth front sprocket to your GSX 250. I'm pretty green - is that something that I could source and easily do myself or would I be better off letting my new mates at Haldanes sort it out for me?

Cheers, Stevio

Bike
    Suzuki gsx250 04

Service and parts manual

Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    Ok here goes trying again, Prob broken into smaller chunks tho!

First, the confusion over models

The current GSX250 is the "Invader" This will be what the 2004 one

250 oilcooled twin, monoshock rear. the one most of us here know as a GSX250.

Its the fat bitch one, 179 dry by my manual, but could very well be 186 or whatever.

There was an old one, probably this "thunder"
    one 250 Aircoold twin with Dualshock rear end.

Also There has been the GSX250 KATANA, don know if sold new in NZ but I have seen them here. 4cyl Watercooled (maybe GSXR250 based) Twinshock KATANA style frame and fairing.

There was also the GSX250 "Across" another 4cyl watercooled with monoshock rear. It had an awesome helmet holder luggage compartment where the fuel tank normally sits, and tank I think was below seat. Very Close To Late 80's steel frame GSXR250.

I think bandit 250s are GSF250. Also often confused with GSX250s
    They are tubeframe naked with another version of the Waterpumping 250 4.
    Used as stressed member so the head has mounting lugs and also has different inlet/carb setup for more naked style power delivery.
    Later models 40hp restricted. There are very new ones of these hanging about.
    I am currently tempting to overhaul my GSX250 2004. Is there any chance I can get a copy of a service and or parts manual, or information of the whereabouts of one. It has proven difficult to find...

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...?id=1037832934

Or if you don't mind putting in a little bit of work, I'm selling mine for $1k!

They are awesome bikes but I wouldn't pay $6k for my first bike. I remember the feeling - I nearly bought a Ducatti 400S in my excitement and then saw sense. Save the extra $1000s for your big bike.

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by jcking View Post
    I am currently tempting to overhaul my GSX250 2004. Is there any chance I can get a copy of a service and or parts manual, or information of the whereabouts of one. It has proven difficult to find...
    No idea!
    That was 8 years ago...
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    Kidnapped one and rode it for a good 10,000 kms. Even with high miles it didn't skip a beat. Being a twin it has a nice smooth power band also being a tourer its comfortable on longer rides. You can feel the weight at low speeds and it is no rocket ship - if you look after it it'll run forever and wont feel as cramped compared to a full sports 250 - I'm geberalising the older ones (MC19/22 and FZR's etc).

It made me realize I'd be quite happy with a sports tourer rather than full out sports. I was really wanting an R6 for my first "real" bike but Now I'm thinking maybe an SV and evetually Zx14.
    Skulls N Flames. Bye bye FZR may you have many more miles with your new owner. 600cc time soon!

Bike
    gsx250
    Bit of a thread resurrection but I thought I'd chip in considering I bought one as my first bike.

I bought mine in late April in Napier and rode it all the way back to dork land. The only reason I bought it was because it was cheap and there wasn't much in Auckland at the time that brother thought were suitable to learn on. But in saying that I am pretty happy with it and it's been really reliable and good on gas (I get about 300km's from an 18 litre tank.)

The good:

She's quite easy to ride and very forgiving of my profoundly average riding with the only times I have nearly gone into a ditch are because of misjudged corners rather than because of the bike.

Despite weighing a lot more than she ought to, when I dropped her she wasn't too hard to pick up (although getting her onto the center stand eludes me) and the only damage was more cracks on the fairings but the indicators are bendy ones so they're fine.

The bad:

The gearbox ratios feel quite short. First doesn't seem really necessary and when cruising at 100km/h it seems to rev quite high at 9000 rpm but I have read that a 15 tooth front sprocket from a yamaha yz450f fits and helps with this.

The steering feels very heavy compared to the 250 bandit I've ridden. She also feels very slow when you ride other 250's.

She weighs a lot. 160 odd kilos. Changes depending on the year I think.

All in all If you don't spend a whole lot on them they're not bad first bikes but I wouldn't spend more than a couple grand on one as there are plenty of better bikes out there.

Bike
    91 nc30
    300km from a 18l tank? That's flippen terrible.

Bike
    Street Triple
    I'm getting 240 - 250kms from the 12L tank on my VL250. Not bad considering the 90kg fat bugger on her back.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=jafagsx250;1130980746]Bit of a thread resurrection but I thought I'd chip in considering I bought one as my first bike.

I bought mine in late April in Napier and rode it all the way back to dork land. The only reason I bought it was because it was cheap and there wasn't much in Auckland at the time that brother thought were suitable to learn on. But in saying that I am pretty happy with it and it's been really reliable and good on gas (I get about 300km's from an 18 litre tank.)

The good:

She's quite easy to ride and very forgiving of my profoundly average riding with the only times I have nearly gone into a ditch are because of misjudged corners rather than because of the bike.

Despite weighing a lot more than she ought to, when I dropped her she wasn't too hard to pick up (although getting her onto the center stand eludes me) and the only damage was more cracks on the fairings but the indicators are bendy ones so they're fine.

Okay how my dad taught me face the bike left hand on handle bar right on the seat or grab rail right foot on the centre stand.

push down with the foot and the bike will lift easy . use the arms to steady the bike . one smooth motion . not rocking rolling .

always walk the bike on the lft hand side or get on the bike left hand side side stand never the right.

Bike
    gsx250
    [QUOTE=actungbaby;1130981075]
    Quote Originally Posted by jafagsx250 View Post
    Bit of a thread resurrection but I thought I'd chip in considering I bought one as my first bike.

The good:

Okay how my dad taught me face the bike left hand on handle bar right on the seat or grab rail right foot on the centre stand.

push down with the foot and the bike will lift easy . use the arms to steady the bike . one smooth motion . not rocking rolling .

always walk the bike on the lft hand side or get on the bike left hand side side stand never the right.
    The couple times I have tried I ended up rocking and rolling it. I will give it another go tomorrow. I am cautious about dropping the bike onto my legs so i keep the side stand on. or dropping it onto its side so if I keep it long term I'll probably buy a paddock stand which uses the swing arms rather than pegs as there isn't room for them.

How come its bad to get onto the bike from the right hand side?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    [QUOTE=jafagsx250;1130981076]
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post

How come its bad to get onto the bike from the right hand side?
    because if you do, small puppies will die.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Thread Information